Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food Network Star finale - Who should win?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Food Network Star finale - Who should win?

by Carrie L. » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:16 am

Last night, I finally got around to watching Sunday night's "top three" show, and although the judges seemed to have trouble eliminating someone, I could easily eliminate two. My favorite is definitely Adam. He just seems to have a really good personality and ease on camera. I wouldn't want to watch someone bumbling though or fake-smiling during an entire 30 minute show which is what I think we'd be in store for if one of the others were to win -- AND there are already several personalities on Food Network doing that! ;)

Anyone watching? Who's the favorite? Who do you think the execs will choose as the star? I think they are leaning toward Aaron.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

Re: Food Network Star finale - Who should win?

by Randy P » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:10 am

I really don't think the judges are capable of picking a star, just look what they chose last year. If Amy is still on, her show must be buried somewhere. If I had to guess, I would bet they will go with Aaron. -RP
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:18 am

The best cook is Lisa. However all three have problems with presentation. Once the winner is chosen he/she will have directors to help with that, just as Bobby Flaye helped Aaron in the last show. Big mouth was no help to the other two.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:23 pm

I think what the panel wants is Lisa's culinary expertise, Aaron's food (big portions, big flavors) and cuddliness along with the big genie earrings/black skin color/talks-about-his-kids-all-the-time family guy personae, and Adam's comfort in front of the camera. And I think they set Aaron up to win last time--he certainly had the way easiest camera test. That is: no costume, no cables, no dancing girls to make him nervous. And that's why they didn't boot anyone off--they want to give Aaron another chance to win.

I like both Adam and Aaron a lot. They're both really sweet guys and they've stayed totally humble. Aaron's the better cook, but Adam's by far the better showman. Lisa's just not likeable. I constantly find myself laughing at her clothes and accessories--she dresses well and expensively, and she has her own 'look' which love or hate it is laudable, but her dresses look lost in another era, the primmer side of 50's 'high society', Junior League style clothes that mothers on TV wore before women were allowed to wear pants. And did you catch that Wilma Flintstone necklace she wore on the last episode?

How does the end work? Last year I watched the last three or four episodes. There was the woman who won plus some blonde from Texas and a guy who got disqualified at the last for some kind of fraud about his qualifications. IIRC--and I found this confusing--the judges picked who ended up in the finals but callers ultimately chose the winner? The blonde looked confident that she had it in the bag. She had like 84 friends and family in the studio compared to just the other woman's husband and kids--or very close to that. It was so lopsided it was as if everyone including the contestants thought the Texan winning was a foregone conclusion, and I remember thinking that--I suppose compared to the drama of Donald Trump's big theater finales--the assembled well-wishers barely filled the tiny studio. It was very anti-climactic and a little bit embarrassing to my eye, like after all that no one really cared.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:18 pm

Jenise wrote:And I think they set Aaron up to win last time--he certainly had the way easiest camera test. That is: no costume, no cables, no dancing girls to make him nervous. And that's why they didn't boot anyone off--they want to give Aaron another chance to win.

Hmmmm. I'll bet you are right, because his food was not good that night either (nor was his presentation) so it would have been a no-brainer for him to be let go.

This is the first season I've watched it. I guess through all the promos two years back, I knew Guy had won it. Didn't know about Amy, and haven't seen her show either. Maybe because it's buried between infomercials at 2am, Randy?

I do find it extremely entertaining, like Top Chef. Love to see what ideas they come up with. Seems to me on the last episode the theme was to create an "over the top" indulgent buffet. I didn't think any of them really filled that bill, but then later through the sound bites, it seemed like it changed to a buffet that best represents each individual's culinary point of view. I was surprised by some of their choices. (Monkfish for Lisa? All that pasta for Aaron?) But I was truly "wowed" by Adam doing all of that smoking in the kitchen. When he started the process I pictured a bunch of pale, rubbery skinned chicken wings, but did you see those babies? Gorgeous. I was impressed.

And Jenise, yes, I also get a kick out of Lisa's get-ups. Your description is spot on. Wilma Flintstone, with a Betty Rubble's hair color. I still can't get past all of her squinting. I want to tell her to take a valium.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Didn't know about Amy, and haven't seen her show either. Maybe because it's buried between infomercials at 2am, Randy?
She only made 6 shows. I'm not sure if she retired or wasn't asked back for more.

I'm with Jenise on this one. I think the show is doing what they can to give Aaron every shot they can. I do find him the most endearing but Adam is certainly the one most ready for television. Lisa makes me nervous and jittery just watching her.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I do find it extremely entertaining, like Top Chef. Love to see what ideas they come up with. Seems to me on the last episode the theme was to create an "over the top" indulgent buffet. I didn't think any of them really filled that bill, but then later through the sound bites, it seemed like it changed to a buffet that best represents each individual's culinary point of view.

