Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fresh bamboo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Fresh bamboo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:01 pm

One of my 'fetishes' is bamboo shoots. I buy the shoots pickled and preserved in chile oil and eat them straight out of the jar for a snack/treat. And fresh bamboo was one of the epiphanies of our trip to China two summers ago. So boy was I excited to find fresh "white bamboo" (per the package) imported from China yesterday at an Asian market in Richmond BC yesterday afternoon.

I've never worked with fresh bamboo before, but my understanding of the preparation requirements is that after peeling they'll need to undergo a series of boilings to remove something toxic as well as tenderize. If what I bought yields enough, I'll use them in a stir fry as well as make a dish of lightly pickled shoots in oil, white wine vinegar and chilies, a simple preparation that flatters the delicate flavors and textures of the fresh product and that was my favorite thing about a meal we had in Beijing one night.

Here's a picture of the fresh bamboo I bought:

BambooShoots.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Fresh bamboo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:08 pm

I don't think I've ever seen fresh bamboo in a grocery, Asian or otherwise. Please let us know how this works out!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I don't think I've ever seen fresh bamboo in a grocery, Asian or otherwise. Please let us know how this works out!

Only fresh bamboo I've ever seen in the husk before are the shoots I prodigiously cut down almost daily in my own yard (yes, we grow bamboo in the Pacific Northwest).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:35 pm

Wow...Jenise. I have never seen fresh bamboo. I have only dealt with canned. I can't wait to hear how it turns out.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Maria and Cynthia, well, I brought them to a boil three times as described by Charlaine Solomon's Encyclopaedia of Asian ingredients, and tasted one of the pieces. They have none of the slick texture I was expecting. They're neither like canned nor like the fresh bamboo we ate in China. They're a lot tenderer than I was led to expect by the book (which described some methods of cooking them whole for hours) even though they didn't feel at the outset like they could posssibly be that tough (think king oyster or porcini mushroom texture, cushion-y) so I didn't boil them again, so I didn't see a need to boil them a fourth time but if you don't hear from me again...well, three wasn't enough. :)
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:16 pm

Oh gosh Jenise...you are a braver gal than I. Even with my foraging, I am still relunctant to deal with any item that might have poisionous components. I hope 3 boils was enough!

So, did you like the texture? What do you plan on doing with it? This is so fascinating! Can't wait to hear the results.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:25 pm

Jenise wrote:so I didn't see a need to boil them a fourth time but if you don't hear from me again...well, three wasn't enough. :)

LOL!

You are truly intrepid.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:10 am

Looks exactly like what I used to do battle with every spring in my back yard. The lady who used to live next door to us loved bamboo and at one time, she had a backyard that you couldn't begin to see through, much less walk through. Of course, plenty got under the fence and I spent a lot of time exercising my swearing while trying to dig the damn stuff up. I thought about eating it a few times (thinking more along the lines of the ancient Aztecs who ate the hearts of their enemies than Asian cooking) but never actually tried it. The people who moved in after her eradicated it from their yard and our yard followed. No harvesting here, but I'll be interested in hearing how it turns out for you, Jenise.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:50 am

Jenise wrote:but if you don't hear from me again...

Anybody hear from her after this post? :o
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:42 am

I have bed sheets made from bamboo. If I get really broke and hungry I'll boil and eat them. Thanks, Jenise.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:11 pm

Robert J. wrote:I have bed sheets made from bamboo. If I get really broke and hungry I'll boil and eat them. Thanks, Jenise.

rwj

That could be hard to explain to next sleepover. 8)

Hey, here's a shot of the final results of my work yesterday, a bamboo salad (batonnettes of bamboo tossed with a light dressing of white vinegar, water, just a little oil and chongqing red pepper) with micro greens starter course where the main course was panko-crusted chicken in a lime and white tamari reduction sauce over stir-fried pea shoots with fresh baby ginger. Wine was an Oregon dry gewurztraminer.

DSC03372.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Hey, here's a shot of the final results of my work yesterday

Lovely! And you are obviously still with us. But how did it taste?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 pm

Excellent presentation!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:51 pm

have you ever tried foraging for cat tail shoots? they are supposed to be similar. you use the young ones that may still be under water. i tried them once and remember them being pretty decent. might disagree with stuart somewhat. square peg on a round hole. within the square, lovely.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:41 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Jenise wrote:Hey, here's a shot of the final results of my work yesterday

Lovely! And you are obviously still with us. But how did it taste?

Great. Once they cooled off, the texture and flavor was recognizably that of bamboo shoots, but the tenderest, sweetest bamboo possible. The serving you see in the picture is about 25% of the total provided by the six shoots I bought.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:43 am

David Creighton wrote:have you ever tried foraging for cat tail shoots? they are supposed to be similar. you use the young ones that may still be under water. i tried them once and remember them being pretty decent. might disagree with stuart somewhat. square peg on a round hole. within the square, lovely.

No! Cattails grow all over the place around here, but unfortunately most of the accessible ones share their roadside ditches with dog-do and the like. Might be concerned about harvesting those!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:19 am

David Creighton wrote:have you ever tried foraging for cat tail shoots?

We used to do that when I was growing up in Upstate New York. My dad was big on that sort of thing. I haven't thought of that in years.

Jenise, I'll have to keep an eye out for the fresh bamboo. I am absolutely intrigued now!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:18 pm

Jenise wrote: ...unfortunately most of the accessible ones share their roadside ditches with dog-do and the like. Might be concerned about harvesting those!

Much of our produce shares their field with various animal/migrant worker-doo and the like. Just wash the stuff real good, Jenise, and you will be fine.

By the way, my sheets were the tenderest, sweetest sheets you could imagine. Unfortunately I have a king-size bed so I have TONS of leftovers; any ideas? The bonus is that most of my "sleepovers" occur on the various floors in my place so the missing sheets are hardly a problem. 8)
rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:27 am

Robert J. wrote: Unfortunately I have a king-size bed so I have TONS of leftovers; any ideas?

Bakhlava? 8)
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:40 am

Hey, here's a shot of the final results of my work yesterday, a bamboo salad (batonnettes of bamboo tossed with a light dressing of white vinegar, water, just a little oil and chongqing red pepper) with micro greens starter course where the main course was panko-crusted chicken in a lime and white tamari reduction sauce over stir-fried pea shoots with fresh baby ginger. Wine was an Oregon dry gewurztraminer.

Great pic and very nice menu. Hey I have a bamboo story for you. Not one you can eat but bamboo oriented.

Was in the PI for a period. Had a house and a fenced yard. The fence was made of timber bamboo. The gate and fence near the gate started to get the usual mold and rot associated with all the rain and damp weather so I asked the gardener to fix it. He did. He repaired the sections as appropriate. A week or so later I noticed the new fence portions were sprouting leaves. Seems he used fresh bamboo to repair the broken portions and since the soil there will grow ANYTHING the fence start growing again. Your bamboo meal reminded me...later.
Thanks,
Mike