Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Einstein is a moron.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Einstein is a moron.

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Thomas wrote:Another method was to swallow nutmeg in warm water on the way to the induction station. You'd be hallucinating while at your physical, and until the following day.

Urban legend. Trust me on this. I tried (not to evade the draft, but for, er, scientific research). It's useless. Ditto the similar legend about banana peels.

As for the onion bagel, you can call it a legab if you wish, but unlike the latter-day sweet and fruit perversions, it has stood the test of time, even in NYC. And the Borscht Belt. (Although we're both either proving or challenging the conventional wisdom that if you can remember the '60s, you weren't there.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:28 pm

Just quickly back to the Cinnamon Raisin bagel - my first one was eaten in about 1972, so it's not all that new. Now the whole Blueberry and Chocolate Chip thing is a little weird, but...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 pm

my first one was eaten in about 1972, so it's not all that new.

Let's see, real bagels have been around for about 300 years. 1972 is not exactly ancient history. It's a perversion of an honorable name.

Enjoy your cinnamon-raisin bread wheels, just don't call 'em bagels.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:20 pm

Um, Robin? I would SO read the essay on your "experiment" with banana peels and nutmegs. That is BEGGING to be written.

b
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:00 pm

I like poppy seed bagels. I will indulge sesame on occasion. I dislike onion flavored bagels. It is a step away from bageldom because it changes the flavor. It also makes the bagel sort of slimy on the outside. Yuck! If you want onion, eat a bialy.

The right place for onion on a bagel is a slice of raw Bermuda onion on top of the lox.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:17 am

Barb Freda wrote:Um, Robin? I would SO read the essay on your "experiment" with banana peels and nutmegs. That is BEGGING to be written.

It was a long time ago, Barb! Just youthful curiosity ... ;)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:19 am

Bernard Roth wrote:I dislike onion flavored bagels. It is a step away from bageldom because it changes the flavor. It also makes the bagel sort of slimy on the outside.

I'll accept the flavor argument as a fair matter of personal preference. But slimy? If you're getting slimy onion bagels, you need to change bagelmongers.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:56 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:Another method was to swallow nutmeg in warm water on the way to the induction station. You'd be hallucinating while at your physical, and until the following day.

Urban legend. Trust me on this. I tried (not to evade the draft, but for, er, scientific research). It's useless. Ditto the similar legend about banana peels.

As for the onion bagel, you can call it a legab if you wish, but unlike the latter-day sweet and fruit perversions, it has stood the test of time, even in NYC. And the Borscht Belt. (Although we're both either proving or challenging the conventional wisdom that if you can remember the '60s, you weren't there.)

Not quite. Nutmeg is toxic (in large quantities) and is classified as a pseudohallucinogenic. Eat a huge amount and you'll get sick and hallucinate from being poisoned. (You didn't take enough...)
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:28 am

I dug around and found this excellent, but dated, discussion of bagels, just in time for an upcoming trip to NYC. I will have to visit some of these temples of bageldom in order to verify whether or not they still belong on the list.

Cinnamon raisin bagel eaters, prepare to be offended.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... ine&st=nyt
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:46 am

John Tomasso wrote:Cinnamon raisin bagel eaters, prepare to be offended.

John,
I think you might be the one offended. I googled a Murray's and Bagel Oasis both mentioned in the link and guess what? They offer Cinnamon Raisin, pumpernickel, chocolate chip, etc. bagels.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :P
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:15 pm

Ah but are they "natural" cinnamon raisin? Are the raisins spoofulated? Is the dough raised with commercial yeast? What about the cinnamon? Is it fair trade cinnamon? Remember that the intentions of the bagel maker are more important than if the bagel is enjoyable. A horridly tasteless, plain bagel is more honorable if it is made with indigenous yeast and flour made from wheat grown by a 94 year old man who has never left his family farm for even a day.