I saw that shift too, which I chalked up to another piece of evidence that the producers want Aaron because his buffet fared slightly better under the latter criteria. I was miffed that they didn't share the accounting. 1) $1000 sounded like a generous budget until you saw all the jokers they had to feed. That's a bigger crowd than they get for their finale show! Aaron, for instance, couldn't have come CLOSE to spending his budget.

What's so mystifying, really, about this show is that given the premise that they're looking for someone with the chops to build a TV show around, the cadre of competitors they rounded up seem to be overall, with the exception of Lisa, disappointingly amateur and unqualified.

Guy--I didn't know who this guy was until seeing him on that recent episode of TNFNS. Haven't seen his show, just a commercial or two, and didn't realize he won this competition. Anyone else on the air there now who is also a past winner?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Anyone else on the air there now who is also a past winner?
Nope. Hearty Boys were Season 1 (they're not on anymore), Fieri was S2, and Amy was S3.

Fieri has two shows: Diners, DriveIns and Dives; and Guys Big Bite. I like DDD as it's pointed me to some good off-the-beaten path places around the country (like Price's Chicken Coop in Charlotte or Joe's Farm Grill here in Gilbert). His Big Bite show, well, bites.
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Amy moved to France and is no longer with FN. -RP
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:32 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote: His Big Bite show, well, bites.

:) Does this show represent his "culinary point of view"?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Hey, re what happened to Amy, a quick google turned up this post on a site called something like foodnetworkaddict.com. I didn't pay close attention, but if someone with a name like wouldn't know, who would?

"I will not be back for another season. The producers offered me more shows, but with my family I decided it was time to move on to other projects," writes Amy on the new Where Are They Now section of NFNS's site.

"The lifestyle and obligations of a television personality – including cultivating the thick skin it takes to survive the harsh criticism and vicious personal attacks mounted by bloggers – just aren’t compatible with my goals or my family at this time."

"It’s hard to hold two conflicting emotions simultaneously: Happy for myself – though also terrified – and guilty because I felt I didn’t deserve to win. It was a very bittersweet victory. By the time I was announced the winner, family issues had also helped me determine that working in television was not going to be in my future."

The blogger goes on to discuss the role he or she might have played in the "vicious personal attacks", which included this comment which I cannot resist sharing since I have complained that Giada smiles like she's being paid by the tooth: "Amy kind of suffers from the same thing that plagued Giada early on, which is the inability to smile and speak at the same time. Now, as we all know, Giada is the QUEEN of this... but it must have taken some work. Those early videos of GDL were pretty dismal."
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Does this show represent his "culinary point of view"?
:D Ya, he'll eat anything put in front of him and say "This is money!".

You dug up some interesting stuff on Amy.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:46 pm

I’ve been watching it off and on. A bigger bunch of crybabies I’ve never seen. I don’t think I’ve seen a single episode where at leat 2 of them didn’t burst into tears. C’mon…it’s a cooking show! That said…I like Aron’s cooking, but I’m not sure if he’s got what it takes to pull off a regular show on camera.

Richard
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:[(like Price's Chicken Coop in Charlotte)

There is a feature on that place in this month's Gourmet. Worth a try? I get to Charlotte fairly often. Truth be known, I've been day-dreaming about that fried chicken based on the photos. Mmmm.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Jenise wrote:The blogger goes on to discuss the role he or she might have played in the "vicious personal attacks", which included this comment which I cannot resist sharing since I have complained that Giada smiles like she's being paid by the tooth: "Amy kind of suffers from the same thing that plagued Giada early on, which is the inability to smile and speak at the same time. Now, as we all know, Giada is the QUEEN of this... but it must have taken some work. Those early videos of GDL were pretty dismal."

I can certainly understand that--just on the comments some of us have made about Sandra Lee and RR, alone. :oops:
Jenise I'm cracking up over your comment about Giada being paid by the tooth. I'd be interested in seeing some of her earlier shoots.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:09 pm

There is a feature on that place in this month's Gourmet. Worth a try? I get to Charlotte fairly often.
Yes! It's really really moist and flavorful chicken. The place is take out only so most people either eat in their car or take it home. Is it illegal to drive while munching a chicken leg? :P I'm in Charlotte quite a bit as well and I think I'll have to head back to Price's on my next visit.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:12 am

[/quote]I can certainly understand that--just on the comments some of us have made about Sandra Lee and RR, alone. :oops:
Jenise I'm cracking up over your comment about Giada being paid by the tooth. I'd be interested in seeing some of her earlier shoots.[/quote]
This is too funny...Gene passes through the TV room now and then when I an watching Giada and once he said, "do they pay her for her boobs or all those teeth?" It cracked me up.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:This is too funny...Gene passes through the TV room now and then when I an watching Giada and once he said, "do they pay her for her boobs or all those teeth?" It cracked me up.

Her family background shows, she exudes class. :)