Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Back in the saddle, back in the saddle....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Back in the saddle, back in the saddle....

by Jenise » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm

Still not all unpacked yet, but enough to plan a good menu for tonight:

Salad of mixed soft lettuces and herbs in lemon vinaigrette with hot, crusty goat cheese medallion; gruner veltliner
Wild Alaskan scallop ceviche with asparagus and white truffle vinaigrette; sauvignon blanc
Fresh wild steelhead trout coated in black pepper and fresh ginger served on celery root puree with cabernet reduction sauce; pinot noir
Strawberry and chocolate tart with walnut crust

Uh oh, I need some kind of a snacketizer too, don't I. Hmmmm....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Back in the saddle, back in the saddle....

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:04 pm

I love a great tart, Jenise. Can you post a recipe for this one? Thx.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Jenise wrote:cabernet reduction sauce; pinot noir....

Just curious why you don't use the same kind of wine? I understand that you might not want to serve cabernet with the trout. But then why not make the sauce with pinot noir? Evidently the cabernet adds something special/unique to the reduction or you would have said red wine reduction? But then that special cabernet character will go well with pinot noir?

Either way, sounds like a great dinner!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:06 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I love a great tart, Jenise. Can you post a recipe for this one? Thx.

Sure, tomorrow after I'm sure it works out well!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:cabernet reduction sauce; pinot noir....

Just curious why you don't use the same kind of wine? I understand that you might not want to serve cabernet with the trout. But then why not make the sauce with pinot noir? Evidently the cabernet adds something special/unique to the reduction or you would have said red wine reduction? But then that special cabernet character will go well with pinot noir?

Either way, sounds like a great dinner!

Good question, and there's more than one answer and none really pulls rank on the others. 1) I can buy a much higher quality cabernet to cook with for $16 than I can pinot noir, a very raspberry-flavored Washington cabernet in this case from Ch. Ste. Michelle will work extremely well, and I probably wouldn't use cabernet if I only had the black and blue type available to me and 2) I find the cabernet character in the sauce really talks to the pepper-ginger thing. All I can say is trust me, it works.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Jenise wrote:Still not all unpacked yet, but enough to plan a good menu for tonight:

Salad of mixed soft lettuces and herbs in lemon vinaigrette with hot, crusty goat cheese medallion; gruner veltliner
Wild Alaskan scallop ceviche with asparagus and white truffle vinaigrette; sauvignon blanc
Fresh wild steelhead trout coated in black pepper and fresh ginger served on celery root puree with cabernet reduction sauce; pinot noir

I will be right over!! Sounds amazing Jenise!!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:19 pm

Jenise wrote: 1) I can buy a much higher quality cabernet to cook with for $16 than I can pinot noir, a very raspberry-flavored Washington cabernet in this case from Ch. Ste. Michelle will work extremely well, and I probably wouldn't use cabernet if I only had the black and blue type available to me...

Good point. I was thinking Pauillac and Pessac but I can see how there are other cabernets out there that straddle variety lines with more 'fruit'.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:38 pm

Jenise wrote:Still not all unpacked yet, but enough to plan a good menu for tonight:

Okay, this is what I served:

Crab, green onion and sesame-chili salad on baked wonton crisps
The salad as above
The scallop ceviche as above
The steelhead as above
Parfaits of chocolate cream and fresh sliced strawberries in red jalapeno jelly with crumbled walnut cookie

Can you smell a disaster in that last item? You should! I mean, what I made was delicious and everybody loved it--the disaster part was why it wasn't the tarts.

God I hate baking.

The recipe (pulled off of Epicurious) was for one big 11" tart. A walnut crust that was very much like a biscotti dough (flour, sugar, egg yolks, walnuts and a pinch of salt) on the bottom, then a layer of strawberry jam, then a layer of chocolate cream, then whole lopped strawberries cut side down. I already had strawberries, and what I was attracted to here was the possibility of using these little individual tart pans I own four of and have never used. They have little baby removable bottoms and everything. The reviews by people who'd made the recipe varied, and after reading them all one could pretty much determine that if you had very very ripe summer berries you would love the result as-is, and if you had the kind of drier, early winter berry I had you'd find it a bit dry and needy. For the jam component I'd planned to use some raspberry freezer jam my friend Chris made, and I figured I'd thin a bit of it for double-duty as a glaze. In the meantime I made the crust and went to bake off the shells.

