Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

POLL: Who does the meal preparation at your house?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

How are the cooking responsibilities shared at your house?

I basically do ALL the cooking
57%
Sometimes I cook, sometimes my partner cooks
11%
We generally prepare meals together
7%
I cook the savories, my partner does the sweets
2%
I do the sweets, my partner cooks the savories
No votes
Doesn't apply, I'm single
11%
Other (explain)
11%

Total votes : 44
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: POLL: Who does the meal preparation at your house?

by Maria Samms » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:00 pm

Awesome story Jenise! And you are such a sweet wife. That sounds like something my husband would do, but I wouldn't have thought it was cute and probably would have not been overly appreciative at that moment...LOL!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Jenise, that is so typical of a man. I always ask Gene if he is thinking with the empty box in his head, because that is something he would do. And upon questioning him as to why he did it, he would then say, "I thought you were being artistic with the food for our company". Well, I do that now and then so I guess it would make sense! Cute story. I must admit that I am a big fan of the Women/Men/Mars/Venus theory!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:34 pm

I voted that it doesn't apply since I am single. When my son is here or I have friends over I am usually happy to let them pitch in...with my guidance, of course. I do, however, have a handful of chef-friends that I will let have carte blanche in my kitchen.

rwj
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:20 am

Where is the line for "I'm a married male'"? Geez, my wife is such a good cook, I hardly know what the kitchen looks like. :mrgreen:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:22 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Where is the line for "I'm a married male'"? Geez, my wife is such a good cook, I hardly know what the kitchen looks like. :mrgreen:

You're right, I forgot the voyeur category. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:47 pm

I cook, she cooks. She handles the weekday meals and I get the weekends. Hers is more food for being consumed. Mine is generally a little more involved, though not always. It's all about available time and schedules.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:27 pm

Scott, if work weren't an issue, would you be cooking together? I'm surprised that only three people who answered this poll do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 pm

I clicked "I do all the cooking" because that's pretty much the full story. To be fair, on weekends, my husband will occasionally make breakfast for me or for guests who happen to be in the house, but I have to give him step by step instructions every time. Here's how it goes:

Me: "Put out orange juice, toast some english muffins, get out some apricot preserves. The good butter is in the outside freezer. Cook some breakfast sausages and put eggs in the egg-cooker."
Kirk: "Where's the orange juice?"
Me: In the fridge.
Kirk (15 minutes later): "I can't find the english muffins or the sausages." You said cherry jam, right?
Me: Never mind, I'm coming downstairs now.

He barely knows how to turn on the oven. In fact until a month ago, he really had no idea how to turn it on and we had to deal with a raw chicken that I thought would be roasted when we got home from an errand one afternoon when I asked him to turn on the oven.
He really appreciates my cooking and I think he'd probably like to know how to do more himself, but he has no intuition about how to cook anything except maybe a fried egg. But if he's making fried eggs, he'll cook the eggs first, then remember there should be toast, and by the time the toast is done the eggs are overcooked and/or cold. He did make a wonderful cheesecake for me as a surprise once on my birthday, using a complicated recipe, so I know he'd be capable if I wanted to relinquish some of the cooking duties, but then I'd have to clean up after him. As it is, he cleans up after me, which suits me just fine.
I'm not really complaining about him, after all we've been married almost 39 years, but I'm still somewhat astonished that a guy who is so intelligent, accomplished and talented in so many ways cannot make an edible meal without me holding his hand every step of the way.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Jenise wrote:Scott, if work weren't an issue, would you be cooking together? I'm surprised that only three people who answered this poll do.

You didn't leave a category for ME. Look at all the people who claim to do ALL the cooking. Doesn't that imply an equal number of 'voyeurs" as you put it? (I might be inclined to be somewhat crasser.)
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Jenise wrote:Scott, if work weren't an issue, would you be cooking together? I'm surprised that only three people who answered this poll do.

