Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Basil Ice Cream

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

RCP: Basil Ice Cream

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:40 am

This produces and ice cream with a vibrant green color and a fairly assertive basil flavor.

This recipe is from the October 2004 issue of Gourmet, via Epicurious.

2 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup well-chilled heavy cream

Bring milk, basil, 1/4 cup sugar, and a pinch of salt to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan, stirring, then remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes. Transfer to a blender (reserve saucepan) and blend until basil is finely ground, about 1 minute.

Beat together yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until thick and pale, about 1 minute. Add milk mixture in a stream, beating until combined well. Pour mixture into reserved saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture coats back of spoon and registers 175°F on thermometer (do not let boil). Immediately remove from heat and pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a metal bowl. Set bowl in a larger bowl of ice water and stir until cold, 10 to 15 minutes.

Stir in cream and freeze in ice cream maker. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 2 hours.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Basil Ice Cream

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:47 am

Thanks so much, Mike, that looks excellent! I think I can get to it some night this coming week.

Note to self: put ice cream freezer bowl in freezer!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:02 am

As you might guess from my other well-advertised aversions, ice cream isn't a favorite food, but an herbal ice cream could change my mind! Wonder about pairing this with a tomato sorbet....HMM. Intriguing post, thanks!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:54 am

Jenise wrote:As you might guess from my other well-advertised aversions, ice cream isn't a favorite food, but an herbal ice cream could change my mind! Wonder about pairing this with a tomato sorbet....HMM. Intriguing post, thanks!

That pairing with a tomato sorbet occurred to me as well. This is cream has a very rich texture to it, so there's be an interesting contrast there as well as with the flavors. Probably worth a try.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:30 pm

Jenise, why not tomato sorbet, basil sorbet, senza sugar layered in a parfait glass. A thin slice of mozzarella di buffalo between - a retake on insalata di Caprese ?
The basil IC sounds delicious but somehow does not seem right with tomato sorbet unless no sugar and the milk has a cheese/buttermilk/panna/mascarpone edge in a savory concotion.

Mike, thanks for the post. The BIC opens a lot of possibilities...
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:30 pm

Christina, a similar thought went through my mind, and then I noticed that the recipe doesn't call for that much sugar. At least, 1/2 c. for the eggs/milk/cream quantity seemed restrained (not that I'm an experienced ice cream maker, I'm not). Should I rethink that?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:21 am

Jenise wrote:As you might guess from my other well-advertised aversions, ice cream isn't a favorite food, but an herbal ice cream could change my mind! Wonder about pairing this with a tomato sorbet....HMM. Intriguing post, thanks!

I've done tarragon and lemon IC; thyme and lemon IC before with great success. I love herbs in dessert.

rwj