Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What's cooking?

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Japanese eggplant from the garden, slant-cut and sautéed with onions, garlic, green peppers, a little diced tomato and a light miso-curry sauce, inspired by a dish at Louisville’s new Roots Heart & Soy restaurant. 

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Fiori fritti. Tonights version is stuffed with ricotta and a Georgian seasoning heavy on the fenugreek - Utskho Suneli. The same seasoning in the batter. Wonderful.
A few days ago, stuffed with minced monk fish, garlic, basil, ricotta. I'm a fiori fritti maniac these days....can't experiment enough !
It's a good thing that I fry NOTHING the rest of the year !!!!
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:47 pm

Buffalo burgers for dinner topped with a slice of d'Artagnan duck bacon and sharp NY cheddar. With some potatoes roasted with rosemary and Riesling on the side.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:43 am

Shrimp on the barbie. And a vegetable mix cooked in the perforated pan.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Spaghetti topped with a simple mushroom sauce and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. 

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Grilled rib eye steaks. Vegetable mix (mushroom, carrot, broccoli).

Barolo.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Pappardelle Pasta with an heirloom tomato sauce I made this morning. Salad consists of romaine hearts, palm hearts, celery hearts with leaves, pickled sweet banana pepper slices with mint and a lemon vinaigrette. I will finish baking a loaf of Pugliese Bread and spread some fresh garlic butter over the warm slices. Old Moon vino.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Savory sage corn cakes. I was so happy with them that I posted it separately as a RCP:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40697
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Tonight our neighborhood wine group is hosting our annual crab feed. I'm taking a pasta salad that will be full of bits of flaked king salmon that we smoked last week, chopped fresh rosemary and a honey-mustard vinaigrette. I'm also baking chocolate chip cookies to serve with port at the after-party I'm hosting!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Bison burgers cooked in a sauté of sweet onions, and a combination of sweet peppers and jalapeño. A touch of butter and Worcestershire for seasoning. On the side, a fresh grilled corn, cherry tomatoes, avocado, torpedo onions and sweet basil with champagne vinegar vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Parmesan crusted cod and fresh bay scallops with roasted chunks of butternut squash, red bell pepper and red onion.
My favorite salad of fresh baby arugula, dressing of lemon zest, a little juice, olive oil, sea salt, coarse black pepper and a tiny bit of sugar, tossed with parm-reggiano and raw walnuts.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Parmesan crusted cod and fresh bay scallops with roasted chunks of butternut squash, red bell pepper and red onion. (It was pretty. :))
My favorite salad of fresh baby arugula, dressing of lemon zest, a little juice, olive oil, sea salt, coarse black pepper and a tiny bit of sugar, tossed with parm-reggiano and raw walnuts.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:05 pm

"Lengua" enchiladas, and good ones, too. Did I mention that the "lengua" is made out of seitan? 

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Gene wanted a bbq roasted chicken that sits on its butt. We have a gadget that you can put wine/beer into the tube and fill with herbs. The chicken is placed over this tube and sits upright while cooking. Ours has a perforated circle that one can place potatoes, carrots, etc. To go along with the chicken, I prepared a mix of onion, garlic, sage, rosemary, Japanese eggplant, Tromboncino Squash, Chinese Long Beans. They will get a quick sauté, and then I'll throw in a little fresh lemon juice with homemade tomato sauce.
The sauté is just starting in this picture. I'll cook partially, and then finish tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Spaghetti topped with a simple mushroom sauce and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. 

I like the deep color of your sauce Robin, care to tell us how it got that way?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I like the deep color of your sauce Robin, care to tell us how it got that way?

No secrets, Bob. Lots of browned onions, mostly - the Maillard effect is your friend - along with natural mushroom juices concentrated by reduction. There may have been a tiny shot of ponzu in there as well, I don't remember for sure, but it would have added more umami than color.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Thai coconut-peanut green bean curry. 

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:44 pm

By myself tonight, so I thought I'd try out the savory corn cakes Robin posted. I went with a chili-lime version, leaving out the sage and adding a good dose of a chili powder I use for rubbing ribs and the zest from a lime. Served them with yogurt that had a good dose of lime juice added in. They came out beautifully, although I'd definitely go with sour cream or crema to top instead of the yogurt.

Thanks for that one, Robin!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:Thai coconut-peanut green bean curry.

Sort of a recipe, or a guide at least ...

Brown a bunch of thin-sliced onions and some finely diced green pepper and minced ginger and garlic; add peeled and chopped tomato, salt and black and red pepper and a little dab of Thai Red Curry Paste from a jar, gulp. Meanwhile, blanch green beans until crisp-tender while the onion-tomato mix simmers into a sauce. Drain the beans and blend them with the onion-tomato mix, pour in a smallish amount (1/2 cup?) of coconut milk and mix in a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter. Don't boil after this point but simmer gently until the flavors blend, and finish with a shot of ponzu and lime juice. Serve with steaming white rice.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Tonight: a tomato paella.

Hey, want to tell you all about last night's dinner: a number of us were grousing on Chowhound about the fact that nearly every good restaurant in town has closed down. That led one person to bravely invite the rest of us to dinner as a start to making our own dinner group for fine dining. So last night we dined with new friends Linda, Mike, Jessamyn and John, and there are two other couples who want to join us but couldn't last night. We're thinking we might do it the way a similarly-formed Vegetarian dinner group in town handles it: there are many members, and each month someone volunteers to host. That host then says they can take six or ten or name a number, and the first to sign up get the nod. I'm hosting next month.

Anyway, it was a lovely meal but more importantly dinner with kindred spirits with a depth of geeky culinary knowledge and hands-on experience that I'm not used to being around but absolutely delighted to find.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Our green beans are coming on strong  Today's harvest, Romanos, blanched and combined with stir-fried onions and green peppers, tomato, garlic and ginger in a lightly spicy sauce of white and brown miso, ponzu and lime.

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Jenise wrote:Vegetarian dinner group

But, what would you eat after the first three gatherings??? :?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Last night's dinner was chicken jambalaya with andouille sausage.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Do you ever get a craving for something...one that happens all of a sudden? Hamburger and noodles! Two days ago, I wanted hamburger (we use Bison) in a red sauce made with San Marzano tomatoes, onion, garlic, wine, and sweet peppers. So, I made the sauce this morning and will add the egg noodles later. Also, craving an array of tomatoes, lots of heirloom of different colors, and cherry types, marinated. :D
PreviousNext