Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Paella Valenciana

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Paella Valenciana

by Robert J. » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:33 pm

I was going to post this earlier with the Crema Catalana recipe but had to dash out for a hair cut. I'm back and here is the real deal. I made this last night, too, at the Spanish wine class.

Paella Valenciana

2 cups EVOO
1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into strips
1 # boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into pieces (or 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces)
1 Whole Rabbit, legs, thighs, and saddle removed and cut into pieces (boning optional but preferred)
2 cups Snails, rinsed
1 tsp Spanish Paprika
1 1/2 # Green Beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 # Fava Beans, shelled
1 Tomato, chopped
1 large pinch Saffron
2 cups Carnaroli Rice
Water as needed, about 6 cups

1. Heat 1/2 cup of EVOO in a large, shallow fry pan or paella pan. Add the strips of pepper and fry until the soften and brown in spots. Remove and reserve for garnish. Fry the chicken and rabbit at medium-high heat until they are nicely browned, adding more oil as needed. Add the paprika to color the meat but don't let it burn. Push the meat to the edges of the pan. Add the beans and tomatoes to the center of the pan mixing them well. Add some water and cover, allowing the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes or so, just to soften the beans and cook the meat through. Add the snails and cook for 5 more minutes.

2. Heat 4 cups of water and add a large pinch of saffron to "bloom" the flavor and aroma out of it. In another sauté pan heat 1/2 cup of EVOO and add the rice, allowing it to fry (stirring constantly) until it is slightly translucent. Distribute the rice over the meat and beans, stirring to let the rice settle in the pan. Add the saffron water to cover the mixture. Allow to cook, uncovered, and let the rice absorb the liquid. Add more water as needed until the rice is cooked. You may need to lightly stir the mixture at this point to ensure even cooking of the rice (but if you don't need to stir, then don't). Season with salt and pepper and lightly stir to blend. At this point don't stir the paella anymore until you serve it.

Just before you serve the paella turn the heat back to medium-high and allow the bottom of the rice to caramelize so that the socarrat begins to form. Be careful not to burn the paella at this point. If you don't feel comfortable forming the socarrat then just skip it and serve the paella without it. Better to have no socarrat than have burned paella.

Enjoy!

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Paella Valenciana

by Jenise » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:10 am

Isn't paella a GREAT dish? You can put anything in it (including, apparently, snails :) ). You remind me that I bought a large paella pan about a year ago that I could plan a paella party around, and I haven't done it.

Btw, one of the best paellas I ever had was made for me by a Spanish lady whose cheap new husband wouldn't allow her to buy saffron. So, no saffron! Pepperoni stood in for the chorizo, and the only meat in it was shrimp. Sounds kind of plain compared to your misto, but it had a lovely very pure seafood flavor that was quite compelling.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:35 pm

Jenise wrote:So, no saffron!

Now there is a thought for my herb-spice-challenged husband. Saffron is the only thing keeping him from liking Paella. What color did the rice come out?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:46 pm

When I talked to the students about paella I likened it to chili here in Texas; every cook has their own recipe and it varies by region. The trick to a good paella is not in any of the ingredients except for the rice. If you make a good rice then you will have a good paella.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:08 am

Carrie L. wrote:
Jenise wrote:So, no saffron!

Now there is a thought for my herb-spice-challenged husband. Saffron is the only thing keeping him from liking Paella. What color did the rice come out?

It was a pale coral, shrimpy color--not just from the shrimp but color-bleed from the pepperoni, too. There are a lot of great one-dish meals one can make, as Robert points out, using paella technique but adding in whatever else you want and certainly leaving out what you don't. If you'd like the yellow color, use a little turmeric.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Jenise wrote: If you'd like the yellow color, use a little turmeric.

Oh, I'm quite sure he wouldn't like that spice either! That "pure seafood" flavor you mention would be right up his alley though.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:43 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jenise wrote: If you'd like the yellow color, use a little turmeric.

Oh, I'm quite sure he wouldn't like that spice either! That "pure seafood" flavor you mention would be right up his alley though.

Good, I'd vote for not using it myself. The shrimp are actually more beautiful without the saffron stain.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:06 am

Carrie, does "smoky" bother him? If not, a generous spoonful of pimenton during the sofrito step will give a nice color and really enhance the flavor.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:21 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Carrie, does "smoky" bother him? If not, a generous spoonful of pimenton during the sofrito step will give a nice color and really enhance the flavor.

He likes pimento, so that would probably work. Thanks for the tip. Now I just have to get back to my kitchen.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:24 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:Carrie, does "smoky" bother him? If not, a generous spoonful of pimenton during the sofrito step will give a nice color and really enhance the flavor.

He likes pimento, so that would probably work. Thanks for the tip. Now I just have to get back to my kitchen.

Stuart's right, but if you're using pepperoni or you actually go one better and have real Spanish chorizo to use instead, you'll get a lot of pimenton flavor from those.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:45 pm

Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:

Stuart's right, but if you're using pepperoni or you actually go one better and have real Spanish chorizo to use instead, you'll get a lot of pimenton flavor from those.

Alright. I love chorizo, so will start there and add the pimenton if I think it needs something else. (Guess that is a spice! Not familiar--I thought Stuart was saying pimento but added an "n" by mistake.)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:41 pm

It's basically a smoked paprika. I love the stuff.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.