Oh, did I forget to mention that the wheat has to be dry-framed, organic, heritage grain? And only sea salt gathered from the high tide line in Malaysia is pure enough for a real bagel. :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Are we forgetting that bagels can be sprinkled over with coarse salt, sesame seeds or onions and still be true bagels but that bagels the dough of which has been mixed together with blueberries, raisins,caviar or any other such goodies are no less than an abomination in the eyes of the Lord, the gods, the demi-gods and even the nymphs. And believe me, although I might have some arguiments with the Lord", the gods and/or the demi-gods, I'm a sucker for those nymphs.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Leviticus

19:19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woolen come upon thee.
19:20 Thou shalt not let thy fruit and thy grain be mingled within the bread of the morning, nor shalt thou mingle strange spices, for it is an abomination unto the Lord.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:38 pm

Leviticus according to Yaniger???
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Unlike you, I am Chosen.

(where's the smiley that gives the raspberry?)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Leviticus

19:19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woolen come upon thee.
19:20 Thou shalt not let thy fruit and thy grain be mingled within the bread of the morning, nor shalt thou mingle strange spices, for it is an abomination unto the Lord.

Sounds like God wouldn't be too happy with genetic engineering! (Not to mention cotton/poly blends.) :D
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:05 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:(where's the smiley that gives the raspberry?)

I got your smiley right here!
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Redwinger wrote:
John Tomasso wrote:Cinnamon raisin bagel eaters, prepare to be offended.

John,
I think you might be the one offended. I googled a Murray's and Bagel Oasis both mentioned in the link and guess what? They offer Cinnamon Raisin, pumpernickel, chocolate chip, etc. bagels.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :P

I'm not offended in the least. They are running businesses, and must give the customers what they want. I'm never offended by the market.

I was thinking more of the following quote:
But I also had bagels so despicably bad the people responsible for baking them should be incarcerated. New York may be the nation's bagel capital, but street vendors selling rubbery steamed bagels abound, not to mention local McDonald's franchises selling bagels topped with egg, cheese and bacon. Even such Midwestern depredations as blueberry bagels have gained a stronghold in certain precincts of New York City.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:37 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Unlike you, I am Chosen.

You're Korean!? Who knew!

(where's the smiley that gives the raspberry?)

Colon-P ... :P ... but it's kind of hard to make out.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:45 am

I'm not interested in making out. You're just not my type.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Redwinger wrote:What. no C-R?
Infidel!

Côte-Rôtie with bagels? I knew you were a fool for Jamet, Bill, but I had no idea you took it to such extremes. Doesn't it clash with the peanut butter? :P

Mark Lipton

p.s. John, I do like salt bagels. <troll> They're the closest thing NYC has to a good Philly soft pretzel </troll>
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:46 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Redwinger wrote:What. no C-R?
Infidel!

Côte-Rôtie with bagels? I knew you were a fool for Jamet, Bill, but I had no idea you took it to such extremes. Doesn't it clash with the peanut butter? :P

Mark Lipton

p.s. John, I do like salt bagels. <troll> They're the closest thing NYC has to a good Philly soft pretzel </troll>

That pretzel never impressed me as much as I hear it is supposed to impress. What am I missing?

I'll nibble on my raisin/cinnamon/orange peel knish while I wait for your answer.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

But morning glory seeds were no urban legend, Robin, though you'd have to be a pretty desperate sort to seek your entertainment with them IMO. As I recall, the sales of the "heavenly blue" seeds saw a huge increase in the late '60s.

Mark "4F for life" Lipton
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

But morning glory seeds were no urban legend, Robin, though you'd have to be a pretty desperate sort to seek your entertainment with them IMO. As I recall, the sales of the "heavenly blue" seeds saw a huge increase in the late '60s.

Mark "4F for life" Lipton

Desperate? I confess. I did it only once, and I can state plainly that it is NOT an urban legend, but it tastes horrible and it doesn't feel much better than that--after the flights.
Thomas P
PreviousNext