And burnt them. That's because the oven was set at 400, my all-purpose temperature where I'd baked the wanton skins at and forgot to turn it back down before the tart shells went in. The recipe called for 25 minutes at 375: Mine had only been in the oven 12-15 minutes, so I'm thinking 375 was probably too high anyway. But whatever, I had no tart shells and no time to make another batch. But I did have a small log of leftover dough that miraculously I'd not thrown out and instead put into the fridge thinking I might bake them off later as cookies. So I could do that, serve a small stem full of strawberries with a little cookie. Okay!

So I sliced that log into five little 1 1/2 inch wide by 1/2" tall wads of dough and put those into the oven. And boy did they come out ugly--that dough didn't BUDGE, didn't round out or fill in the crevices at ALL. They were beige pellets that had the look of something pooped out of some large factory extruder and baked on a conveyor belt. Livestock feed. Pig food.

At 5:55 with guests due any minute, I had an ulcer but no dessert.

So the last act of desperation was to go into the pantry to see if there was anything at all that suggested itself, and there I found a jar of red jalapeno jelly that someone had given me like two years ago. More southwestern than pacific rim as was the overall bent of the rest of my menu, but because I had started the meal with chile flavors, it suddenly sounded okay, good even, to toss the sliced berries with that so I went back to the kitchen to whip up a quick chocolate cream (thank god for microwaves) and set the bottom of the parfaits. The rest was layered in just before serving.

The result was actually so good I'd consider serving it again on purpose, but man, that's the kind of tension I don't like.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm glad it worked out well despite the drama. Welcome back to your kitchen!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Jenise wrote:So I sliced that log into five little 1 1/2 inch wide by 1/2" tall wads of dough and put those into the oven. And boy did they come out ugly--that dough didn't BUDGE, didn't round out or fill in the crevices at ALL. They were beige pellets that had the look of something pooped out of some large factory extruder and baked on a conveyor belt. Livestock feed. Pig food.

At 5:55 with guests due any minute, I had an ulcer but no dessert.
The result was actually so good I'd consider serving it again on purpose, but man, that's the kind of tension I don't like.]
[/quote]
Laugh My Ass Off.gif

You are a true professional, Jenise. At that point I would have pulled out the Pepperidge Farm and Haagan Daz! But the dinner sounds amazing. All remarkably wonderful, I'm sure. Congratulations on a job much appreciated. And, welcome back to your kitchen! :D
Jo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:58 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: At that point I would have pulled out the Pepperidge Farm and Haagan Daz!

If I'd had something like that around to pull out, believe me I would have done so. But I just don't keep sweets around. I'm not interested in sweets and Bob, who is, doesn't need the temptations! Normally as it should be, but not yesterday.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:08 pm

Jenise, let me offer you a good nut pastry that likes 400F:

PECAN PASTRY

3/4 cup pecans, finely ground
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
14 cup ice water

Place the pecans, flour, sugar, salt, and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Process briefly until the mixture is mealy. (Or do it with a pastry cutter... it just takes longer.)

Add the ice water. Process for 50 seconds, or until the dough forms a ball.

Wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour before using.

---

The dough is from a recipe for Peach and Pear Tarts in the cookbook "Favorite Meals from Williamsburg". The tarts are assembled this way: portion the dough into tart tins, fill with beans and bake 10 mins at 400F; cool, then fill with a rich vanilla custard (5 yolks, 2 c milk, 1/2 c sugar, 2 tbsp cornstarch, 1 tsp vanilla) and top with poached (or canned!) peach/pear halves, and glaze with apricot jam + sugar + kirsch.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks, Jeff, looks good. More nuts, less sugar--nothing here not to like.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I love a great tart, Jenise. Can you post a recipe for this one? Thx.

When I was single I did too!!
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:When I was single I did too!!

Tsk, tsk -- shame! :oops: