Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Einstein is a moron.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Einstein is a moron.

by Thomas » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:25 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Get your prayer wheels spinning. In taxonomic honor of all this discussion, I just ate a toasted half-legab with blueberries, slathered with cream cheese and topped with green pepper jelly for a little bite. And I liked it, but of course I drew the curtains and locked the doors. :mrgreen:

As it was a legab and not a bagel, you needn't have locked the doors ;)

If it were a blueberry baguette, however, you would have had to leave town by now or call it a gabuette...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Get your prayer wheels spinning. In taxonomic honor of all this discussion, I just ate a toasted half-legab with blueberries, slathered with cream cheese and topped with green pepper jelly for a little bite. And I liked it, but of course I drew the curtains and locked the doors. :mrgreen:

Well, if you've got to toast the things, that's a serious problem to begin with, irrespective of the adulterants. Bagels, like any fresh bread product, should be scrumptious uncooked. A bit of cream cheese, some lox and there you go! :D

Keepin' it real in the 'hood,
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Well, if you've got to toast the things, that's a serious problem to begin with..

I agree. And yet another dagger to thrust in the British culinary culture that is filled with burnt toast (I smell it everywhere in the apartment building hallways while leaving for the office in the morning).
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm with Stuart and Thomas on this......... Show me something called a "bluberry bagel" and I will be looking at an abomination. And believe me, Dr. Johnson was wrong......the road to Hell was not paved with good intentions. It is paved with things called "blueberry bagels". Ye gods......almost as horrible as pizza with pineapple and coconut.

Ye faithful curmudgeon
Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:58 pm

Sounds tasty to me, Larry!
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:43 am

It was, in spite of people telling me how and what to eat. Maybe I'll be a rebel and toast another bagel this morning.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:49 am

Larry Greenly wrote:It was, in spite of people telling me how and what to eat. Maybe I'll be a rebel and toast another bagel this morning.

Stop it, Larry. No one is telling you how and what to eat--just what not to call it. Oh, that's right, you shouldn't be toasting a bagel, even a real one! ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:05 am

Thomas,
I will continue to call them Cinnamon Raisin bagels in hopes it annoys the hell out of you. As I'm originally from The Queens, I'm sure you can relate to the attitude. :D
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Redwinger wrote:Thomas,
I will continue to call them Cinnamon Raisin bagels in hopes it annoys the hell out of you. As I'm originally from The Queens, I'm sure you can relate to the attitude. :D

I wonder how many others caught the The Queens reference :shock:
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:33 pm

What's being overlooked here is the wide variation in quality among flavored bagels or "lagebs" or whatever you want to call them. They run from really delicious, dense, chewy versions to godawful white-bread-plus-fake-flavorings abominations that only exist to ruin cream cheese.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:49 pm

I'm an unapologetic bagel toaster! But draw the line on sweet-flavored bagels and agree with Rogov's paraphrase of Dr. Johnson.
Hmmm, let's see, will now look forward with anticipation to my Sunday morning breakfast of a toasted bagel with lox, cream cheese, onions and capers.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:30 pm

Shel T wrote:I'm an unapologetic bagel toaster! But draw the line on sweet-flavored bagels and agree with Rogov's paraphrase of Dr. Johnson.
Hmmm, let's see, will now look forward with anticipation to my Sunday morning breakfast of a toasted bagel with lox, cream cheese, onions and capers.

That's civilized, unlike some people who lean to sugar and the equivalent of a 2 buck chuck palate. :roll:
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:47 pm

A plain bagel is about 6 WW points, or 300 Calories, so they are a pleasure which I have more or less given up. But after all my years in New Jersey I'm on the side of the traditionalists, we get very good bagels here, and a good plain bagel with lox and a schmear needs no raisins and no cinnamon.

As a "German guy" I perked up at Stuart's question until I figured out what he was getting at. Still one must admit that both bagels and pretzels originated in that part of Europe. And one of the most interesting places I visited in Ulm the last time I was there was the bread museum. Evidently there are fossilized breads of some sort from 2000 years ago and the shapes are rather fantastic. It is a little hard to figure out how some of them would even be edible, since they seem to resemble a porcupine. Maybe that's how they survived for all these years??

I have cousins over there who still bake in what could be called the neolithic way. The thick stone wall of the barn has a cavity. You put burning wood in the cavity until it gets really really hot. Then you scrape out what's left of the embers and put in your loaves. Probably that technique is also about 2000 years old. The way German women cut their bread could be described as "auto-mastectomy." I have never seen anyone injure themselves but it always seems like an accident about to happen.

Wenn Sie deutsch lesen kann, hier gehen.

http://www.brotmuseum-ulm.de/

Frank
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Frank Deis wrote:
Wenn Sie deutsch lesen kann, hier gehen.

http://www.brotmuseum-ulm.de/

Frank

Und auf Englisch, man kann hier gehen und etwas lesen.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:13 am

Oy. Not again.
Redwinger, a good NY boy ought to know better.
Those blueberry rolls with holes you're eating might taste good, but they have nothing to do with bagelry.
Jeez, why don't you put some chocolate chips in 'em while you're at it?

Sadly, it is difficult to find a proper bagel, even in the old stomping grounds. All the guys who knew how to make them are dead, and everyone knows, dead men make no bagels.

Now excuse me while I go make a burrito, er, I mean wrap.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:16 am

Mark Lipton wrote: A bit of cream cheese,

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that term. Is it anything like a shmear?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:50 am

John Tomasso wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote: A bit of cream cheese,

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that term. Is it anything like a shmear?

Indeed it is. I was translating for the masses. I take nothing for granted when dealing with legab-eaters.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:07 am

I grew up working in my stepfather's Jewish bakery. We made bagels. One kind. Bagels.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:54 am

While we're on an authenticity trip, there's this cousin to the bagel called a bialy. Thank the Lord nobody's promulgating adulterated bialys - if you can even find them.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:37 am

Bernard Roth wrote:Thank the Lord nobody's promulgating adulterated bialys...

I wouldn't be so sure of that: http://www.nybagelsnbialys.com/flavors.html
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:19 am

That's awful.

Delighted to see that I can still count on John for a proper sense of outrage.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:35 am

Bernard Roth wrote:While we're on an authenticity trip, there's this cousin to the bagel called a bialy. Thank the Lord nobody's promulgating adulterated bialys - if you can even find them.

Every time I hear that word I think of Zero Mostel.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:36 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Bernard Roth wrote:Thank the Lord nobody's promulgating adulterated bialys...

I wouldn't be so sure of that: http://www.nybagelsnbialys.com/flavors.html

Where are the assassins when you need them?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Thomas wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Ok food snobs...cinnamon raisin bagels have been around for a long, long time. They are not some new sign of a food apocolypse.

Plain bagels are the most boring food on the planet after rice cakes. Give me an everything bagel, but in a pinch for brunch a cr is not a bad thing.

I don't know about that. Ever try cream cheese and lox smeared on a chocolate bagel? There's a reason for simplicity, David.

Well first off I hate cream cheese. Cannot stand the stuff.
Decisions are made by those who show up
PreviousNext