Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

What's for dinner?

by Patti L » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:41 pm

I'm feeling uninspired and hoping to catch some inspiration from your dinner plans. Everything sounds good.
Patti
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: What's for dinner?

by Mark Lipton » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Jean is heading to the grocery store to see what looks good. The weather is so good right now that I'll fire up the smoker tonight and smoke or grill whatever she brings home.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Iowa

by Patti L » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:49 pm

The weather is good here as well. I think I'll grill too. Until the next post comes along. Then I'll have what they are having. :?
Patti
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Nothing fancy, pasta, Italian sausage, red sauce, spinach salad and Petite Syrah..
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:59 pm

Tomato salad to start. Cranberry beans and arugula in olive oil. Some sort of fritatta, don't know what, but I have some great eggs that are calling my name.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:14 pm

Tomato salad. Grilled wild salmon.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:16 pm

Considering that it is now a few minutes after 1 a.m., dinner has long been part of my body.

Grilled salmon with the 2004 Il Ducale of Ruffino. With that a spiced pumpkin puree, haricot beans in butter and garlic and a green salad following that and before several cheeses. With the cheeses (including a sweet Gorgonzola) a few sips of vishniak.

And now a wee dram of Armagnac with my nightly cigar.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Mac & Cheese made with Campanelle, English peas, and GDB Regnie ('06) to wash it down.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:31 pm

Louise is planning to saute flounder filet in panko crumbs. I just made a couple of avocados into a bowl of guacamole. Supper sounds a little confusing tonight but I could get out the tortillas and salsa (a kind with olives) and Mexicanize it.

She also had me buy vegetables for ratatouille at the Farm Market, so that's in the pipeline some time this weekend.

And if we get uninspired we can have leftovers of the Gulasz ? that I made from Splendid Soups. With a mixture of hot paprika, sweet paprika, and caraway seeds plus lots of beef cubes it's a bit like a Hungarian Chili. Hot and tasty.

Frank
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:39 pm

Ribs, mac and cheese with red scavina on top, and some to-be-determined vegetable. The ribs are from a 'controversial' recipe by OW Holmes on the old FLDG. Personally, I love them and they couldn't be easier to make.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:52 pm

Home alone... left overs from last night. Stuffed red peppers in a tomatoish braise and mashed Yukon Golds with a great fresh loaf of Asiago bread and a cheap, but good, Garnacha de Fuego.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Spent the day running around town with a friend to see "the new stores in Redding" had fish tacos at a hot local bistro that were fabulous. Dinner is one of my "go to" recipes that is fast. Ground turkey burgers, with tomato, lettuce and a hot pepper and cranberry sauce. A side dish of greens, steamed with garlic and chicken broth, and a drizzle of evoo and cranberry balsamic. Wine is a 2006 Shiraz, California Virgin Vines out of Mendocino, CA.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Patti L wrote:I'm feeling uninspired and hoping to catch some inspiration from your dinner plans. Everything sounds good.

Might be too late for you now, Patti, but I cut a couple of fresh sole fillets into bite-size squares and gently poached them in butter scented with lots of fresh tarragon and garlic, then put the result over bucatini.

It was most excellent with a little broccoli on the side, and a very decent Tablas Creek 2004 Cotes de Tablas Blanc.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Er..... dinner?

I've spent the entire day dealing with paperwork and bureaucracy, at work and then elsewhere since I left the office. I just poured a stiff drink. That may be dinner at this point. (Because it's too late to start pizza dough....... :wink: )
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:21 pm

That's sad, Princess. I hope you ended up eating something. In the event, Jean got some very nice sea scallops, so I pan seared them in butter and served with rice and late season corn on the cob. Smoked salmon on baguette was the hors d'oeuvre and with it all I opened a bottle of Muscadet, about which more will be written in the WLDG.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:46 pm

Booze alone does not a good supper make. Trust me on this - last night I attended a city council meeting wherein a resolution got passed enabling a new downtown stadium to be built for the minor league baseball team here. Afterwards about 30 or 40 of us supporters descended on a local pub, where for the next 2+ hours I had numerous pints of the pub's local ale, and very little else. I'm still feeling the effects... :oops: On the plus side however, I may have secured a hunting spot for me and Gail on some private land nearby. 8) Sometimes it DOES pay to hoist a few brews with the company's bigwigs.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:59 am

Roast chicken, baked potato, steamed broccoli and green beans. Very plain, and cooked by someone else. To be helped down with a nice clean riesling from Eden Valley, South Australia. (Heggies Vineyard.) The cook is also making noises about rhubarb crumble, but I don't think that is going to eventuate....

Matilda
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:31 am

TraciM wrote:Ribs, mac and cheese with red scavina on top, and some to-be-determined vegetable. The ribs are from a 'controversial' recipe by OW Holmes on the old FLDG. Personally, I love them and they couldn't be easier to make.

Traci, remind me. What's controversial about them?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:03 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Considering that it is now a few minutes after 1 a.m., dinner has long been part of my body.

Grilled salmon with the 2004 Il Ducale of Ruffino. With that a spiced pumpkin puree, haricot beans in butter and garlic and a green salad following that and before several cheeses. With the cheeses (including a sweet Gorgonzola) a few sips of vishniak.

And now a wee dram of Armagnac with my nightly cigar.

Best
Rogov

I love the Ducale Oro. It's one I order out a lot. I even found it on a wine list in Acapulco.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:29 am

Friday night was a catered surprise 30th birthday party for my oldest son, thrown by his bride. Good food - munchies, beef on weck, Italian sausage, boiled baby potatoes, salad and birthday cake. Wow - I can't believe I have a 30 year old son. :roll:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:18 am

Carrie L. wrote:
TraciM wrote:Ribs, mac and cheese with red scavina on top, and some to-be-determined vegetable. The ribs are from a 'controversial' recipe by OW Holmes on the old FLDG. Personally, I love them and they couldn't be easier to make.

Traci, remind me. What's controversial about them?

They are cooked in Coca Cola. So, it brought up the whole discussion of canned soups and other convenience items. Things that foodies "shouldn't" use. :roll: But like I said, I love them and they come out falling off the bone!
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Iowa

by Patti L » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:51 am

Thanks everyone for the input!

I went to the store and wandered aimlessly. I finally bought stuff for shrimp and scallops over linguine with a lemon cream sauce. I remembered I had an expresso rub that is delicious on pork, so I bought the pork tenderloin and the stuff for sauteed sweet potatoes, shallots, parsnips and turnips.

I got home, opened a bottle of wine, and had cheese, crackers and salami for dinner.

Go figure.
Patti
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:49 pm

Patti L wrote:I got home, opened a bottle of wine, and had cheese, crackers and salami for dinner.

:lol:

Sounds like something I would do, Patti. Friday nights and cooking just don't usually work for me. I am way too exhausted from the week.

Now Saturday... everyone knows that's Pizza Night!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:11 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Now Saturday... everyone knows that's Pizza Night!

Er ... I was planning on pork chops. Am I doing something wrong? :oops:
Next