Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spicy Cabbage Soup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Spicy Cabbage Soup

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:19 pm

My girlfriend bequeathed to me half a medium-sized head of cabbage which she did not use when she made her kalam polo (cabbage pilaf). What the !@#? am I supposed to do with half a head of cabbage? Well, this is what I did:

Spicy Cabbage Soup
Serves two (or just one fat guy like me)

Ingredients:
1 half head of (bequeathed) cabbage, shredded
2 cups V-8 or similar
1 slice of pickled jalapeño (more if your heat tolerance so dictates), diced fine including the seeds
1/4 red pepper, diced large
1 small Persian cucumber, diced large
1/4 tsp caraway seed
5 or 6 peppercorns
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste

Method:
Heat oil in a 1-1/2 to 2 quart pot and sauté jalapeño until oil is seasoned. (The jalapeño I used was definitely over 5,000 Scoville. It was hot and I ain't no wimp in this regard. Use as much or as little as you like. Heck, use a habanero.) Put everything else into pot and bring to a boil for a moment. Reduce heat to simmer and cover tightly. I like to put a damp dishcloth between the pot top and the pot to act as a seal which turns the whole thing into a makeshift pressure cooker. Let simmer on low for about two hours or until the cabbage is as tender as you like it.

I can see fooling with this and adding cumin or maybe an anchovy or two or maybe even some noodles. It was, however, damn good. Amazing what you can do with other folks' dinner debris.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Spicy Cabbage Soup

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:21 pm

It does sounds good, Gary.

What's a Persian cucumber? One that Zari brought over? :)
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:27 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:It does sounds good, Gary. What's a Persian cucumber? One that Zari brought over? :)

It was really quite yummy.

A Persian cucumber is just a small, cucumber which I can get cheap at Trader Joe's. It's just a fluke that the cucumber and my girlfriend are both Persian.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:32 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:My girlfriend bequeathed to me half a medium-sized head of cabbage which she did not use when she made her kalam polo (cabbage pilaf). What the !@#? am I supposed to do with half a head of cabbage? Well, this is what I did:

Spicy Cabbage Soup
Serves two (or just one fat guy like me)

Ingredients:
1 half head of (bequeathed) cabbage, shredded
2 cups V-8 or similar
1 slice of pickled jalapeño (more if your heat tolerance so dictates), diced fine including the seeds
1/4 red pepper, diced large
1 small Persian cucumber, diced large
1/4 tsp caraway seed
5 or 6 peppercorns
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste

Method:
Heat oil in a 1-1/2 to 2 quart pot and sauté jalapeño until oil is seasoned. (The jalapeño I used was definitely over 5,000 Scoville. It was hot and I ain't no wimp in this regard. Use as much or as little as you like. Heck, use a habanero.) Put everything else into pot and bring to a boil for a moment. Reduce heat to simmer and cover tightly. I like to put a damp dishcloth between the pot top and the pot to act as a seal which turns the whole thing into a makeshift pressure cooker. Let simmer on low for about two hours or until the cabbage is as tender as you like it.

I can see fooling with this and adding cumin or maybe an anchovy or two or maybe even some noodles. It was, however, damn good. Amazing what you can do with other folks' dinner debris.

Gary, I love cabbage any way it can be fixed, and this sounds great. Copied your recipe and will do it soon. YUM!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:39 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:My girlfriend bequeathed to me half a medium-sized head of cabbage which she did not use when she made her kalam polo (cabbage pilaf). What the !@#? am I supposed to do with half a head of cabbage? Well, this is what I did:

Gary, I love cabbage any way it can be fixed, and this sounds great. Copied your recipe and will do it soon. YUM!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:11 am

Bob Henrick wrote:

I hope you enjoy it and get back to me on any modifications you make. I kind of did this off the cuff.
And now what?