Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What to do with red gooseberries?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What to do with red gooseberries?

by Jenise » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:01 pm

They don't taste like sauvignon blanc. :) Actually, they are quite tasty, and a bit sweeter than I remember the green being.

Anyway, I have a bowlfull (about a pint) from a bush I planted this summer and have no idea what to do with my little harvest. Any ideas?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David N

Rank

Wine geek

Thu May 01, 2008 11:49 pm

Re: What to do with red gooseberries?

by David N » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Gooseberry Fool (not you, Jenise, the name of the traditional English dessert).
Poach the gooseberries lightly with a small amount of sugar or honey. Run them through a food mill or food processor and fold them into whipped cream.
Actually better with the green varieties, which are more acidic.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:43 pm

David N wrote:Gooseberry Fool (not you, Jenise, the name of the traditional English dessert).
Poach the gooseberries lightly with a small amount of sugar or honey. Run them through a food mill or food processor and fold them into whipped cream.
Actually better with the green varieties, which are more acidic.

Great idea, thanks! I could add a bit of lime rind for contrasting complexity, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:37 pm

Gooseberry Buckle. Sorry, I just had to say it.

rwj
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Jerusalem

by Yoni M » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:26 am

Hi Jenise,

If you haven't yet made a dish with gooseberries, I recalled this dessert by Gordon Ramsay. Though I have no idea whether Elderflower Cordial is available in the States.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:16 pm

Gooseberry Chutney/Mustard - long ago made a chutney type sauce - onion, mustard, ginger, some hot pepper. Used it to accompany a pork tenderloin. Very tasty. Can't put my finger on the recipe. Would not do if you want to emphasize the taste of the fresh fruit.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:52 pm

Yoni M wrote:Hi Jenise,

If you haven't yet made a dish with gooseberries, I recalled this dessert by Gordon Ramsay. Though I have no idea whether Elderflower Cordial is available in the States.

Yoni, thanks. That's a great idea--I've never had gooseberries baked, though when I lived in England I was aware that some made gooseberry pies. Unfortunately, my quantity's too miniscule to make but one tiny serving of a crumble--or what Americans call a 'cobbler'...although, heck, it would be just my husband and I. Hmmm....

And Christina, just now you tempt me with the chutney idea--you must have peeked into my kitchen and seen the pork tenderloin unthawing.

So many great ideas, I wish I had more berries!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:59 pm

Two things

1) Make jam.
2) Make a crumble. As you say, they're a lot sweeter and less acidic than the green ones so don't add sugar...
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:37 am

Oh, oh, oh! With a teeny, tiny amount like you have Jenise you could stir them into some fresh, hot oatmeal or rice pudding.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Robert J. wrote:Oh, oh, oh! With a teeny, tiny amount like you have Jenise you could stir them into some fresh, hot oatmeal or rice pudding.

rwj

Okay, I haven't cooked at home but one night this week, and company arrives today. Therefore, haven't used the gooseberries yet, and have decided that their best use will be Yoni's suggestion, a crumble, for breakfast tomorrow, and I'll flesh it out with fresh peaches. Thanks everyone for your great ideas. Any that I didn't use will be put to good use next year on that year's larger crop.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:45 pm

Have you considered a berry pilaf?
And now what?