Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Swordfish

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Swordfish

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:Of course, the same could be said for cod and many types of tuna... *sigh*

I recently read "The Secret Life of Lobsters". The author contends that the reason we have relatively abundant lobster today is because we've over-fished the cod who typically eat lobster young. So, if there really is a tradeoff between lobster and cod... well, y'know....

De gustibus, Jeff. Cod to me is one of the true marvels of seafood, whereas even the best lobster to me takes a back seat to blue claw crabs and the better examples of Dungeness. I guess that I just have Plebian tastes.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Mark Lipton wrote: Cod to me is one of the true marvels of seafood, whereas even the best lobster to me takes a back seat to blue claw crabs and the better examples of Dungeness.

I agree on preferring crab to lobster. I also enjoy cod but if you really have a deep love for it all the better for your wallet, although depending on where you shop none of the really good stuff is cheap (except maybe blue fish).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Mark-- Cod is the commercially more-important of the two, historically and probably today. You've cheated in the conversation, however, by introducing a third choice! I seem to recall a previous survey about preferring shrimp, crab, or lobster...? Anyway, I, too, might pick certain splendid crabmeats, but they are not as easy to get as either lobster or shrimp.

Rahsaan-- Mussels are very good and still cheap. I like sardines, spanish mackerel, and other oily fishes, and they are not too expensive yet. (They get me on the wild salmon and the swordfish.)
Previous