Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Poll: Fighting foods

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Poll: What food item is most likely to cause a violent argument - select only one

Bagels
No votes
Pizza
28%
Barbecue
48%
Deli
No votes
Other (write in)
24%

Total votes : 29
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Poll: Fighting foods

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:49 pm

Robert J. wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:Lentils don't sound so bad, now do they, when judged along noodles! 8)

Shut up, you punk.

rwj

P.s. You going dove hunting this weekend?

Nah, no place to go here. Anyway, too many crazy city-slickers with shotguns around here to feel safe. :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:42 am

Dave R wrote:What is the "Greek meat sauce" you keep mentioning as a part of Cincinnati chili?

Greek spaghetti sauce, Dave. Or I guess it could be Greek-American, for all I know. It was a popular item at every Greek restaurant in Astoria, largest Greek city in the world (except maybe Melbourne) outside of Greece. It's a thick ground-beef and tomato sauce with cinnamon and other aromatic spices, always served over spaghetti. And it's a dead ringer for Cincinnati chili (without the "five ways.")

It's a True Fact about post-WWII immigrants to Cincy from Greece (and Bulgaria) re-purposing their beef spaghetti sauce as "chili." You could look it up.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:34 am

Damn.

You guys are making me hungry for chili. I may just have to whump up a big pot, West Coast style (fairly spicy without beans and you have to talk to it nicely as it simmers)
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:54 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Dave R wrote:What is the "Greek meat sauce" you keep mentioning as a part of Cincinnati chili?

Greek spaghetti sauce, Dave. Or I guess it could be Greek-American, for all I know. It was a popular item at every Greek restaurant in Astoria, largest Greek city in the world (except maybe Melbourne) outside of Greece. It's a thick ground-beef and tomato sauce with cinnamon and other aromatic spices, always served over spaghetti. And it's a dead ringer for Cincinnati chili (without the "five ways.")

It's a True Fact about post-WWII immigrants to Cincy from Greece (and Bulgaria) re-purposing their beef spaghetti sauce as "chili." You could look it up.

Geez, no need to get all defensive, Robin! I was just asking what the "Greek meat sauce" was.

Now that you have described it, that may be what my family calls kokkinisto but we have never used ground beef or served it on pasta. But I'm not opposed to giving it a try sometime!
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:02 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Damn.

You guys are making me hungry for chili. I may just have to whump up a big pot, West Coast style (fairly spicy without beans and you have to talk to it nicely as it simmers)

Ordinarily, I'd agree, Bill, and cook up a pot to eat while watching college football. But with the temps hitting into the 90's F, no way do I want to heat up the house like that today! So I might just run out at halftime for some pulled pork BBQ. I actually found a place here that does a decent job iwth the pork.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:38 pm

Here's a link to a Greek meat sauce rec with cinnamon
http://greekfood.about.com/od/syrupssau ... _sauce.htm
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:39 pm

Shel T wrote:Here's a link to a Greek meat sauce rec with cinnamon
http://greekfood.about.com/od/syrupssau ... _sauce.htm

Thanks. Did you happen to read the review of the recipe? Sounds dreadful.
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:47 pm

LOL, have to admit it doesn't appeal to me, but can't think of a meat dish I like where cinnamon would be an ingredient.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Dave R wrote:Geez, no need to get all defensive, Robin! I was just asking what the "Greek meat sauce" was.

Errr ... where did I look defensive? I didn't intend any such thing ... just answering your question in detail. Did I say, "Dave, you dummy" or anything? ;)
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:15 pm

While I don't like the store bought stuff, ultimately, I grew to quite like MY chili (sorry. With beans.) over spaghetti and topped with cheddar...Louisville rubbed off on me..
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:01 pm

Dave R wrote:Thanks. Did you happen to read the review of the recipe? Sounds dreadful.

You've got to love sites that let peeps post negative reviews with anonymous monikers like "Bill318." As I read it I found myself wondering whether Bill should have laid the blame on the recipe or the cook.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Dave R wrote:Thanks. Did you happen to read the review of the recipe? Sounds dreadful.

You've got to love sites that let peeps post negative reviews with anonymous monikers like "Bill318." As I read it I found myself wondering whether Bill should have laid the blame on the recipe or the cook.

I'd say both. And that reminds me of why I was such a strong advocate (on the old FLDG) for people posting recipes they had actually tried and found were acceptable. But that fell on deaf ears.

I have a high level of confidence in the recipes that are tried and proven good by the people here, but do not trust a recipe posted on a place like about.com. The above recipe is a great example.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:06 pm

Dave R wrote:And that reminds me of why I was such a strong advocate (on the old FLDG) for people posting recipes they had actually tried and found were acceptable. But that fell on deaf ears.

I have a high level of confidence in the recipes that are tried and proven good by the people here, but do not trust a recipe posted on a place like about.com. The above recipe is a great example.

<nodding> I don't think we've ever set it as a firm rule, but I take it as understood that when a FLDG regular posts a recipe, it's one they've made, with the possible exception of a dinner-to-be posted for the specific purpose of recipe analysis.

I dislike firm rules, but I think this is a good general guide.
Previous