Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Swordfish

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

Swordfish

by Randy P » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:15 am

Got a wake up call from the cardiologist so I thought its time to eat a little healthier.

Garlic rosemary potatoes, corn, and swordfish with herb lemon pesto, delish.

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Swordfish

by Carrie L. » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Randy, your meal looks delicious and indulgent. Not at all what I usually picture for "low fat". :)
Swordfish is so versatile and always grills up so nicely. It's the first fish Len asks for when I'm heading to the fish market. We both wish it wasn't on the list of fish with high mercury levels...
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Carrie L. wrote: We both wish it wasn't on the list of fish with high mercury levels...

Or becoming endangered due to overfiching of the breeding stock. I like swordfish, but decided several years ago to forego it for that reason.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:58 pm

Randy P,

That dinner looks wonderful! Nice grill marks, too. I gave up eating Swordfish a few years ago (because of health concerns) but your post reminds me that I should make it at least once in a while because it is an excellent grilled fish. Would you be able to provide some details on the pesto? The consistency looks unique.

Thanks.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:48 pm

I used flat leaf parsley, thyme leaves, basil, garlic cloves, salt and pepper, capers, toasted pine nuts, and the juice of 1 lemon. Put them in a blender and added EVOO until I got the consistency I wanted. It really paired up nicely with the fish. -RP
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Carrie L. wrote: We both wish it wasn't on the list of fish with high mercury levels...

Or becoming endangered due to overfiching of the breeding stock. I like swordfish, but decided several years ago to forego it for that reason.

I forwent it for that reason and the mercury thing (which is very real.)
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:55 am

If you eat enough swordfish, though, you can easily tell what the ambient temperature is. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:02 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:

I forwent it for that reason and the mercury thing (which is very real.)

I'm with you on the overfishing point: both the size of the fish and the size of the catch have plunged to unsustainable levels. Of course, the same could be said for cod and many types of tuna... *sigh* Monterey Bay Aquarium's "Seafood Watch" page is very informative: http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/w ... ional.aspx

However, mercury levels in most fish are of serious concern to children, pregnant women and people who eat fish 3 or more times a week. The truth is that, in many parts of the country, there is more mercury present in the air that we breathe (courtesy of coal-fired power plants and combustion of industrial waste) than in the fish that we eat, and we do have an ability to detoxify a low level of heavy metals ingested (especially if you eat onion or garlic with the fish). Here is a good discussion of the risks associated with fish consumption, courtesy of the Australian gov't.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Or becoming endangered due to overfishing of the breeding stock. I like swordfish, but decided several years ago to forego it for that reason.

I feel bad us saying all this when Randy posted so beautifully--but me too and what a bunch of wet blankets we are. Frankly, I'm surprised there are any fish left that aren't endangered.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Jenise wrote: Frankly, I'm surprised there are any fish left that aren't endangered.

Really? Take a fishing trip in Northern Minnesota or Ontario, just for example. You will see that there are plenty of fish that are no where near endangered. But that is not the kind of story the media likes to cover.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:43 pm

Dave R wrote:
Jenise wrote: Frankly, I'm surprised there are any fish left that aren't endangered.

Really? Take a fishing trip in Northern Minnesota or Ontario, just for example. You will see that there are plenty of fish that are no where near endangered. But that is not the kind of story the media likes to cover.

But, for better or worse, freshwater fish account for a very small percentage of the fish sold for consumption in the US (I can't speak for other countries), especially once one gets past the salmonids, most of which are anadromous anyway. The media are rightly focused on what people eat, and one only has to look at the sad story of the Georges Bank to understand the gravity of the crisis facing our marine fisheries today.

Mark Lipton
(Who gladly catches and/or eats trout, walleye and bass)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:33 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I'm with you on the overfishing point: both the size of the fish and the size of the catch have plunged to unsustainable levels. Of course, the same could be said for cod and many types of tuna... *sigh* Monterey Bay Aquarium's "Seafood Watch" page is very informative: http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/w ... ional.aspx

Actually, swordfish levels in North Atlantic have rebounded to pretty close to max sustainable cap. Pacific isn't quite as strong, but not anywhere near unsustainable levels. If you read, the reason Monterey Bay lists imported swordfish on avoid list is that less careful longliners can do great damage to other species with bycatch.
One of the great strides in recent years is the increase in better origin labeling in seafood.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:16 pm

"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:39 pm

I still buy and eat swordfish.
I like to slice it about 1/2 inch thick, and grill it quickly over coals. When it comes off the grill, I douse it with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, and black pepper.
It's one of my favorite seafood dishes.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:16 pm

Dave R wrote:

Of course not. Because there's no story there.

Banner: Don't Worry California, Oregon, Maryland, Louisiana et.al ad.in, There Are Still Fish in Minnesota and Ontario!
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOxpPJYUTDM

Seeing Harpo on the briny reminds me that we both liked Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:10 pm

Dave R wrote:

Can you say that about marine fish?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
Dave R wrote:

Can you say that about marine fish?

No, and I never did claim that some ocean fish are not overly fished. If you read the thread again, Jenise stated that she was "surprised there are any fish left that aren't endangered." Hence my response.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:51 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
Dave R wrote:

Of course not. Because there's no story there.

Banner: Don't Worry California, Oregon, Maryland, Louisiana et.al ad.in, There Are Still Fish in Minnesota and Ontario!

LOL! I never claimed there was a lack of overfishing in one region, but simply provided one example of a region where fish are abundant and therefore no cause for people to think all fish are endangered.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:03 am

I did notice Jenise's "any," which I took as a rhetorical device. But if the media did cover the source of abundant fish, you might wish they hadn't. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:19 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Of course, the same could be said for cod and many types of tuna... *sigh*

I recently read "The Secret Life of Lobsters". The author contends that the reason we have relatively abundant lobster today is because we've over-fished the cod who typically eat lobster young. So, if there really is a tradeoff between lobster and cod... well, y'know....
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:29 pm

It's still not the numbers recorded in contemporary accounts when Europeans arrived. Lobsters were everywhere like cockroaches. There once were so many they were used as fertilizer and as cheap food for prisoners (who complained about lobster, lobster, lobster). I wonder if they'd like the green bologna sandwiches in Arizona jails.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:04 pm

It's a little tangential, but this thread made me think of an old article of Robin's. http://www.grass-roots.org/usa/earth.shtml

Not sure how the situation is today...

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:33 am

keeping swordfish moist can be a problem - esp if grilling. for grilling one needs to look for a piece that is not only very fresh; but also has a lot of the white stuff between the sections - this is the fat which as in marbeling in beef, etc. will help keep it moist. i lucked out last night and got a really nice piece that grilled up perfectly. another way, is to cook it 'en papillote' with some wine, butter, etc. this method always produces a moist product.
david creighton
Next