Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Making butter

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Making butter

by Celia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:48 am

I know there's been some discussion about this on the forum before, so I thought I'd mention what we did last weekend. We had a half litre of cream about to expire, so we beat it until it split (couldn't do this in the blender, although we tried. In the end we had to hand whisk it). Then we scooped the curds out with a sieve, squished them a bit to get as much liquid out as we could, and then beat the butter back and forward on a chopping board with a gnocchi paddle. It worked brilliantly, all the liquid was forced out, and the grooved side of the paddle didn't stick to the butter at all! (There's a photo in the Food Photo post).

We'll definitely be doing this again, especially since it made enough butter for a cake I baked today! This is something that really makes me happy - making the ingredients, and then using them to make something else. Today's cake used homemade butter, homemade vanilla extract and homemade jam. Woohoo!! :D

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Making butter

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:04 am

(shakes head in amusement) I don't know anyone else besides you who has a gnocchi paddle laying around.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:17 am

Now you know two. :mrgreen:

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:(shakes head in amusement) I don't know anyone else besides you who has a gnocchi paddle laying around.

And now I own two. ;) It was hard to make butter with only one paddle, two should let us bat it around like a tennis ball...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:31 pm

That is so cool Celia!! I am so impressed!

I don't think we would be able to do it with most of the cream here in the US though. I know I tried to make clotted cream once and it didn't work, because most of our creams are ultrapasturized as well as contain other ingredients.

But I think it's amazing that you are able to make so many things from scratch...WOW! I be right over for a taste of that cake. now all you have to do is mill your own flour...LOL!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:34 pm

Maria Samms wrote:now all you have to do is mill your own flour...LOL!

Oh my gosh Maria, don't give her any ideas!!

:)
Patti
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:01 pm

LOL! Actually, you're the second person today who's suggested a flour mill...

Maria, I know you can make butter from the cream you get in the US, because I first got the idea from this post of Bob Ross'. Give it a go! Small scale works well in the blender, but to make a full stick or two, you really need to whisk it by mixer or hand.

Cheers, Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:24 pm

celia wrote:Maria, I know you can make butter from the cream you get in the US, because I first got the idea from this post of Bob Ross'. Give it a go! Small scale works well in the blender, but to make a full stick or two, you really need to whisk it by mixer or hand.

Heck, Celia: it's the rare home cook who hasn't made butter at some point, albeit inadvertently, by overwhipping heavy cream en route to whipped cream. Of course, it gives a new meaning to "sweet butter," and can take on a distinctly bizarre element should the home cook have used vanilla extract in the mix, too.

Whip me! Beat me! Make me butter! :mrgreen:
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:30 pm

Mark, Mark, Mark.

I just had visions of you being beaten with a gnocchi paddle. :mrgreen:

Hey, I wasn't trying to show off, I promise! I just got excited at not having to throw my cream out. Interestingly, it's cheaper to buy butter, than it is to make butter from cream...

:D

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:33 am

Maria Samms wrote:I don't think we would be able to do it with most of the cream here in the US though. I know I tried to make clotted cream once and it didn't work, because most of our creams are ultrapasturized as well as contain other ingredients.

Yeah Maria, I've seen it happen many times in restaurants. The pastry chef will have some cream whipping in the mixer, get distracted, and whammo. Butter.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:01 am

John Tomasso wrote:Yeah Maria, I've seen it happen many times in restaurants. The pastry chef will have some cream whipping in the mixer, get distracted, and whammo.

Gee, I thought you were talking about Mark and the paddle again. :o
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 am

LOL Guys...MEN!

That's great Celia! I will try it sometime. Where' s pic of the cake?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:40 pm

Here it is, Maria.. :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:25 pm

Oh YUMMMMYY Celia...that looks fantastic!
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:03 am

celia wrote:LOL! Actually, you're the second person today who's suggested a flour mill...

Celia get a flour mill it is just right for the things you do.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:08 am

You first, Duane. ;)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:24 am

I already mill my grain now it is your turn.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Sigh. My problem is two fold. Firstly, I have two good friends who are professional millers, so I seem to have a constant supply of finely milled bread flour (a blessing for which I am extremely grateful). Secondly, I'm too impatient. To get the best results from milled flour, you need to let it rest for 6 weeks - un-aged flour doesn't give the same rise (something I've learnt the hard way from experience) - and I don't have the patience to wait that long! Many people bake with freshly milled flour, but I don't want the dense, "healthy" bread that is so fashionable these days. I want my bread to be chewy and elastic and full of air holes..

And having said all that, I've just never felt a mill just for milling cake flour was justified.. ;)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:29 pm

Ok so you don't need to get a mill. My great great grandfather ran the mill here in town but none of that knowledge has made it to this current generation. I would really be interested in hearing about how he made flour. I use fresh ground flour in the breads that I have been making and it seems to be very good to me. People say that you have to use it right away or let it oxidize for about three weeks. The last bread that I made has a crumb that is wonderfully light and just the opposite of dense. I'm also saving up the little bits of flour that are left over from each grind and will cook them when they have aged enough.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:56 pm

Cool, you've had better luck with freshly milled flour than I have, Duane - your breads certainly don't look heavy! Mine haven't been good at all. As for milling processes, it's a fascinating area, isn't it? As a personal preference, I'll buy roller milled flour any day over stoneground, which I find coarse and clunky to work with. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find roller milled organic flour. I guess it all comes down to the type of loaves we're trying to produce...

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:33 am

Celia I have been thinking of visiting a friend of mine that I went to school with that runs a local mill here. More to find out the history of milling in this area and if it has changed much. It is a fascinating subject and one that almost all people know nothing about but use the product everyday. Then I also have this wild idea of planting my own wheat or rye and making my own flour from it.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:03 am

Oooh, Duane. Maybe you should plant some ancient grains like kamut or spelt. They're in such high demand now. It would be a fun project, I really hope you do it!

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:39 am

Currently taking take of my grapes is my number one priority but I can always dream.

Celia there has been one more thing that is noticeably different about fresh ground flour. That it is very easy to slash.