Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What's cooking?

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Risotto with julienned snow peas and fennel with browned onion and garlic. 

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:22 am

Beautiful risotto, Robin!

We made chicken paprikash from the latest Saveur. It was a pretty simple recipe but it came out very nicely. Served it with a feta-laden polenta topped with sour cream from the same article. Good stuff for a gray day.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:01 am

gbad.jpg

Leek and Egg Pie.

Recipe here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:31 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Leek and Egg Pie.

Recipe here.

I not only could eat that, I believe I will eat that.

Leeks rock, but I'm thinking thin-sliced sweet onions would also be fine in this dish ...
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Cynthia, thanks for the recipe and the great pictures. I am a big fan of leeks, and try to always have a couple in the fridge. I think they give a special flavor to soups, or even the curry I made recently. A subtle umami flavor as well as the oniony fragrance. May have to try this out.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Robin and Frank, I think that onions might work. We happened to have some leeks from the CSA that needed using. Stuart set out to recreate a remembered dish/flavor profile from Chinatown in San Francisco and he believes he succeeded.

I wish I had been in the kitchen when he stared making the filling so I could have gotten photos of that process too. Ah well. And, of course, I never thought to take photos while I made the dough because it was literally finished in 15 seconds!
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Cyn,
I'm totally flabbergasted at your dough recipe. I always thought flour and water made paste. I'm anxious to try this out..could open new roads for me!

JB
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Szrove Tuesday: Too busy with school and work to make it to St. Matthew's for the youth group's Shrove Tuesday pancake supper, alas, so we made Szrove Saechwan-style green beans and peppers instead. :)

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 pm

JuliaB wrote:I'm totally flabbergasted at your dough recipe. I always thought flour and water made paste. I'm anxious to try this out..could open new roads for me!

The dumpling dough? It's amazingly easy and delicious! Impossible to mess it up.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Italian-inspired soup. Homemade veg stock, San Marzanos, kale, garbanzos, pasta. Simple, yet satisfying, with grilled extra sharp cheddar on homemade whole grain bread.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:47 am

JuliaB wrote:Cyn,
I'm totally flabbergasted at your dough recipe. I always thought flour and water made paste. I'm anxious to try this out..could open new roads for me!

JB

Julia, that is the standard-issue Chinese dumpling dough recipe for pot stickers and related dumplings (gyoza, with various spellings and pronunciations throughout east Asia). The hot water partially cooks the gluten in the flour and you get a very stretchy dough as a result.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 am

For tonight's supper, I made a variant of a risotto with pureed cauliflower that I posted here about a year ago. This time around, the pureed cauliflower was flavored with grated orange peel and a little anchovy paste, and there was parsley and parmesan stirred in at the end. It came out very nicely. I even got a "Thank you, that dinner was awesome" from a friend of my daughter's who had supper with us. This has been one of those weeks when pretty much nothing has gone well, so the positive review was much appreciated.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Yesterday's dinner was black beans with bacon, andouille sausage, and the Cajun holy trinity (celery, bell peppers, onions), seasoned with garlic, oregano, cumin, and cayenne pepper, served over rice.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:32 pm

I bought a fennel bulb the other day -- it looked nice and I rarely buy those. I thought it would be interesting to see what recipes looked good. I know you can slice it up raw in a crunchy salad but I wanted that sweet aroma in something cooked. Ended up making a "white bean fennel soup" which smells really Tuscan to me. Fry thin slice fennel and onion in olive oil (good smells already) then add tomatoes, Cannelini, bay leaf, thyme, and chicken broth. I added a sliced leek and a big clove of garlic. At the last minute add spinach. Instead of shredding big spinach leaves -- we had a bag of baby spinach that was not getting any younger so I just dumped in the whole leaves. Tasting as I go -- I added a little heat, just a touch, with some red pepper flakes, and some salt and ground black pepper.

