Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Rava Dosa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

RCP: Rava Dosa

by Mike Bowlin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:54 pm

As promised here is an easy dosa recipe. It is easy because the 'stuffing' is cooked at the same time and the batter is simple.

Rava Dosa

2 cups water
¼ cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup fine semolina flour
1/3 cup white rice flour
1 tablespoon evoo
1 red bell pepper minced
1 green bell pepper minced
Enough shallots, minced, to measure 1/3 of a cup
3 minced small hot chilies
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
1.5 teaspoons crushed cumin seeds
1 teaspoon cayenne
1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground Malabar black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

Combine and whisk the flour and water. Allow this mixture to sit for 2 to 3 hours at room temp.

In a sauté pan add the evoo. When piping hot add the cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle in the oil for 15 seconds. Add the shallots,bell peppers, small chilies, cilantro, cayenne, black pepper and allspice. Saute on medium high heat for 5 minutes until color shows on vegetables. Off heat.

After the allotted wait time on the dosa mixture add the two mixtures together and add the salt. Combine well.

This dosa is best done in a skillet or crepe pan versus a flattop or tava.

Heat cooking surface to medium low heat, test by flicking water onto surface, if it dances its ready. Brush surface with approximately ½ teaspoon of oil to prevent sticking. Pour or ladle 3 ounces of batter to the center of the cooking surface. Using the back of the ladle or the bottom of a large round spoon shape the crepe/dosa to form a round crepe like appearance.

Cook the first side for 2 minutes. Flip and cook the second side for 1 minute. Keep warm in a slow oven.

rava-dosa.jpg
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP: Rava Dosa

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks, this is one of my favorites. I'll see if I can break the Yaniger Dosa Curse...
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:31 pm

Wow Mike,

This is exacly what I need to cook for my Mom the next time I'm in the states. She LOVES things like this that are heavily flour based…
Thanks so much sharing this with us!

Best wishes,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:58 pm

I gotta try this.

My own attempts at dosas from scratch (i.e., raw rice and urad dal) have been disastrous. There's an Indian grocery store nearby that sells pre-made dosa batter, and I've been making my own dosas using that batter with great success.

You've given me the inspiration to try my own batter once more.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:09 am

Some folks have had dosas at an Indian restaurant and pull their hair out because they can't duplicate same at home. They forget that most indian restaurants use a 24 inch cast iron tava that cooks dosas all day long and is seasoned so well that NOTHING sticks. Not to mention the cook whose only job it is to cook another dosa. So anything we do at home that gets close and tastes good is fine with me. And the stuffings are endless !
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:48 am

YUM! You're posted this just to make me sorry that when I made my last Penzey's order, I passed on whole cumin seeds, didn't you? :) Looks fantastic, Mike, you're a pro.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:57 pm

For me there are a couple of problems with cooking Dosas at home

1) I don't have a frying pan 2 feet across

2) within about 5 miles I probably have 20 restaurants that serve better dosas, of all descriptions, than I could ever cook, and

3) the most elegant, filling meal at a Dosa place barely breaks into double digits pricewise.

So I can take my wife and 3 grad students out and spend about $50 for everyone to get so full they can barely walk...

I suppose this is a good thing about central New Jersey

Frank