Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Hot Chocolate Mix

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

RCP: Hot Chocolate Mix

by Celia » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:02 am

We've been making this Epicurious recipe for years. Made another batch tonight, and thought I'd share my version. You can, of course, use any combination of dark and milk chocolate that you like - Callebaut is simply our "house" brand, and it works well, because it comes in callet form, which makes grinding easier.

2 cups white sugar (granulated)
1/2 vanilla bean - scrape out the seeds
12oz Callebaut 56% dark (semisweet) chocolate (sometimes I'll use some 70% in this mix as well)
4oz Callebaut Java milk chocolate
1 cup Dutch process unsweetened cocoa powder (we used Callebaut, but apparently Droste is very good as well).

1. In the bowl of a really big food processor, grind dark and milk chocolates until finely ground (do this by pulsing the processor in short bursts - you don't want to melt the chocolate).

2. Add white sugar, cocoa powder and the scraped out vanilla seeds and process some more. If your machine is too small, you can tip the chocolate into a large mixing bowl and stir the other ingredients in with a whisk.

This is a half batch, and we usually make double this amount (in two batches - the processor can't handle the whole lot at once). The secret is to try and grind it as finely as you can without heating up the blade too much (and therefore melting the chocolate against it).

The original recipe specified 1/4 to 1/3 cup mix to each cup of milk, but we use way less than that! My boys have this every night before they go to bed.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Re: RCP: Hot Chocolate Mix

by Mike Bowlin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:15 am

Thanks for that great sounding mixture. Gotta love hot chocolate.

One night as you fix yourself a cup add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon groound ancho chili powder to it. Its a nice touch that I found in Mexico long time back.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:32 am

I love chilli hot chocolate, Mike!
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:58 am

That's right, it is winter time down there. What is a typical winter day like in your area, *C*?

Ever tried a little mint in your hot chocolate? I love it.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:00 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:Its a nice touch that I found in Mexico long time back.

You and about six zillion chocolatiers who make "wicked" or "Aztec" chocolate!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:43 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:You and about six zillion chocolatiers who make "wicked" or "Aztec" chocolate!

Jeff, if you're ever in Santa Fe, I'll take you to Kakawa Chocolate House. They are the epitome of this with their Drinking Elixirs. Addictive. Darn good thing it's expensive or I would ingest WAY too much of it.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Somewhat related: a couple months ago, Cynthia was kind enough to send me some of her Mexican Bars, a chocolate brownie-ish thing made with smoked red savina and several other chiles. The Other Stupid oh-so-innocently offered one to his fiancee when she got home. She exclaimed, "Oooooh, brownies, I love brownies!" and took a few big bites. Then turned three shades of red and ran to the kitchen for water to put the fire out. The coughing and gasping went on for a while. She now refers to them as "The Brownies of Death."

I think the combo is terrific.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:16 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Jeff, if you're ever in Santa Fe, I'll take you to Kakawa Chocolate House. They are the epitome of this with their Drinking Elixirs. Addictive. Darn good thing it's expensive or I would ingest WAY too much of it.

Thank you!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Dave,

It's cool here at the moment, about 8C in the mornings. Cold for us, though not for you guys, I'm sure!

Will try mint in my hot chocolate, thanks for the recco.

Celia
Last edited by Celia on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:24 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Somewhat related: a couple months ago, Cynthia was kind enough to send me some of her Mexican Bars, a chocolate brownie-ish thing made with smoked red savina and several other chiles. The Other Stupid oh-so-innocently offered one to his fiancee when she got home. She exclaimed, "Oooooh, brownies, I love brownies!" and took a few big bites. Then turned three shades of red and ran to the kitchen for water to put the fire out. The coughing and gasping went on for a while. She now refers to them as "The Brownies of Death."

I think the combo is terrific.

Love your Brownies of Death story. Chocolate and chili just seems to be a natural match. Why more people dont sell it is a mystery. I know of at least one proveyor that has a product that mixes both but they want a fortune for it so I just do the ancho thing myself.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:25 pm

celia wrote:We've been making this Epicurious recipe for years. Made another batch tonight, and thought I'd share my version. You can, of course, use any combination of dark and milk chocolate that you like - Callebaut is simply our "house" brand, and it works well, because it comes in callet form, which makes grinding easier.

2 cups white sugar (granulated)
1/2 vanilla bean - scrape out the seeds
12oz Callebaut 56% dark (semisweet) chocolate (sometimes I'll use some 70% in this mix as well)
4oz Callebaut Java milk chocolate
1 cup Dutch process unsweetened cocoa powder (we used Callebaut, but apparently Droste is very good as well).

1. In the bowl of a really big food processor, grind dark and milk chocolates until finely ground (do this by pulsing the processor in short bursts - you don't want to melt the chocolate).

2. Add white sugar, cocoa powder and the scraped out vanilla seeds and process some more. If your machine is too small, you can tip the chocolate into a large mixing bowl and stir the other ingredients in with a whisk.

This is a half batch, and we usually make double this amount (in two batches - the processor can't handle the whole lot at once). The secret is to try and grind it as finely as you can without heating up the blade too much (and therefore melting the chocolate against it).

The original recipe specified 1/4 to 1/3 cup mix to each cup of milk, but we use way less than that! My boys have this every night before they go to bed.

Celia, is this drinkable if you cut the sugar by 50%. Not too bitter ??
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:24 pm

MIke, I think so, but I guess you'd need to try it to see if the cocoa doesn't dominate too much. It also depends how bitter you like your chocolate!

I've never tried to reduce the sugar, because I'm feeding teenage boys, and if there was less sugar, they'd add some in. They don't even like it when I fiddle with the proportions! ;)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial