Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Squash blossoms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Squash blossoms

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:33 pm

With all the rain NM has been getting this summer, my back yard looks like something out of the Pacific Northwest.

I was trying to come up with an idea for breakfast this morning when I spied some squash blossoms on my luxuriant squash plant. I had to disturb the 20 mourning doves that I feed every morning, but I soon had several beautiful male squash blossoms.

Then it was bacon and a nice big omelet with squash blossoms, cheddar and blue cheese, sliced green onions, chopped fresh basil leaves, and a splash of salsa. Yum.

If you haven't tried squash blossoms, they're quite tasty. You can sometimes find them at specialty herb stores that supply restaurants if you don't grow your own.

The secret to growing squash in the NM region is not to plant the seeds until the fourth of July, which is past the squash bug egg-laying season. You get the same yield, albeit a bit time-shifted, without any pesky squash bugs.