Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Haute Stuff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Haute Stuff

by Jenise » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:22 am

So this morning I get up at 6 a.m. to have an early conversation with my financial planner and while my tea is steeping, I am straightening up around the kitchen including the bags of fruit I broiught home yesterday from Youngstock's farm market and even though I am anything but hungry first-thing, the bag of sweet cherry peppers I bought yesterday at Youngstock's farm market somehow talked to me and I reached into the bag, extracted one, pulled out the stem, and popped it into my mouth.

And then almost called the Fire Department.

Sweet my ass! It's been an hour now and it is maybe just now safe to put some warm tea in my mouth without igniting the fire all over again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Haute Stuff

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:47 am

Ouch!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 am

Your ass will indeed remind you of this!

It reminds me of the padron peppers in Spain. They're pretty mild, but there was always one ringer in the bowl that would... surprise you.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Your ass will indeed remind you of this!

You know what you mentioned this, um, phenomena I guess years ago, and I was unfamiliar with it. I guess I'd never eaten anything quite that hot. But I'll have you know that two summers ago in Quongching, China, on a 115 degree day, alone with my thoughts in a little tiny room, I thought of you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 am

Jenise wrote:

You know what you mentioned this, um, phenomena I guess years ago, and I was unfamiliar with it. I guess I'd never eaten anything quite that hot. But I'll have you know that two summers ago in Quongching, China...

Jenise,
Every devoted chilihead knows this phenomenon all too well. Our mouths apparently can desensitize to capsaicin (the hot of chili peppers), but other tissue doesn't. That's also the reason that I wear gloves when cutting up habaneros or other hot peppers, a lesson learned only after several painful encounters with runny noses, itchy eyes and... in the bathroom.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:54 am

That's why you always eat an ice cream cone afterwards. Then, the next morning you will be heard yelling, "Come on, ice cream!"

It's also incredible when you take a sip of hot coffee after eating hot chiles. Quite an intensifier.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:09 pm

Thus my favorite chile descriptor: "So hot it'll burn you twice!"

I had some sort of obscure Mexican pepper a couple of years ago that I swear I could track through every inch of my alimentary tract. I will admit that the next day I cried like a little girl.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I will admit that the next day I cried like a little girl.

Because you wanted another? :shock:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:57 pm

S&M is not my thing. :mrgreen:

I must admit, though, I have a Thai curry recipe that these would work very well in.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Jenise wrote:

You know what you mentioned this, um, phenomena I guess years ago, and I was unfamiliar with it. I guess I'd never eaten anything quite that hot. But I'll have you know that two summers ago in Quongching, China, on a 115 degree day, in a little tiny room for one person at a time, I thought of you.

Jenise,
Every devoted chilihead knows this phenomenon all too well. Our mouths apparently can desensitize to capsaicin (the hot of chili peppers), but other tissue doesn't. That's also the reason that I wear gloves when cutting up habaneros or other hot peppers, a lesson learned only after several painful encounters with runny noses, itchy eyes and... in the bathroom.

Mark Lipton

I've done the eye thing a few times, and now I am extra careful.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Boy, oh boy, do I have good news for you. Anytime you eat a hot pepper and feel that you are suffering from it use the Mexican and Middle-Eastern "cure" - a slice of avocado. Chew that well and the mouth is fine. Oh yes....if avocado is not at hand, a slice of guava will do almost as well.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 pm

FYI a little known fact, that the morning after Johnny Cash was in a habanero face-off contest, that he wrote "Ring of Fire".
Nullum gratuitum prandium