Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Favorite quick chicken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Favorite quick chicken

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:47 am

One of my favorite chicken meals (and it's quick)--which I had last night--is a sauteed chicken breast with mole sauce.

I always have a jar of mole base in my refrigerator. In a spoon or two of base, I stir in some chicken broth (and last night, a splash of tequila) and heat until it thickens. After the chicken is plated, I pour the mole across the breast and garnish with toasted pepitas. It's quite attractive and would make a good company dish.

Accompanying the chicken was some squash and purple potatoes that I grew.

Yum.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Favorite quick chicken

by Dave R » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:04 pm

I love chicken mole but usually only have it when dining out. I did not know there was a mole base but that would be nice. What's the brand? Where did you find it?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Dave R wrote:I love chicken mole but usually only have it when dining out. I did not know there was a mole base but that would be nice. What's the brand? Where did you find it?

Dave, if you have a decent Mexican grocery in town, you can usually find jars of canned mole paste. I greatly prefer making my own, though, which is a bit time consuming but rewards you with rich, aromatic flavors. It can be frozen for months/years, too. Side note: there are of course many different moles: although mole Poblano is far and away the most famous, Oaxaca is actually mole central and they come in many different colors (yellow, green, red, brown) there.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:42 pm

Note the keyword "quick" in my title.

I used Rogelio Bueno brand of mole base, but there are a number of brands out there. Here in Albuquerque, you can find it in regular supermarkets or Hispanic markets. It tastes fine, but you want to play with a couple of dozen ingredients all day making mole, go for it.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:16 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Note the keyword "quick" in my title.

I used Rogelio Bueno brand of mole base, but there are a number of brands out there. Here in Albuquerque, you can find it in regular supermarkets or Hispanic markets. It tastes fine, but you want to play with a couple of dozen ingredients all day making mole, go for it.

I agree, Larry. Making mole paste is a major investment of time. That's why I make mine in large quantity and freeze.

Makr Lipton
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:31 am

Dave R wrote:I love chicken mole but usually only have it when dining out. I did not know there was a mole base but that would be nice. What's the brand? Where did you find it?

Interesting. It's the one thing I *never* order out. I even discouraged a fella with whom I was dining at The Mansion on Turtle Creek from ordering it. He did. It was raw in the middle.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:23 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Interesting. It's the one thing I *never* order out. I even discouraged a fella with whom I was dining at The Mansion on Turtle Creek from ordering it. He did. It was raw in the middle.
Me too, except for Wings. Actually, I only seem to cook chicken 3 ways at home. Roast a whole chicken, Chicken Scallopine, which uses boneless, skinless breasts or I put leg quarters or thighs on the grill after marinating in Chiavetta's, all of which are quiite simple.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

P. Rousseau

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:23 pm

Waldmohr, Germany

by P. Rousseau » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Emphasis on quick here.... my kids like things simple

asst. chicken pieces into a gallon Ziploc bag, pour in a bottle of Italian dressing, close & leave to marinate in the fridge all day while at work.

Come home, heat up the coal & cook -- becareful you don't burn them with the oil drippings -- always comes out tender
Pete Rousseau
- simple ol' ex-military guy trying to learn about wine while traveling Europe
- Retired USAF, now working in Germany as a contractor
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:22 pm

Favorite quick chix: pound chix breasts. Place in container with fresh lemon juice,extra virgin olive oil
garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper...Let sit in fridge. Remove from marinade and grill.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:53 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Favorite quick chix: pound chix breasts. Place in container with fresh lemon juice,extra virgin olive oil
garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper...Let sit in fridge. Remove from marinade and grill.

Hey Barb, you are right on with this quick dish. How can one go wrong with these ingredients!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:57 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Barb Freda wrote:Favorite quick chix: pound chix breasts. Place in container with fresh lemon juice,extra virgin olive oil

Hey Barb, you are right on with this quick dish. How can one go wrong with these ingredients!

That is my favorite marinade for pork tenderloin, also. Haven't made it in awhile though because I can't find any tenderloins that have not already been "brined" or marinated. So frustrating.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)