Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Crema Catalana

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Crema Catalana

by Robert J. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Spaniards will tell you that they invented it before the French did. I don't really care who did it first but this version of "runny" creme brulée is lovely. I made this for the class last night at a tasting of Spanish wines.

Crema Catalana

2 cups Whole Milk
1 cup Heavy Cream
6 strips Lemon Zest
6 strips Orange Zest
1 Cinnamon Stick (3 inches)
1/2 Vanilla Bean, scraped
7 large Egg Yolks
3/4 cup Sugar
1/4 Demerrara Sugar*
2 1/2 Tbsp. Flour

1. Combine the milk, cream, orange and lemon zests, cinnamon, and vanilla bean (seeds and spent pod) in a heavy saucepan and bring almost to a simmer over low heat. Let the mixture cook for about 10 minutes but do not allow it to boil. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

2. Whisk together 3/4 cup of sugar and the egg yolks in a medium sized bowl until light yellow and thick. Whisk in the flour, then strain the milk into the yolk mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly to mix (this is a great 2-person job, so get your lover involved). Return this mixture to the saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly. When the mixture thickens, gently simmer for 1 or 2 more minutes but do not let it boil or it will curdle.

3. Immediately divide the custard among 6 individual ramekins. Cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours.

4. When ready to serve sprinkle the tops of the custards with and even layer of the demerrara sugar. Caramelize with a blowtorch or under the broiler, moving the torch or turning the ramekins as needed to ensure even caramelizing. When the sugar is nicely caramelized all over (I like it to get almost black) let it cool for a moment and then do another layer.

5. Serve and enjoy!

* If you don't have demerrara sugar available just use regular refined sugar. The crust won't be as delightful, though.
rwj
Last edited by Robert J. on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP: Crema Catalana

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:05 pm

I could eat that!

Can I assume that the suggested amount of vanilla is a minimum, and could perhaps be exceeded by someone who likes to turn it up past 11?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:18 pm

Oh that makes me long for the Creme Catalana at Pepin, my favorite Spanish restaurant in Florida. They come around with a hot iron and "brand" the dessert tableside (to carmelize the sugar). What a great dessert.
I'll try your recipe when I get home from our travels, Robert.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I could eat that!

Can I assume that the suggested amount of vanilla is a minimum, and could perhaps be exceeded by someone who likes to turn it up past 11?

I toned it down for the recipe but what I made for class last night went to 13. 8)

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:25 pm

You rock, Cowboy.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Yup. I reckon I do.

rwj