Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mislabeling fish, rare or widespread?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Mislabeling fish, rare or widespread?

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:57 pm

My feeling is that it is more common a practice than consumers realize. Kudos to these students for their inquisitiveness!http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/science/22fish.html?em
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

Re: Mislabeling fish, rare or widespread?

by Shel T » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Not at all surprised to read this and good for them to think it up and pursue it. I'd like to think this opening the door up a crack will lead to a much larger investigation of the industry as this has been going on pretty much forever, and to my certain knowledge, rampant here in L.A. among various wholesalers and fishmongers.
I live near "sushi row", where there's probably at least 50 sushi joints in a 5 mile stretch and have often wondered what fish I was eating as opposed to what fish I thought I was eating!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:52 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:My feeling is that it is more common a practice than consumers realize. Kudos to these students for their inquisitiveness!http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/science/22fish.html?em

I agree. I'd love to see a complementary genetic test that can distinguish farm-raised from wild-caught fish and shellfish. My suspicion is that, like those '29 Petrus magnums, there's a heck of lot more wild-caught fish marketed than is ever caught.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Cool article. It doesn't surprise me a bit, though. Now, if that Louisa girl could just learn the proper way to eat nigiri they'd be doing fantastic.

rwj