Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Avocado and Apple Salad - request from Cynthia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

RCP: Avocado and Apple Salad - request from Cynthia

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:32 pm

*Avocado and Apple Salad*
Serves 4

This salad is full of lovely flavors and textures . . . you get the sweet tangy crunch of Granny Smith apple along with the creamy richness of ripe avocado, not to mention the saltiness of feta cheese and the lovely tangy dressing and sweet mint . . . oh it is a lovely explosion of wonderful flavors in every bite full!

grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1 TBS white wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 TBS chopped fresh mint leaves
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
4 cups mixed salad greens (choose a robust one with rocket and watercress in it if you can)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled

Whisk the lime zest, lime juice and vinegar together in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil gradually, until all is incorporated. Stir in the mint leaves.

Combine the apple, avocado, cucumber and salad leaves in a larger bowl. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, season with some salt and pepper, and gently toss together to combine. Divide among individual plates and sprinkle with the feta cheese before serving. Delicious!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Avocado and Apple Salad - request from Cynthia

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks, Karen!

I have everything except a cucumber. I'm going to make this tomorrow night.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi Karen,

Your salad sounds perfect for a summer dinner out on the deck. I have everything but plain white wine vinegar. Would I be able to substitute the Perel Late Harvest Riesling Vinegar you mentioned in another thread? I have not tried that LHR vinegar yet so do not know if it can adequately replace the vinegar you used on your salad.

Thanks for the recipe.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Dave R wrote:Hi Karen,

Your salad sounds perfect for a summer dinner out on the deck. I have everything but plain white wine vinegar. Would I be able to substitute the Perel Late Harvest Riesling Vinegar you mentioned in another thread? I have not tried that LHR vinegar yet so do not know if it can adequately replace the vinegar you used on your salad.

Thanks for the recipe.

I think any lighter vinegar that you want to use for this salad would be good. I did not like the Granny Smith apples as they were tart, so next time I will try a sweeter apple. The Perel Late Harvest Riesling would work great. Try it and then tweak it to your favor.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:16 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I did not like the Granny Smith apples as they were tart, so next time I will try a sweeter apple.

Karen your salad sounds delicious. Sure wish Len liked avocado... :cry: May have to make your salad next time he goes out of town.

I make a salad with apples in it and I also think GS's are too tart. I either use Fuji or Braeburn. Either one works really well and they never seem to be mealy.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:17 am

Carrie L. wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I did not like the Granny Smith apples as they were tart, so next time I will try a sweeter apple.

Karen your salad sounds delicious. Sure wish Len liked avocado... :cry: May have to make your salad next time he goes out of town.

I make a salad with apples in it and I also think GS's are too tart. I either use Fuji or Braeburn. Either one works really well and they never seem to be mealy.

I was thinking of Fuji or Braeburn. Apples are not my favorite fruit, therefore I am not really familiar with what apple tastes bitter or sweet. I prefer Golden/Red Delicious for eating, This year I discovered Pink Lady (I think that is what it is called) really great taste. I keep trying to like them better.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:04 am

I adore Granny Smiths and use them as my default eating apple, as well as for cooking. I think the tartness and texture will be really nice against the avocado.
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi Karen,

I stumbled upon the headline of the buzzwords "Avocado… Salad." It sounds absolutely delicious, and I plan on trying to make these some Saturday afternoon/early evening meal. Here in Israel I was just told eating out Sushi last night that there is currently a shortage of avocado, therefore they weren't putting any of it in their rolls (this conversation and explanation came to me after there was no change of description on the menu nor a caveat when ordering a California Roll, and I was totally surprised with a sauteed sweet potatoe). I haven't bothered to check the market for myself yet, but I intend on trying to search for a supply of avocadoes to make this salad!!

Best wishes
E.Y.