Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How do you cook your asparagus?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

How do you cook your asparagus?

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:04 pm

I have always steamed mine in little water/ broth and no lid, as my aunt did, and I loved her cooking. Asparagus was always al dente and perfect. Along came the roasting/grilling veggies technique. OK, I did this...roasted and grilled. With most veggies it was great, but with asparagus it was not working for me. Roasting left parts of the asparagus overdone and the rest just plain black. I cut down the time and still not what I wanted. Grilling was up to Gene and he did a good job, but as they sat and continued to cook, not good. So tonight, I had some small asparagus from the Farmer's Market and I decided to go back to gently cooking in hot broth. I put them in a single layer in chic. broth and heated. A gentle simmer for a few minutes and I took them out. Sprinkled with coarse sea salt and freshly gr. pepper, and shavings of parm. reg.
OK, that is the asparagus I know and love. Still crunchy, perfect all the way from the tip to the end. I am going back to my original way of cooking it. So....what method of cooking asparagus are you successful with?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: How do you cook your asparagus?

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Steaming is best. Pan saute can work, if the spears are slim. Grilling is iffy.

I always snap the stems (to get rid of any woody bits).
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:28 am

I get great results from grilling or stir-frying. Steaming and poaching both work fine, too, but I love that sweet-smoky flavor that the high heat brings ("The Maillard reaction is your friend").
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:59 am

Louise has some method that involves a couple of minutes in the microwave on a wet platter. I don't know all the details but it works quite well. I've helped her snap off the woody ends so I know she does that. Of course maybe you wouldn't want to use the same method on pencil thin young asparagus and big fat old asparagus. ???

F
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:14 am

For the larger and most often tougher asparagus I break the ends off, peel the lower portion and steam or saute the remaining portion. Serve with various sauces or just butter s&p.

For pencil thin asparagus (favorite) I grill them, place on a piece of grilled (w/evoo) sourdough crostini, grate some Parmigiano Regiano and drizzle some aged balsamic (gold label) over the entire crostini. Thats a meal !
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:10 am

Assuming green asparagus, I'm with most of the others here. Snap the ends, never bother to peel the rest. For quick and simple, steam. In grilling system, coat in a little olive oil and grill until done.

And of course there's always the risotto option. For this, I'll snap the ends, cut the rest in to 1-inch lengths, reserving the spear tips. Blanch all but the tips in lightly salted water for just a couple of minutes, then lift out. Use the green water as your risotto liquid and introduce the bits of asparagus, a little at a time, as you cook, so you get a variety of textures. Spear points last, of course, so they just cook through.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:14 am

much of the asparagus at local farmers markets is harvested by snapping anyway. you can tell by the appearance of the bottom. no need to snap what has already been; but may want to make a small clean cut if the surface has browned or collected dirt. can't imagine there still being asparagus now - ours has been over for at least a month and we were late this year.
david creighton
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:53 am

Sometimes, I lay them flat in a saute pan, with just a bit of salted water, and cook until the water simmers away.
I have used the microwave when all my burners are occupied, and must say they come out fine, so long as attention is paid to the timing. It's easy to overcook them this way.
I do like tossing them with some olive oil, laying them out flat on a sheet pan, and roasting them.

So I guess it depends upon my mood.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:39 am

Karen, I've always had the same problem as you describe when grilling. So now I par cook via steaming, drop them in an ice bath, drain, coat in some oil olive, then give them a quick grill to char. Drop on a pat of butter, salt, and grate some lemon zest and it's lovely.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 am

I broil...It's a Shirley Corriher's method for cooking asparagus perfect every time. Snap the ends off, lay on a cooking sheet, drizzle with oil, and broil for only 5 minutes. There will be sparks, etc...but leave it alone. Sprinkle with sea salt and sometimes lemon zest and serve. It cooks perfectly (to me) every time.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:37 am

Most of the time, I use the microwave. I layer them in a shallow casserole, sprinkle with sea salt, cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for about three minutes, depending on their thickness. To me, it is the best method for consistent, even cooking, and they stay bright green.

I also like to roast mine exactly the way Traci describes. I didn't know they were Shirley Corriher's method. (Not even sure who she is...) I think lemon zest on asparagus is a wonderful combination.

As well, when having asaparagus with grilled steaks, I will grill them along side and enjoy them this way as well, although they do tend to get a little stringy.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks, I have a few new methods to try. I have never cooked asparagus in the microwave nor have I broiled them. The ones I steamed last night were thin and for once the bunch were all the same size.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:06 pm

ok, i have a question. i would have thought that steaming involved cooking OVER boiling water in a separate section of the cooker. cooking IN a 'little' water sounds like?????? does the water cover the veg? if so, isn't it BOILING? poaching is slightly different as the liquid doesn't actually 'boil' - but since most veggies aren't delicate enough to be harmed by even rapid boiling, why not just boil. which i'm sure you've guessed, is what i do. anyway, why are you guys using the term 'steaming'?
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:57 pm

I use the term "steaming" because I am putting the 'ragus in a steamer and cooking it over spiced boiling water. Steam is actually much hotter than boiling water....
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:01 pm

I boil for three minutes. If to be eaten hot - serve forthwith. If not, then I chill and serve with mayonnaise with a little soy mixed in for dipping.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:21 pm

jeff, that sounds like real steaming to me. the others don't.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:28 pm

David Creighton wrote:ok, i have a question. i would have thought that steaming involved cooking OVER boiling water in a separate section of the cooker. cooking IN a 'little' water sounds like?????? does the water cover the veg? if so, isn't it BOILING? poaching is slightly different as the liquid doesn't actually 'boil' - but since most veggies aren't delicate enough to be harmed by even rapid boiling, why not just boil. which i'm sure you've guessed, is what i do. anyway, why are you guys using the term 'steaming'?

You are right! I used the term, "steaming" in my original post when actually I put the asparagus in a tiny bit of broth and gently simmered. I don't know why I used "steaming" ....