Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Einstein is a moron.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Re: Einstein is a moron.

by Greg H » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote: A bit of cream cheese,

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that term. Is it anything like a shmear?

Oh, you mean a schmear like these! :wink:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/bagelfuls/
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:Oh, you mean a schmear like these! :wink:

Good Lord. I guess it was only a matter of time.
I loved the FAQs on the website.

Where will bagelfuls be available?

How about in HELL?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:48 pm

John Tomasso wrote:

How about in HELL?

Did anyone notice they have a Cinnamon and brown sugar bagel-ful filled with cinnamon cream cheese.
Sounds delish. Those folks at Kraft certainly know how to cater to my pedestrian taste buds.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:50 pm

At the risk of giving away my political leanings, I've known for years why I feared and despised companies and think tanks such as Dow Chemicals and the Rand Corporation. At the risk of giving away my culinary snobbism, I have also known why I fear and hate Kraft. True, Kraft will never destroy the world but they certainly did not add much to our level of culture and civilization with creations such as processed American cheese, Easy Italia, Cool Whip and Kool Aid.

All is well. God will forgive them. God is far more generous than am I.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Well, I'm not crazy about lox. And especially for breakfast. So, I'll remain a rebel and eat bagels any way I want to.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:17 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Well first off I hate cream cheese. Cannot stand the stuff.

If you're not going to eat that cream cheese, can I have it? 8)

I'm pretty much in the ranks of the keep-it-simple, keep-it-original camp here myself, having discovered bagels as a wide-eyed kid from Kentucky in NYC and Borscht Belt towns like Monticello and Liberty (long story) back in the '60s. Nothing comes close, including probably most 21st Century NYC bagels.

But that said, I am definitely willing to make room in my bagel universe for onion bagels and poppyseed bagels. Wit' cream cheese.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Well first off I hate cream cheese. Cannot stand the stuff.

I'm pretty much in the ranks of the keep-it-simple, keep-it-original camp here myself, having discovered bagels as a wide-eyed kid from Kentucky in NYC and Borscht Belt towns like Monticello and Liberty (long story) back in the '60s. Nothing comes close, including probably most 21st Century NYC bagels.

But that said, I am definitely willing to make room in my bagel universe for onion bagels and poppyseed bagels. Wit' cream cheese.

Onion is a good possibility for inclusion in the bagel family but I don't think poppyseed would ever garner enough votes for confirmation.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:35 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Onion is a good possibility for inclusion in the bagel family but I don't think poppyseed would ever garner enough votes for confirmation.

If you're not going to eat that poppyseed bagel, can I have it? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:Onion is a good possibility for inclusion in the bagel family but I don't think poppyseed would ever garner enough votes for confirmation.

If you're not going to eat that poppyseed bagel, can I have it? :mrgreen:

Just don't eat too many if you're going to get your urine tested: several people have tested positive for opiates as a result (whoo hoo!). On a tangentially related note, one of the weirdest culinary experiences of my life was had while transiting through a train station in Munich. Stopping for a tea time pastry, I espied chocolate strudel in a display case, labelled "Mohnschnitte." I bought a piece, walked away and bit into it... only to get a major mouthful of poppyseeds and honey. Not a flavor I have any problem with, but a major shock to the system when one is expecting dark chocolate. After that initial shock, though, I ate the rest with pleasure. Not long afterward, I too moved to NYC and discovered poppyseed Hamantashen, which proved to be a popular teatime treat for me during my grad school years.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:24 pm

John Tomasso wrote:

How about in HELL?

Ok...that was hysterical John...I really did LOL!

Mark Lipton wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

If you're not going to eat that poppyseed bagel, can I have it?

Just don't eat too many if you're going to get your urine tested: several people have tested positive for opiates as a result (whoo hoo!).

Yeah Mark...a colleague of mine was randomly drug tested once...his test came back positive. He says to me, "well, it came back positive for Marijuana because I eat so many poppy seed bagels". I was like, "no Gary, if it ate too many poppy seed bagels, you would test positive for OPIUM...you tested positive for marijuana because of all the weed you smoke!" :lol:

Alright Stuart...I need to keep all these proper names straight now...something that is pizza-like but not a pizza is a "Pizziolatta" and something that is bagel-like, but not a bagel is a "Breadwheel". Got it...you should really start a food dictionary...LOL!

John - I am having a hard time finding good bagels here in NJ too...I used to be able to get great ones. I am also having the same issue with finding a great sub place. I could get the most amazing roast beef subs when I was younger. I can't find any now!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Why can't you just slice an onion and put in the bagel?

As for the poppy seeds, don't eat them and then take a drug test--unless you want out of the draft. Am I going back in time?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:12 pm

When we have company for breakfast (my son and his friends) sometimes I'll get an assortment, usually plain, poppy, and sesame.

I do like sesame bagels.

There was a Seinfeld episode in which Elaine kept failing her drug test...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shower ... ld_episode)

Frank
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:24 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Well, I'm not crazy about lox. And especially for breakfast. So, I'll remain a rebel and eat bagels any way I want to.

