Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Whats for dinner ? 7-30-08

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Whats for dinner ? 7-30-08

by Mike Bowlin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:54 pm

Since I was doing dosa today I just cooked indian. Dosa, spicy potatoes, beans with tomatoes, mushrooms in curry sauce and riata (yogurt salad).

dinner730.jpg

So what are you cooking for dinner ?
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Whats for dinner ? 7-30-08

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Leftover pizza before chat.

But I am also just starting a trial run on a new cake recipe. So perhaps a slice of that will make it's way to a plate before bedtime....
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Thick fresh halibut fillet marinated in lime juice/zest, fresh ginger, brown sugar, then grilled and basted with reserved marinade. Fresh pineapple spears, brushed with brown sugar, ginger. Small casserole of layered zucchini, garden tomatoes, oregano and basil, topped with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. A side salad of baby lettuce, romaine, red onion, with a vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Real gourmet: grilled ham and cheese, and clam chowder.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:30 pm

Eggplant Parmesan three layers deep, consisting of eggplant, sauce, mozz, and then Parmesan. As I said three layers deep. Slice the eggplant and sprinkle with salt. whip an egg, mix 50/50 flour and cornmeal. dry the eggplant and dredge it through the egg bath then in the flour cornmeal mix and fry in EVOO. layer the eggplant, marinara sauce mozzarella and Parmesan cheese(s) to the top and cook on Hot Mama at 350 - 370 degrees F with heat deflector in place for 45 minutes. Allow to set for 20-30 minutes and dish it up.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:37 pm

on the grill: hot dogs, portobello mushrooms, whole wheat naan, mixed veg

sparkling beaujolais with the impromptu picnic!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:55 pm

I love the presentation for that Indian meal--katoris, a thali, and everything. I cook Indian a lot, but it's always a lot less formal (read: a lot more messy).

Wow!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:31 am

Me, too- I don't have a thali in the cupboard.

Tonight was very light, miso soup with tofu and stir-fried Blue Lake green beans. That made up for last night, which was Lasagna alla Barlettano.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:58 am

There are some very interesting and diverse menus on this thread. Hot dogs and naan, now thats diverse.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:25 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:Hot dogs and naan, now thats diverse.

We hate squishy white-bread rolls. This is my latest effort at Variant Bun.

(Cue Stuart!)
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:49 am

Roast pork neck with fennel, bay, garlic and thyme rub, to be served with roast potatoes, sugar snap peas, and salad. We'll also have sourdough bread on the table, with Pukara Estate Novello 2008 (first press unfiltered EVOO) and white balsamic vinegar. Dessert will be homemade Callebaut chocolate and hazelnut squares.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:10 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Me, too- I don't have a thali in the cupboard.

Tonight was very light, miso soup with tofu and stir-fried Blue Lake green beans. That made up for last night, which was Lasagna alla Barlettano.

And what was the texture of your lavosh?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:05 pm

I brushed them with olive oil first, and they stayed very separate, didn't soggy up on me.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 pm

I had fatoush and am having the leftovers for lunch today. Baked fruit for dessert.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:50 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I brushed them with olive oil first, and they stayed very separate, didn't soggy up on me.

Good, that should be the solution. I wonder if Gary moved his eggplant straight onto the lavosh layer as he was frying them? I moved mine onto paper towels top and bottom to drain them, and did the assembly later. His technique might have resulted in residual oil to lube the lavosh, where mine didn't.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:54 pm

Your dinner was absolutely gorgeous. Love that you even have the right stuff for serving.

Our dinner was a cold charcuterie plate of sliced pork and chicken terrine, a pate en croute I made as a practice version for a dish I'm doing on Saturday, with a side salad of sliced brandywines and avocado. A great summer meal, and it's a good thing I served it yesterday because today doesn't look like summer!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:01 pm

We got to New England on Sunday and up until the 30th, I had been "three for three." Seafood three nights in a row from the time I got here. The first night baked scallops and haddock, the second night lobster and shrimp scampi over pasta, the third night we had lobster (me a 3 pounder that I ate half of, Len a 4 pounder that he ate all of and could have eaten more). On the fourth night (7/30) we had take out Chinese. :)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:36 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote:Hot dogs and naan, now thats diverse.

We hate squishy white-bread rolls.

Squishy white bread rolls or anything like them. Thats why there are so many home bakers on this forum. Wonder bread... the only thing Wonder bread is good for is a potato chip and mayo sandwich...
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:02 am

Carrie L. wrote:We got to New England on Sunday and up until the 30th, I had been "three for three." Seafood three nights in a row from the time I got here. The first night baked scallops and haddock, the second night lobster and shrimp scampi over pasta, the third night we had lobster (me a 3 pounder that I ate half of, Len a 4 pounder that he ate all of and could have eaten more). On the fourth night (7/30) we had take out Chinese. :)

Oh you're making me SO jealous.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:We got to New England on Sunday and up until the 30th, I had been "three for three." Seafood three nights in a row from the time I got here. The first night baked scallops and haddock, the second night lobster and shrimp scampi over pasta, the third night we had lobster (me a 3 pounder that I ate half of, Len a 4 pounder that he ate all of and could have eaten more). On the fourth night (7/30) we had take out Chinese. :)

Oh you're making me SO jealous.

I just can't help myself. Last night we had FRIED platters of haddock, scallops, and whole belly clams. Oh my.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)