Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Breakfast Pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Breakfast Pizza

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:14 am

I visit an Indian booth at the Farmer's Market on a regular basis. One of the foods I like is Haryali Paratha. It is wheat flour made into thin crepe like rounds. A thin mixture of cauliflower, carrots, lemon juice, green beens, garlic, ginger, salt and spices, all ground into a paste, and sandwiched in between two crepes. This morning I cut one in half, crisped on both sides in a non-stick pan, sprayed with a Pam type oil, spread it with a mixture of tubed sun-dried tomato paste and a hot tomato paste, a layer of thinly sliced radicchio, heirloom tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, topped off with ground garlic salt and fresh sweet basil. I put a lid on the pan until the cheese melts. Sometimes I use spinach, onion and tomatoes. A small serving of sliced peaches on the side.....very yummy! Guzzetti's Catering & Indian Food also makes many other flavors of this bread. The spinach filled are delicious also. They crisp up perfectly and make a nice, light breakfast.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Breakfast Pizza

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:43 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:They crisp up perfectly and make a nice, light breakfast.

Until you add all the other stuff, especially the cheese! :wink:

It sounds seriously good, Karen.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:13 pm

This is my kind of breakfast! Great idea--up here there's a brand of flavored Indian flatbreads that some stores carry. Some are thick and naan-like, but some are the thinner rotis and those are what we love to do this very kind of thing with. Similarly, we sometimes put cheese and fresh tomato slices on English muffins, or make quesadillas when there are leftover flour tortillas available. Sometimes I put scrambled eggs in one for Bob to make it more breakfasty, but that's really not needed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:They crisp up perfectly and make a nice, light breakfast.

Until you add all the other stuff, especially the cheese! :wink:

It sounds seriously good, Karen.

Actually, the cheese was the low-moisture, part skim and two thin slices is all you need on the tomatoes. So it really is healthy. It is said, one should eat some protein at every meal, so now and then I like to treat myself to low -fat cheese.
Many are quite tasty and the mozzarella melts beautifully.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:23 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I visit an Indian booth at the Farmer's Market on a regular basis. One of the foods I like is Haryali Paratha. It is wheat flour made into thin crepe like rounds. A thin mixture of cauliflower, carrots, lemon juice, green beens, garlic, ginger, salt and spices, all ground into a paste, and sandwiched in between two crepes. This morning I cut one in half, crisped on both sides in a non-stick pan, sprayed with a Pam type oil, spread it with a mixture of tubed sun-dried tomato paste and a hot tomato paste, a layer of thinly sliced radicchio, heirloom tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, topped off with ground garlic salt and fresh sweet basil. I put a lid on the pan until the cheese melts. Sometimes I use spinach, onion and tomatoes. A small serving of sliced peaches on the side.....very yummy! Guzzetti's Catering & Indian Food also makes many other flavors of this bread. The spinach filled are delicious also. They crisp up perfectly and make a nice, light breakfast.

Karen do you make dosas ?
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:56 am

That's one food item I have never been able to get to come out right. They're either too thick and unrollable (the upper surface looks like cracked dry mud) or they're too thin and fall apart. Hints?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:31 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:That's one food item I have never been able to get to come out right. They're either too thick and unrollable (the upper surface looks like cracked dry mud) or they're too thin and fall apart. Hints?

Trans fats.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:44 am

That's what I'm thinkin'.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Karen do you make dosas ?

No, Mike I do not make dosas.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Jenise wrote:. Sometimes I put scrambled eggs in one for Bob to make it more breakfasty, but that's really not needed.

Unless your name is Bob? :D
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

I will do some dosa August with pics. thanks, Mike
Thanks,