Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

what is best way to peel peaches?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

what is best way to peel peaches?

by John F » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:13 pm

I am making Traci M's peach and blueberry crumble tonight and it starts with 7 peeled peaches

Do I cut them off the stone first (in half) and then peel? Can I drop in boiling water for a few seconds and then peel etc etc

Thanks in advance for your help
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: what is best way to peel peaches?

by Christina Georgina » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:54 pm

When I need to do a lot, I always drop in boiling water a few seconds - just the skin will slip off. I hate to waste any precious fruit by using a knife.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:17 pm

John,

I agree with Christinia...especially since the peaches will be part of a cooked application anyway.

If I am just cutting a few, I usually cut them in half and separate (if they are not cling peaches), then I quarter them. Slice each core out and the quickly peel back the skin off each quarter. But if I am doing a lot for something like a cobbler, I would do a quick drop in boiling water. Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Just take a potato peeler and go for it, fast, easy and no boiling water.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Like Karen, I just peel them with a peeler, then halve them if freestone or slice them if cling.
I tried the boiling water bit. I'm just too clumsy. Either I burn my fingers, cook the peach, or don't get it hot enough. Mostly burn my fingers.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:39 pm

John,

Would you mind posting the recipe for this? Some friends brought some beautiful Michigan blueberries home and gave me a bunch. I made blueberry buckle tonight and would love to try a crumble with blueberries and peaches.

Thank you!
Patti
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

by John F » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:31 am

Patti L wrote:John,

Would you mind posting the recipe for this? Some friends brought some beautiful Michigan blueberries home and gave me a bunch. I made blueberry buckle tonight and would love to try a crumble with blueberries and peaches.

Thank you!

Patti

Here you go - Traci is always reliable!

Topic: RC: Blueberry Peach Cobbler
Author: Robert Noecker
Date: Thu Aug 23 08:57:58 2001
This recipe, adapted by Beverly from the Santa Rosa Press Democrat a few years back is an all time favorite, particularly this week, since peaches are in season.

7 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
1 pint blueberries
1 t grated lemon rind
1 T lemon juice
1/8 t almond extract
3/4 C plus 5 T sugar , divided
1 C all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 egg
5 T butter, melted
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
whipped cream or ice cream, for serving

Place peached and blueberries in greased 13 X 9 baking dish. Combine lemon rind, lemon juice, almond extract and 3 T sugar and sprinkle over fruit. Set aside
Sift together flour, 3/4 C sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Add egg and blend to make course mixture. Sprinkle over fruit in baking dish. Drizzle with melted butter.
Combine cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining 2 T sugar and sprinkle over all.

Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 degreees and bake for 12 to 15 minutes longer until slightly browned. Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
TraciM
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Iowa

by Patti L » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 am

Thank you for posting John.

I'll make it this weekend!
Patti
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:01 pm

There's a special peeler with a serrated edge meant to peel softer fruits like peaches and tomatoes.

I used mine today to peel a whole basket of peaches for a Caramel Peach Pie. It worked well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Tomato-P ... B000EUKOZ2
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:09 pm

John F, excellent recipe, the combo of the peaches, almond. lemon, nutmeg is outstanding. So many layers of flavor. I did not use blueberries, because I do not like them with peaches. We used peaches picked from the trees last night and made this today. There was so much juice, so we served in over vanilla bean ice cream. By far the best California dessert I could serve to company right now!!!!!!
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:29 pm

Isn't that cobbler so good??!!

Wanna hear something funny? I don't even think I peeled the peaches the last couple of times I've made this dish. I'm guessing you peel the peaches because of a texture thing. Well, that doesn't bother me.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

by John F » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:38 am

TraciM wrote:Isn't that cobbler so good??!!

Wanna hear something funny? I don't even think I peeled the peaches the last couple of times I've made this dish. I'm guessing you peel the peaches because of a texture thing. Well, that doesn't bother me.

Interesting that you said that - as I was peeling them I was thinking...I've been eating peaches every day on the beach and never peel them - why am I doing it now??

Loved the recipe for flavor - my only question is I felt there was almost too much fruit juice released....mine was on the soupy side - any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 am

John F wrote:

Interesting that you said that - as I was peeling them I was thinking...I've been eating peaches every day on the beach and never peel them - why am I doing it now??

Loved the recipe for flavor - my only question is I felt there was almost too much fruit juice released....mine was on the soupy side - any thoughts?

I was just going to post this exact thought. Don't peel them. You're going to bake them into heavenly softness anyway so why bother? Also, I find that the skins have a ton of flavor and I don't want to lose that. Unless there is a VERY specific reason for peeling the peaches then I never do it.

rwj
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:21 am

John F wrote:

Not a fruit expert, but were they really, really ripe peaches? That could be the problem. I assume that prepared the topping as described?
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:48 am

Interesting. I have never had a problem peeling ripe peaches. I don't use a peeler or blanching, I just nick the skin once and I can peel the skin right off in large pieces without losing any of the meat, but the peaches have to be ripe.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:33 pm

My "solution": buy nectarines and then don't bother with peeling!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Now that the Russians have invaded Georgia, I wonder if the price of peaches is going up.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:14 pm

A trick a friend told me about for getting them off the stone.

Don't run the knife vertically, as is natural. slice around the middle (horizontally). Whilst still sometimes stubborn, they do seem to come off the stone a little easier.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Leslie D. wrote:There's a special peeler with a serrated edge meant to peel softer fruits like peaches and tomatoes.

I used mine today to peel a whole basket of peaches for a Caramel Peach Pie. It worked well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Tomato-P ... B000EUKOZ2

Ding ding ding! If one requires truly peeled peaches, this is the only way (I have the OXO model). The blanching method is my favorite if I need a lot of peaches, though it does slightly cook the fruit, as noted above. Get one, you will be astonished at how easily it removes the skin of even fairly soft fruit.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Iowa

by Patti L » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:28 pm

I made this cobbler today and added some raspberries I had in the fridge.

What a delicious recipe! Thank you again for posting it.
Patti