Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I entered a Tostitos contest

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

I entered a Tostitos contest

by Randy P » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Check it out, something a little different. -RP
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/foodbyt ... OST_RECENT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: I entered a Tostitos contest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:05 pm

Randy, I looked over some of the recipes but wasn't able to work out which one was yours--please divulge!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:45 pm

My link opens to mine, the taco bites. Its one unsophisticated packaged food type recipe that I thought would appeal to the contest types. -RP
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:21 pm

Randy P wrote:My link opens to mine, the taco bites. Its one unsophisticated packaged food type recipe that I thought would appeal to the contest types. -RP

Okay, got it. I didn't give your recipe time to load before I clicked on the Recipe tab at the top. Your entry looks delicious, and you're completely right about what appeals to contest types: think about the cut up frozen waffles stirred with spinach, I think, that some woman called "stuffing" and one the $1 million Pillsbury contest with. You can't go too low.

I would eat your tacitos! And your photography really sells it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:33 pm

Why thank ya mam. -RP
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:34 pm

Those look great Randy! I think I use them at my next BBQ. I hope you win!!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:57 pm

I love, love Tostitos Scoops! I am going to make these next time we visit our sons in Sacramento. I bet the grandkids would gobble them up, as well! Great photo by the way!
no avatar
User

Matt Booth

Rank

Just got here

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:18 pm

San Francisco

by Matt Booth » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:07 pm

Hey Randy,
Which recipe is yours? That link directly to yours is dead and it's not going to load. One can browse the recipes by means of "most recent", "most viewed" and "highest rated".http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/foodbytes/text/0,,FOOD_9883_68987,00.html?sortby=rating

I wouldn't mind voting for you but to be honest I don't think it would help.

It is quite obvious to anyone who knows even the slightest about computer programs that several of those top rated recipes have a bot program running which is allowing those recipes to be given top scores on a repeated basis. I would estimate there are several recipes in the top 6 which are receiving exactly 10 to 16 votes per hour every hour.

It's not an honest method to use to procure votes but a simple one to devise. It's odd that the Food Network didn't put anything in place to disallow that sort of shenanigans but perhaps they are intending to weed out the offenders once the voting period is over.

It's a shame that these internet voting contests can not be fair yet the site should take the necessary precautions. It's almost like leaving an ignition key in a red mustang with the motor running and not expecting someone will zip off with it.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Matt Booth wrote:Hey Randy,
Which recipe is yours? That link directly to yours is dead and it's not going to load. One can browse the recipes by means of "most recent", "most viewed" and "highest rated".http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/foodbytes/text/0,,FOOD_9883_68987,00.html?sortby=rating

I wouldn't mind voting for you but to be honest I don't think it would help.

It is quite obvious to anyone who knows even the slightest about computer programs that several of those top rated recipes have a bot program running which is allowing those recipes to be given top scores on a repeated basis. I would estimate there are several recipes in the top 6 which are receiving exactly 10 to 16 votes per hour every hour.

It's not an honest method to use to procure votes but a simple one to devise. It's odd that the Food Network didn't put anything in place to disallow that sort of shenanigans but perhaps they are intending to weed out the offenders once the voting period is over.

It's a shame that these internet voting contests can not be fair yet the site should take the necessary precautions. It's almost like leaving an ignition key in a red mustang with the motor running and not expecting someone will zip off with it.

Can't help you in finding the recipe, Matt, but I will give you a hearty "Welcome" to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Here's Randy's recipe. He also had a nice photo with it. (Yes, welcome, Matt!)

Tostito Taco Bites

Date Uploaded: Jul 21, 2008

Views: 409

1 bag Tostitos Scoops
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
1 8oz bag of shredded Colby cheese

Preheat oven to 350.

In a bowl combine cheese, beef, and taco seasoning, mix thoroughly. Stuff Scoops with the mixture level with the sides of the Scoop.

On a baking sheet, bake for 20 minutes then transfer Scoops to a paper towel lined plate and allow to cool to room temperature.

Serve with a dollop of salsa, recipe makes approximately 50.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:09 pm

Matt Booth wrote:It is quite obvious to anyone who knows even the slightest about computer programs that several of those top rated recipes have a bot program running which is allowing those recipes to be given top scores on a repeated basis. I would estimate there are several recipes in the top 6 which are receiving exactly 10 to 16 votes per hour every hour.

Joining the crowd in welcoming Matt: Hi, Matt! Glad you're here!

As for the bot ... cool, yet creepy! 8) This is sort of like the recent discussion about somebody scamming Wine Spectator and winning a Spectator Wine List award for a non-existent restaurant ... whose wine list included mainly wines that the Speck had panned!
no avatar
User

Matt Booth

Rank

Just got here

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:18 pm

San Francisco

by Matt Booth » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:As for the bot ... cool, yet creepy! 8) This is sort of like the recent discussion about somebody scamming Wine Spectator and winning a Spectator Wine List award for a non-existent restaurant ... whose wine list included mainly wines that the Speck had panned!

I was quite surprised to read this. I had always been told WS was THE mag to go by. It appears the perp was trying to expose, what he feels, is the ability for the Award of Excellence to be bought for $250.

As for the Tostitos contest, from what I gather, the prize is a trip to the Food Network studio and ones recipe to be prepared on a show. They may have made the rating process simple (thus unprotected) just to encourage voters to come to the site hoping the voters would, in turn, become enamored of all the great Tostitos products and their abilities to be incorporated in various recipes. That's why the recipes of contestants using unethical voting means are allowed to linger for the time being. Anything for potential new customers and increased sales.

As for Randy's recipe, it's easiest to find on "most viewed" page number two about the third line down. There's still time to get a legit vote in for him, rating doesn't end until tomorrow at 11am EST (rather early for me out here on the west coast.)

Oh yes, and hey Mike, Cynthia, and Robin, thank you for the warm welcome.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:34 pm

Welcome Matt!

Randy...wanted to let you know I made these the other night as part of my appetizers for my girls night and they were a big hit!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:24 pm

I did these at a festival in Denver this weekend and instead of Tostitos, I used Frito scoops. They were very well recieved. -RP