Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A story and Recipe for Grits

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

A story and Recipe for Grits

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:29 am

I worked in central america with Ray. Ray was married and his wife had accompanied him to our location. We used to get off work at 4:30PM every day and walk a long way, about 50 feet, to the local cantina where Rudy, the bartender, would fix us some fresh, from scratch, Tom Collins. It was always hot there and Tom Collins really hit the spot. After a few, or few more, of these thirst quenching elixirs Ray would ask me to call his wife, Lois, to see what was for dinner. If asked to call I knew I was in for another memorable home cooked meal.

So I made the call, got the menu and returned to chat with Ray. He would always ask the same question, “Gravy?”. See Ray would not eat dinner without gravy. Cream gravy, brown gravy, red-eye gravy, mystery gravy, whatever. So a second call would usually produce the required answer from Lois, “Yes I will make gravy, start walking this way”. (they lived 100 yards from the Cantina).

Now Lois was a southern belle who lived to cook. If you were ever within eyeball range of Lois she made sure you had something from her kitchen. And I am here to tell you that this woman could make angel biscuits that floated on air, fried chicken (and I have shared that recipe with you on the forum)to die for and gravy that would make you swoon. Her food was what we now call comfort food. Good, abundant, hot, flavorful, spicy and mostly southern. Lois was a big as a 48 inch Viking range and most of that was heart, which she put into every dish she ever served. When she served you dinner she used to stand back and wait to see your reaction. Some of her dishes were so good you wanted not to swallow. So Lois taught me this simple recipe for grits and according to her this is THE WAY to serve morning grits. They were good friends.

Morning creamy grits with cheese and/or sausage (1 portion)
1/3 heaping cup of dry white grits
Toast these white grits in a clean dry sauté pan until they turn slightly golden brown.
Add 1 cup of water stirring to prevent lumps and cover. Reduce heat to maintain a slow simmer for 20 minutes. Stir often to prevent lumps. Add water to maintain a creamy consistency.
At the 15 minute mark add 2 tablespoons of butter or bacon drippins. Add a handful of grated cheese of your choice, a handful of cooked pork sausage, a pinch of salt (depending on the salt in the cheese) and at least 3 grinds of fresh black pepper. Serve in a warm bowl with a large cup of strong coffee laced with….

Grits:
Adams Old Fashioned Whole Heart Grits
Adams Milling Company Route 1 Midland City Alabama 36350 800 239-4233
:D :D :D
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: A story and Recipe for Grits

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:00 am

Great story, Mike. :D
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:26 am

Good one Mike. The grits sound great!
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:46 am

Mike those grits sound so good. I was just in Charleston with my parents and we ate at Magnolias. My mom had grits with seafood and I had grits with shrimp and sausage. I didn't know which I liked better. The grits were so creamy and held the sauces so nicely. I'll bet Lois's are similar. She sounds like someone I would like A LOT.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:19 pm

Love this post! So much of the food we love is inextricably connected to the memory of the people or place we first enjoyed them with, and the stories are the stories of our lives (at this very moment, I am reading one of the Travelers Tales: Food, and your story of Lois could have been one of the short-short chapter endings.

FWIW, my first grits ever was part of a breakfast at The Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans, a restaurant that may no longer exist. Unfortunately I was with my first husband--too bad I can't remember the grits without remembering him!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Love this post! So much of the food we love is inextricably connected to the memory of the people or place we first enjoyed them with, and the stories are the stories of our lives (at this very moment, I am reading one of the Travelers Tales: Food, and your story of Lois could have been one of the short-short chapter endings.

FWIW, my first grits ever was part of a breakfast at The Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans, a restaurant that may no longer exist. Unfortunately I was with my first husband--too bad I can't remember the grits without remembering him!

Two parts to this post: 1. I have been in technology of various sorts since 61. Radio, networks, computers, microwave, tropo scatter et. al. But these present day abbreviations (i.e. FWIW) leave me scratching my head. I would say scratching my hair but there is not much left... SO forum folks where is the list of translations ?

2. "Food memory connection". Perfect hit. We connect food memory with pleasant (hopefully) places, people and times. This book I just completed "Passion of the Vine" is full of places, people associated with great wine. Grits is one of my examples and over time I will wear your ears out with more. For example the first time I sat in a cantina in central america I saw an 'apple turnover' on the shelf and asked, in english, 'for that (pointing'. Got a big mouthfull of red chili, meat empanada. Damn near choked but today I love empanadas !!

Great memories of food and friends and we all have them.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Mike, FWIW is not a term specific to this site, but internet shorthand for "For what it's worth".
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:13 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:Two parts to this post: 1. I have been in technology of various sorts since 61. Radio, networks, computers, microwave, tropo scatter et. al. But these present day abbreviations (i.e. FWIW) leave me scratching my head. I would say scratching my hair but there is not much left... SO forum folks where is the list of translations ?

Mike here is a link to a lot of them.

http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote:Two parts to this post: 1. I have been in technology of various sorts since 61. Radio, networks, computers, microwave, tropo scatter et. al. But these present day abbreviations (i.e. FWIW) leave me scratching my head. I would say scratching my hair but there is not much left... SO forum folks where is the list of translations ?

Mike here is a link to a lot of them.

http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm

That is amazing ! We have spawned another language !
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:46 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Great story, Mike. :D

I have a thousand more !
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:05 pm

I grew up eating grits, generally 3 or 4 times a week, if not more. I have never toasted them prior to adding the water and/or milk, but I enjoy them with grated cheddar cheese, s&p, butter and sometimes an egg, stirred in during the last couple of minutes of cooking. If adding an egg, just crack it into the pot and stir immediately and thoroughly, to allow the heat of the grits to cook the egg and render a very creamy dish.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:18 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:I grew up eating grits, generally 3 or 4 times a week, if not more. I have never toasted them prior to adding the water and/or milk, but I enjoy them with grated cheddar cheese, s&p, butter and sometimes an egg, stirred in during the last couple of minutes of cooking. If adding an egg, just crack it into the pot and stir immediately and thoroughly, to allow the heat of the grits to cook the egg and render a very creamy dish.

Bob: Eggs are good too. Almost anything you would like for breakfast or light meal would blend with grits. Sausage, ham, grilled vegies, cheese, greens, you name. I do like my grits and the source that was in my original message delivers top notch product.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:I grew up eating grits, generally 3 or 4 times a week, if not more. I have never toasted them prior to adding the water and/or milk, but I enjoy them with grated cheddar cheese, s&p, butter and sometimes an egg, stirred in during the last couple of minutes of cooking. If adding an egg, just crack it into the pot and stir immediately and thoroughly, to allow the heat of the grits to cook the egg and render a very creamy dish.

Bob: Eggs are good too. Almost anything you would like for breakfast or light meal would blend with grits. Sausage, ham, grilled vegies, cheese, greens, you name. I do like my grits and the source that was in my original message delivers top notch product.

Mike, it's Robert - there are quite enough Bobs on the rolls already. :roll:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Okay Robert, will do thanks. Mike
Thanks,