Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What are you cooking this weekend?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What are you cooking this weekend?

by Jenise » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm almost always in a mood to cook so being in the mood isn't new, but I'm in a slightly more heightened state this weekend than usual with food really strongly on the brain, what with WATAPEAS coming up next Saturday (Bill Spohn's annual terrine invitational) and bunch of Chinese vegetables rotting in the fridge since I took a friend to Richmond for Asian shopping on Tuesday and went overboard, as usual. :)

Lunch today is scallop ceviche with dry packed wild Alaskan scallops and Mr. Stripey heirloom tomatoes. Dinner tonight will be several Thai dishes, one beef with the fresh bamboo I was going on about in another thread, and roasted long beans with tofu and walnuts. (Been on an Asian kick this week, last night's dinner was tempura fried shrimp, dried pork fried rice, and chinese okra in a ginger black vinegar sauce).

17 pounds (8 whole filets) of fresh sockeye are curing away in the fridge for smoking tomorrow. Lunch will be beef and green chile burritos, dinner will be one of the salmon filets fresh off the smoker along with a salad course that will be napoleons of sliced ripe tomatoes, goat cheese and herbs with a fresh oregano vinaigrette.

A five pound bag of tamale masa and lard are sitting on the counter, awaiting their fate. That will be tomorrow or Monday. And so sitting there are the fresh milled flours I bought on Friday (Mike Bowlin, are you aware that someone up here mills their own flour?) that will form the croute for my entry for WATAPEAS, a southwestern take on the classic pate en croute wherein, among other things, the pate will contain quail and the crust will be heavy with cilantro.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: What are you cooking this weekend?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Wow, Jenise, I am always so impressed by what you do! You're an absolute Cooking Goddess. Amazing.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:46 pm

After a farm-stand run, I have tomatoes, corn, pasilla chiles, jalapenos, torpedo onions, cilantro, basil, potatoes, chard, mustard greens, and a few other miscellaneous treats. I don't know what the meals will be, but that's the backbone of them. I already have gorged on salsa cruda with chips and bruschetta pomadoro. The tomatoes are just starting to get good...
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:54 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:After a farm-stand run, I have tomatoes, corn, pasilla chiles, jalapenos, torpedo onions, cilantro, basil, potatoes, chard, mustard greens, and a few other miscellaneous treats. I don't know what the meals will be, but that's the backbone of them. I already have gorged on salsa cruda with chips and bruschetta pomadoro. The tomatoes are just starting to get good...

Do you grow any of your own tomatoes? I've got 8 plants in, 2 ea of four different varieties, and the fruit of two unrelated plants are just starting to turn yellow. Picking might be two weeks away. Oh, and one plant has pointy-bottomed fruit on it and another has the most gigantic tomatoes I've ever grown. Thing is, none of the varieties I chose were supposed to be pointy-bottomed or gigantic. But I'm not complaining--the giants (accidental beefsteaks, I presume) are also the most prolific fruit I've ever had on a tomato plant. I don't know how in the world the plant is holding them up. Bob has named it Dolly Parton.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:59 pm

It's cool and rainy here today, and probably tomorrow too. So the oven can be used with no overwhelming heating of the house.

Tonight will be the inevitable pizza. :D

All the talk of santoku knives this week led me to purchase one. I believe I will give it a test run on tomatoes for the tomato-dill quiche recipe I posted a few weeks ago for lunch today.

Tomorrow night will be some sort of stir-fry. Lunch tomorrow will most likely be leftover pizza. :D

I have a couple new cookbooks (what else is new) and want to try an upside down honey fig cake sometime this weekend too. Of course, I've already decided how the recipe needs to be tweaked.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:48 pm

Jenise, no, I have zero talent for gardening, combined with a nearby excellent source. So tomatoes are always bought, not grown.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:30 pm

Made a spicy veggie stir fry at work today for staff meal and will be eating that tonight. Red onions, zucchini, carrots, broccolini, ginger, and garlic spiced with shichimi, shiracha, sesame oil, and hit with dark soy sauce at the end. Served with rice.

rwj
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:13 pm

For Sunday Eggplant Parmigiana, Sweet Zucca with Pecorino Romano. Yes I know about the mill in Bellingham. Have used it once in awhile.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:24 pm

Jenise, I agree with Cynthia. You are indeed a cooking goddess. I want to be like you when I grow up. :)

We are leaving for Massachusetts at 0-dark thirty tomorrow for a few weeks, so tonight I'm going to be using up what I have, which is a package of boneless thighs and russet potatoes. Believe it or not, (and don't laugh) I am going to make a Rachel Ray recipe I made a while back that is great for roasting skinless, boneless chicken. It's quick and really tasty. Lemon juice, EVOO, garlic, Montreal Seasoning, etc. (It's okay, you can laugh.)

