Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rice wrapper fried spring rolls

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Rice wrapper fried spring rolls

by Maria Samms » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:38 pm

So I have a ton of leftover rice wrappers from the Fresh Spring Rolls I made last week and I was wondering if I could make a fried Spring Roll with them. I got some Grapeseed oil for frying. What do you all think? I always thought that my Chinese fried Spring rolls were made from rice paper, but when looking for recipes, it seems they are a lighter wheat flour and egg dough. So now I am not sure I can fry these rice papers with good results. Anyone have any experience with this?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Rice wrapper fried spring rolls

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:59 pm

It should work, but it will interesting to see if they puff up. Are you deep frying or sauteing?

FWIW, I prefer the fresh ones, anyway.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:59 pm

I've had it done at restaurants and done it myself. Frankly, I am not impressed. They get a tough chewiness that is not attractive. I much prefer the conventional wheat wrappers when deep frying. Another interesting variation is to use tofu skin as the wrapper; it is quite light and delicate after frying..
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:13 pm

It seems that the most common fried dumpling roll in East Asia is wrapped with a wheat based wrapper. I recall a fried spring roll made from rice paper in some Vietnamese cuisine…

Best wishes,
E.y.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Whenever I find myself agreeing with Stuart, I pause for just a moment to see if it goes away. :wink:

But, in my experience, he's right. It's a texture issue. I just don't find it appealing.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:50 am

You're right you all...I tried it last night, and it wasn't pretty!

The first few I tried with a single wrapper...those puffed up and exploded. I finally used 3 wrappers. They were ok, but still not particularly attractive. And definitely not great taste or texture-wise. After making a few, I put together all the ingredients for the fresh ones and made those instead.

I am disappointed, because I was hoping to use these to make fried spring rolls for my son. Oh Well!

I guess I can also use these for steamed dumplings for Dim Sum?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:10 am

The ones I've tried fell apart when steamed. I think they're really only good for one thing, but hey, it's a really good one thing.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:15 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:The ones I've tried fell apart when steamed. I think they're really only good for one thing, but hey, it's a really good one thing.

My experience, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:33 pm

Jenise wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:The ones I've tried fell apart when steamed. I think they're really only good for one thing, but hey, it's a really good one thing.

My experience, too.

I might be totally wrong on this, but I seem to recall that rice paper wrappers are softened by soaking them in water?

Best wishes,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:36 pm

Yes, but any soak beyond a brief dip makes them fall apart. The technique that was passed on to me (thank you, Cynthia!) was a quick dip in cool water, then lay the wrapper on a plate and let it soften for a minute or two.