Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Following up on the fresh egg thread awhile back

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Following up on the fresh egg thread awhile back

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:24 pm

Testing Eggs for Freshness

Since the South Beach Diet allows you to eat eggs in every Phase of the plan, it's not likely that they'll be sitting around for long. Nevertheless, it's useful to know whether your eggs are fresh.

Here's a handy way to tell: Place an egg at the bottom of a glass full of water and watch what happens:

* If the egg lies at the bottom on its side, it's fresh.
* If the egg sinks, but with one end up, it's getting old but is still edible.
* If the egg floats at all, you should buy some fresh ones.

This test is effective because eggshells are porous — over time they dry out, letting air in and moisture out. If you prefer using egg whites, then save some time and money by buying eggs in bulk and separating them right away. Egg whites freeze very well and can even be kept for up to three or four days, covered, in the refrigerator.

The "South Beach Diet" folks send out an interesting daily food related email once a day: dailydish@southbeachdiet.com

Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Following up on the fresh egg thread awhile back

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:27 pm

Bob, just for fun, you might be interested in an experience we had this past weekend: We went to one of our neighborhood farmers' markets and bought a box of fresh organic eggs from an older Mennonite gentleman with a farm in Southern Indiana. It was dated that morning. We had an omelet natur for dinner that night, my idea of the best possible showcase for excellent eggs with flavors touched only by fresh butter, salt and pepper. It was awesome ... I think I could have eaten the entire dozen if I had an omelet pan big enough.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:28 pm

My heart, Robin!!! When Janet and I had our little flock, I would check every day for eggs. Once in a while there would be two eggs, and we both had one. Nectar! Fresh eggs are really special. Thanks for sharing. Bob
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:00 am

I don't miss my ex, but I do miss the fresh eggs from the flock we had.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?