I won't get to cook for two weeks :cry: but we will go out for Lobstah, chowdah and steamahs until we are sick of them all. (That will never happen.)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:54 pm

I started the Smoky Pork Pappardelle (last month's Food and Wine) last night. I finished making the sauce only moments ago and will serve the dish tomorrow night for a handful of wine geeks. So far, it's really yummy!! In the morning, I'm baking Magnolia Cafe's Butterscotch Brownies. However, I'm tempted to make them peanut butter brownies. First course is still undecided....maybe a caprese?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:56 pm

How are the tomatoes today at the Bowl? My source was supposed to open up last week, but she's not quite ready yet. I still managed to walk away with a few Early Girls... Caprese sounds delightful, I might just start one right now.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:00 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:How are the tomatoes today at the Bowl? My source was supposed to open up last week, but she's not quite ready yet. I still managed to walk away with a few Early Girls... Caprese sounds delightful, I might just start one right now.

I was there yesterday and the selection was much better than last time we were there. I'm hitting that Temescal market (the one right down Claremont from me) early tomorrow morning. I found pretty good corn there last week. I haven't been lucky with the corn at the Bowl.

Suzy better be open by next Sunday!

Oh! The Pasta Shop has Bomba rice in...
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:18 pm

We are leaving for Massachusetts at 0-dark thirty tomorrow for a few weeks, so tonight I'm going to be using up what I have, which is a package of boneless thighs and russet potatoes. Believe it or not, (and don't laugh) I am going to make a Rachel Ray recipe I made a while back that is great for roasting skinless, boneless chicken. It's quick and really tasty. Lemon juice, EVOO, garlic, Montreal Seasoning, etc. (It's okay, you can laugh.)

You won't find me laughing....I have tried many of Rachael's recipes and find them to be excellent. I like that she incorprates lots of vegetables in her recipes, and the flavors are very bold, which I like. I have many of her recipes that we use over and over.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:29 pm

Although we never put sauces on our steaks, I am making one tonight for our grilled New York steaks. Mushrooms, sour cream, butter, and chunks of blue cheese and red wine. I've rubbed the steaks down with tarragon, pepper and garlic garni. A bounty from the Farmer's Market this morning of purple spuds, red and yellow spuds, red and orange bell peppers, red onion, and a yellow and red tomato from my garden ended up in chunks on a roasting sheet. Sprinkled with EVOO, herbs and garlic, will be roasted until a nice caramelizing starts. Finished off with a toss of fresh parsley and a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar. I also made a Mexican Mocha ice cream and put in a bit of smoked red savina pepper.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:30 pm

I've been baking (surprise, surprise). Two batches of raspberry and rhubarb friands, jam cookies, almond bread, sourdough bread, and I have a batch of spelt bread in the oven now. I also made peri-peri sauce from some chillies I found in the fridge. We had frittatta (I never know where the double 't' goes) for dinner on Friday night, and nachos last night, and I'm going to make pasta soup for lunch today.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:11 pm

Laura is on Nutrisystem, so I have been doing simple grilling of meat/fish with accompanying veggies for me. It's not worth doing anything elaborate just for one person.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:24 pm

Mussels marinara last night and a garden salad with the first garden tomatoes, arugula and fennel. Tonight, pan fried pork chops seasoned with Penzey's Turkish seasoning and lots of extra paprika made by a visitor from Hungary. Deglazed the pan with red onions, garlic, roasted red pepper juices, fresh thyme and parsley and finished it off with some cream. Served with he last few garden snap peas and small new red potatoes. Great tastes. I am working this weekend till 5 Sunday and plan on a Ramos Gin Fizz [ NYT recipe last week] at 5:05 if at all possible- anxious to see if it is as good as I remember 30 years ago during a wild week in New Orleans .After that , out to the garden to harvest red, yellow and green chard for a pasta sauce with smoked ham and chard . The seasonal produce is a great inspiration to cook.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:25 am

Last night was our summer episode of the neighborhood progressive dinner. We did dessert, which was a strawberry-blueberry-raspberry custard tart and a simple glazed chocolate torte. Basil ice cream and thyme-honey ice cream to go with.

Tonight was basic appetizers and cocktails with some friends. Martha made a roasted tomato dip and I fried up some zucchini blossoms.

Tomorrow is pizza with the Stupid's crust recipe. Haven't decided what to put on it and probably won't until hitting the farmer's market tomorrow morning.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:27 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Basil ice cream

Mike, do you have a recipe for this that you could share? I had it with peaches poached in moscato d'asti at Slanted Door recently, and I just fell in love, but haven't found a tried and true recipe yet.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:41 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Basil ice cream

Mike, do you have a recipe for this that you could share? I had it with peaches poached in moscato d'asti at Slanted Door recently, and I just fell in love, but haven't found a tried and true recipe yet.

Just posted it, Cynthia. I would think the combination with the peaches in moscato would be great.

If you try it out, let me know what you think.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:57 am

Freaking. Plum. Preserves.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:00 am

I'm going to cook something rich in trans fats.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:46 pm

You go, Thoreau.

rwj
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:58 pm

This has been a prefab weekend for us. Our daughter gave us a large box of goodies from her favorite butcher for Mothers/Fathers Days. About half of it was already in marinade. That included last nights lemon/pepper chicken breast. Excellent. Tonight we are trying a ready made salmon pie. It's been a busy weekend!!!
Next