Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Karnataka Dosa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

RCP: Karnataka Dosa

by Mike Bowlin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:01 pm

This dosa is more difficult than the Rava Dosa posted earlier. Its easy to overheat the cooking surface which will cause too many holes to appear on this dosa.

South Indian Dosa Karnataka

½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup wheat flour
1 cup rather fine cornmeal
1 cup fine semolina flour
2 teaspoons crushed cumin seeds
1 teaspoon red pepper, your choice
4 tablespoons minced cilantro
1 tablespoon of mustard oil or evoo
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
3 ¼ cups cold water

Combine and whisk together the flours and water. Allow this mixture to sit for 2 to 3 hours at room temp. At the end of that time check the consistency. This ‘batter’ should be a little thicker than your average crepe. Add the oil, salt, soda and water if necessary.

Heat a 10 inch skillet or crepe pan or flattop or tava to medium low heat. Test surface by flicking water droplets to surface, if they dance its ready.

Brush cooking surface with oil of your choice. Not too much, just enough to barely see about ½ teaspoon per dosa.

Place 3 ounces of batter in the center of the cooking surface and immediately place swirl the batter around and around to shape a ‘crepe’/dosa. This can be done with the back of a ladle or the bottom of a large round spoon. Try not to allow holes to appear. Patch them with the ladle or spoon back.
You can cook the first side covered or not. Covered cooks a little faster. A wok pan lid is a good cover for a tava.

Cook the first side for 2 minutes. Time it close or they will burn. Flip or turn the dosa over and cook the second side 1 minute.

Keep warm in slow oven until ready to eat. Eat stuffed or use as a chapatti to eat other foods.

karnatakadosa.jpg

Dosa on left was cooked in a crepe pan. Right was cooked on a tava.
tava.jpg

veggies.jpg

A couple of ideas for stuffing dosa are mushrooms cooked in a madras type curry sauce or spicy potatoes with tomatoes.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Karnataka Dosa

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:55 pm

I must stop reading the forum in between meals. Now I'm starving. Thanks, Mike! :?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:05 pm

Not the conventional dosa batter, which is made from 2/3 soaked rice and 1/3 soaked urad dal. But a recipe well worth trying.

I've found that it's important to use a METAL ladle to spread out the batter, versus a plastic one. I'm not sure just why it's so, but the metal ladle manages to get the batter spread out thinner and more evenly, leading to a better dosa, than the plastic ladle.

There are so many variables--texture and temperature of the batter, degree of fermentation of the batter, temperature of the griddle, thickness of the dosa, utensil used to spread the batter--involved in making the perfect dosa. I'm getting better at it, but I'm far from satisfied with my level of expertise in this area. But it's most enjoyable learning more.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:05 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Not the conventional dosa batter, which is made from 2/3 soaked rice and 1/3 soaked urad dal. But a recipe well worth trying.

I've found that it's important to use a METAL ladle to spread out the batter, versus a plastic one. I'm not sure just why it's so, but the metal ladle manages to get the batter spread out thinner and more evenly, leading to a better dosa, than the plastic ladle.

There are so many variables--texture and temperature of the batter, degree of fermentation of the batter, temperature of the griddle, thickness of the dosa, utensil used to spread the batter--involved in making the perfect dosa. I'm getting better at it, but I'm far from satisfied with my level of expertise in this area. But it's most enjoyable learning more.

-Paul W.

Dosa recipes, like crepes, are too numerous to count. All of them are fun to make and more fun to munch!!
Thanks,
Mike