Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pasta with green asparagus

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

RCP: Pasta with green asparagus

by Martin Barz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:55 pm

"Summertime and the living is easy........"

Pasta with green asparagus

Preparation
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: RCP: Pasta with green asparagus

by Christina Georgina » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Martin,

I enjoy your posts and elegant cite.

We rarely see white asparagus in the markets here and when we do it is nothing like
what I ate when in Beelitz during the season. We had spargle every meal for days.
In the US, the local green asparaugs season ends in July although it is now in the markets year around.

I frequently make pasta with seasonal vegetable sauces and your green asparagus pairing and saucing sounds wonderful. One aesthetic comment is that when I do veg sauces with pasta I try to make the shape of the veg and pasta complementary. If the spargle is extremely thin then a linguini or tonarelli works. If thicker then I would cut the pasta into short lengths and pair it with a shape like campanelle or farfalle. It is unsettling to me to have widely disparate shapes. Don't know if anyone else is as fanatical but certain shapes dictate they type of sauce and pasta just like the sauce dictates the type of cheese.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:55 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Martin,

I enjoy your posts and elegant cite.

We rarely see white asparagus in the markets here and when we do it is nothing like
what I ate when in Beelitz during the season. We had spargle every meal for days.
In the US, the local green asparaugs season ends in July although it is now in the markets year around.

I frequently make pasta with seasonal vegetable sauces and your green asparagus pairing and saucing sounds wonderful. One aesthetic comment is that when I do veg sauces with pasta I try to make the shape of the veg and pasta complementary. If the spargle is extremely thin then a linguini or tonarelli works. If thicker then I would cut the pasta into short lengths and pair it with a shape like campanelle or farfalle. It is unsettling to me to have widely disparate shapes. Don't know if anyone else is as fanatical but certain shapes dictate they type of sauce and pasta just like the sauce dictates the type of cheese.

Christina, I do the same. My favorite pasta for asparagus is penne with the asparagus cut on the diagonal. And I love to serve it with a good rich Sancerre--it's a seamless combination. I like the looks of Martin's recipe, though, including the use of pumpkin seeds.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

by Martin Barz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:57 pm

Christina,

you´re right, my pasta was not perfect for asparagus. Unfortunately I had no other choice, linguini, penne, farfalle or other small shape paste would be better.

I love Beelitz-asparagus! :D BTW, I used Mini-Thai-Asparagus, they have a nice strong flavor and they are so small that you don´t need to boil in water.

All the best,
Martin
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:33 pm

Martin,
Nice post! A local restaurant makes a very appealing pasta/asparagus/prosciutto/parmigiano dish in season that I like. Rather than Jenise's Sancerre (which, I expect, would be nice) I usually get an atypical Alto Adige Pinot Grigio that goes rather well with it.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

by Martin Barz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi Mark,

sounds great your dish! I strongly recommend you Pinot Grigio "St. Valentin" from the estate St. Michael Eppan from Alto Adige.
Also the Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc "St. Valentin" are gorgeous, one of the best white wines from Italy.

http://www.stmichael.it/

Cheers,
Martin
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:12 pm

Martin Barz wrote:Hi Mark,

sounds great your dish! I strongly recommend you Pinot Grigio "St. Valentin" from the estate St. Michael Eppan from Alto Adige.
Also the Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc "St. Valentin" are gorgeous, one of the best white wines from Italy.

http://www.stmichael.it/

Thanks for the tip, Martin. Even better, the wines are indeed imported to the US!

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:33 am

Martin, your recipe sounds (and looks) delicious!

This is a pasta with asparagus recipe that we enjoy a lot. The only changes I make are using only the lemon zest (no juice), adding a few drops of white truffle oil, and using Cipriani brand tagliarelli. I think the fresh shitakes make the dish. It's a great side dish for a nice light piece of fish.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/SPAGHETTI-WITH-ASPARAGUS-SHIITAKE-MUSHROOMS-LEMON-AND-CHIVES-234432
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)