No, it'd probably be me, Jenise. She sees it as more of a chore; I'm the one that gets entertainment value out of it.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:49 pm

I was one of the three. Cindy and I do a lot of cooking together although in total she probably does more than I. I pretty much do all the grilling and BBQ while she does all the baking. Prep and salads and veggies and fruits are usually done by whoever is free or both of us. I also handle the sommelier and bartending duties.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:02 am

My wife can cook but she doesn't enjoy it nearly as much as I do so for the most part it is easier to divide the household chores with me shopping for food and cooking it and her doing the cleaning. Works well for me because I actually enjoy the shopping and cooking, which she sometimes complains about because she doesn't really 'enjoy' cleaning. But, she can also knock out the cleaning pretty quickly on the weekend whereas the shopping and cooking is an ongoing time issue.

Depending on our schedules we do cook together sometimes, and although I usually enjoy having complete control I am always impressed with how fast everything goes with two people instead of just one!

Sometimes she will want to cook, if I don't have time or if there is a special dish she wants to have, but then I find it very difficult not to contribute my 'advice' about how she should be doing this or that :D
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:56 am

My wife and I do cook together once in a while. Not often because usually one of us is busy with the kids. When we do, I have to say it works really well. We have a small kitchen that's not laid out well, but we manage to work together without bumping into each other or knocking stuff on the floor. This even when we're rushing around trying to get a bunch of stuff ready for a dinner party.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 am

Not answering for Scott, but in our case, Mary will often hang out in the kitchen with me just to be there and do odd jobs, so I suppose it was a little selfish of me to answer "I do the cooking" (for dinner). But most often she's been working her butt off all day, and one of the aspects of my cooking is that she gets to sit and read and catch her breath while I'm doing something that I enjoy.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:13 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:When I got home, ALL of the potatoes were peeled halfway.

Splendid! Delightful! What a great story. Thank you for telling it.

Ditto. That story is adorable.

Not so adorable when your mate is literal and almost everything you ask them to do is done this way! :shock: :roll: Needless to say, I do ALL the cooking!! It's just a safer bet.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:07 pm

With an active 3-year-old in the house, both cooking together is a rare option, though we both like to cook. However, the division of labor doesn't fit any of the neat categories. Jean likes to cook simple meals (meat, starch, veggie) and I like to cook more elaborate dishes (paella, risotto, cassoulet, mole Poblano, lapin a la moutarde). Fortunately, Jean likes to eat those dishes, so we have a fairly harmonious operation.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Jenise wrote:Same here, Traci. Well--almost, Bob does the bartending AFTER I select the wine. But he sets the table and keeps me company.

Carrie, I always had the same romantic vision of two people cooking together. So when I met Bob, a total non-cook, I was so excited when he said that he'd always had that same romantic vision. We now officially refer to that statement as "the only lie Bob has ever told". :) He claims that the first time he ever saw me slice an onion at lightning speed, he changed his mind about thinking he could be helpful. He just doesn't have any instincts--once we were preparing for a party and under the crunch time-wise when I realized we were missing a crucial ingredient and had to make a grocery run. He said what can I do to help while you're gone and I pointed to a bag of potatoes and said, "peel about half of those". When I got home, ALL of the potatoes were peeled halfway. It was the cutest thing, I'd have given anything to not have had to tell him that he misunderstood.

Reminiscent of when I asked a student to go out to the garden to get some basil for a pasta dish we were preparing.

Just happened to be the day a writer was there doing a piece for Memphis Magazine. She was standing right by the door, notebook in hand, when he returned from foraging.

He stepped in the door and proudly held up the basil plant with its roots dripping soil. It was about three feet tall and quite full.

"Is this what you wanted, Chef?"

The writer laughed her ass off and the incident made the article.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:03 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Reminiscent of when I asked a student to go out to the garden to get some basil for a pasta dish we were preparing.

Cute story. It's hard sometimes, isn't it, to put yourself in the shoes of someone who knows less than you so that all possible misunderstandings are avoided?
Previous