My preference remains peanut butter and honey, or blackberry jam, on my 'bagel'. :mrgreen:
My excuse is I'm NOT Jewish and I'm NOT a Yankee, so the bagel rules don't apply. :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

by Lou Kessler » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:Well, I'm not crazy about lox. And especially for breakfast. So, I'll remain a rebel and eat bagels any way I want to.

My preference remains peanut butter and honey, or blackberry jam, on my 'bagel'. :mrgreen:
My excuse is I'm NOT Jewish and I'm NOT a Yankee, so the bagel rules don't apply. :wink:

I never thought I would say this but we should have let the Confederacy secede from the Union. If you're not a Yankee you don't have a scintilla of good taste? How deplorable to think that way. :roll:
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:05 pm

South'ners had the good taste to not be born Yankees in the first place. That alone trumps all else. :mrgreen:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

by Lou Kessler » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:15 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:South'ners had the good taste to not be born Yankees in the first place. That alone trumps all else. :mrgreen:

My seconds will contact your seconds and we will settle this as gentlemen should. Scoundrel :evil: :twisted:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:My preference remains peanut butter and honey, or blackberry jam, on my 'bagel'.

Common problem where the bagel is mistreated as if it were the same ole plain ordinary sliced bread that people are accustomed to.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:27 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I espied chocolate strudel in a display case, labelled "Mohnschnitte." I bought a piece, walked away and bit into it... only to get a major mouthful of poppyseeds and honey. Not a flavor I have any problem with, but a major shock to the system when one is expecting dark chocolate..

That same poppyseed/chocolate shock has happened to me before and it was pretty funny.

Also, on our recent trip to Hungary I espied a vanilla custard eclair in a display case and happily bought one for our train journey. When the time came to eat said eclair, I bit into it to discover that the 'vanilla custard' filling was some sort of salty cheese which I was not prepared for and which I did not find delicious. I tried to calmly and discreetly remove it from my mouth and place it in the garbage but I think the whole train car was snickering at me the silly foreigner and my wife was certainly laughing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:45 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Just don't eat too many if you're going to get your urine tested: several people have tested positive for opiates as a result (whoo hoo!).

I don't do drugs AND I would never work for a company that required drug testing. It's not a matter of opiates, it's a matter of the kind of two-way respect that I require of any employer or client. Of course, that's easy for me to say since I own my own company. ;)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:49 am

Thomas wrote:Why can't you just slice an onion and put in the bagel?

Not the same thing, not the same thing at all. The onion topping must be dried onions, and they must be caramelized in the baking oven. Your question, reduced to the absurd, might be, "Why can't you just eat a mouthful of flour and yeast and chase it with a glass of hot water and call it a bagel?"

As for the poppy seeds, don't eat them and then take a drug test--unless you want out of the draft. Am I going back in time?

See above. I have never worked and would never work as an employee or a contractor for a company that so distrusts its employees as to subject them to drug testing ... even though I'm not a drug user. (Even in the USAF in the '60s, drug use was forbidden (HAHAHAHA) but drug testing was unknown.)
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:03 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:Why can't you just slice an onion and put in the bagel?

Not the same thing, not the same thing at all. The onion topping must be dried onions, and they must be caramelized in the baking oven. Your question, reduced to the absurd, might be, "Why can't you just eat a mouthful of flour and yeast and chase it with a glass of hot water and call it a bagel?"

See above. I have never worked and would never work as an employee or a contractor for a company that so distrusts its employees as to subject them to drug testing ... even though I'm not a drug user. (Even in the USAF in the '60s, drug use was forbidden (HAHAHAHA) but drug testing was unknown.)

Well then, re the onion: you aren't seeking a bagel to top with onions; it's an onion legab ;)

In the 60s in NYCity, we learned that you could possibly get out of the draft by claiming on the induction form that you used opiates. Then, they would test you, and if you had enough poppy seeds in your system--voila!

Quite often, however, the ruse didn't work--believe me; I know it didn't always work...sometimes, they kept you overnight on Governor's Island and waited for your withdrawal symptoms. If none came, you were reprimanded and inducted.

Another method was to swallow nutmeg in warm water on the way to the induction station. You'd be hallucinating while at your physical, and until the following day.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:50 am

Anyone for salted bagels? I love those.

My preferences, from most favorite, to least:

Plain
Sesame seed
Poppy Seed
Salted
Onion
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:55 am

John Tomasso wrote:Anyone for salted bagels? I love those.

My preferences, from most favorite, to least:

Plain
Sesame seed
Poppy Seed
Salted
Onion

What. no C-R?
Infidel!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:49 pm

Your question, reduced to the absurd, might be, "Why can't you just eat a mouthful of flour and yeast and chase it with a glass of hot water and call it a bagel?"

Given the crap that some people call "bagels," that can only be an improvement.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
PreviousNext