I am thinking that a chiffonade of Swiss Chard would go beautifully but I am probably done screwing around with the recipe for now. It's delicious, that's enough. Subtle. Worth a try.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean ... etail.aspx
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 am

A variant (deviant?) lasagne: made with chunks of cooked chicken instead of beef/sausage, and made with thinly sliced parboiled potato instead of pasta. Kept the rest the same, e.g., cheeses, seasoning, sauce. Not bad but pasta is better. Live and learn.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Looks like home made spinach fettuccine and pesto along with some simple baked chicken for dinner tonight.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:A variant (deviant?) lasagne: made with chunks of cooked chicken instead of beef/sausage, and made with thinly sliced parboiled potato instead of pasta. Kept the rest the same, e.g., cheeses, seasoning, sauce. Not bad but pasta is better. Live and learn.

Kudos for breaking out of the mold, though.

For lunch we had a roasted beet salad. I took a picture of the mix of chiogga and red beets just before I rolled up the packet and sent it into the oven. I love the look of some raw foods; this is one.

IMG_3534.JPG

Also, made some personal-sized chicken pot pies in the cutest little All-Clad casseroles ever.

IMG_3523-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Jenise,
Curious about the roasted beets. Did you cut them before roasting because they were large and if so do you also peel them before roasting ? I've only roasted whole and peeled later. Just picked up a bunch of small-medium sized orange beets and can't wait to roast for a salad. Don't quite know what I'll do yet but I love beets of any color or stripe .
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:24 am

Christina Georgina wrote: Just picked up a bunch of small-medium sized orange beets and can't wait to roast for a salad. Don't quite know what I'll do yet but I love beets of any color or stripe .

This is one of my favorite recipes ever for roasted beets.

We had a cooking friend from Dallas over for an Asian-inspired dinner tonight. After a sitting-around-chatting-non-Asian course of gruyere savory scones and Kir Royale, we did a bunch of other courses: edamame and shiitake sauteed with soy sauce, mirin, and garlic served at room temp; five spice soup with mushrooms; steamed green tea dumplings with tofu and seaweed; fried dumplings with scallions and egg; Nepalese steamed golden dumplings with cabbage and cheese; a tiny amount of green tea ice cream. The dinner courses went extremely well with the dry Niagara my Dad makes for us.

I made all the the doughs from Andrea Nguyen's terrific book "Asian Dumplings." The fillings were created by my personal chef. And the dumplings were assembled by me and our guest. Loads of fun! We were just too full to eat the ginger cookies and fresh pineapple...
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:13 am

Last night, it was roast chicken flavored with a little ras-el-hanout served with mashed potatoes and a roasted trio of cauliflower, fennel wedges, and onion wedges. The veggies were done as per an Epicurious recipe in which they get sauteed in a hot pan for a few minutes prior to going into the oven. They came out beautifully, with a nice caramelization to them. I'll be doing that again.

Tonight, we had a little Oscar party with a friend and her daughter. I made the Upscale Tuna Noodle Casserole and we served that with sauteed chard with lemon. The food was great. The Oscars would have been better had the DVR not stopped recording right before they announced Best Picture!

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:55 am

Christina Georgina wrote:Jenise,
Curious about the roasted beets. Did you cut them before roasting because they were large and if so do you also peel them before roasting ? I've only roasted whole and peeled later. Just picked up a bunch of small-medium sized orange beets and can't wait to roast for a salad. Don't quite know what I'll do yet but I love beets of any color or stripe .

The red beets were billiard ball size, so large enough to have tough, thick skins which required peeling, where the chioggas were a very tender size smaller than a golf ball. That difference meant the red beets' skin had to go, but the chioggas were usable/edible as is, simply scraped under running water to clean them well. But yes I peeled (and cut into bite sized pieces) before roasting in this case because I wanted the olive oil, salt and rosemary seasoning to cook into the beets--the best ones were the ones that stuck to the bottom of the foil packet, browning and crisping a little because of their sugars--great flavor and texture. Loved the combination of the two different kinds--because of the greater sweetness Bob preferred the red beets, and because of the lesser sweetness and earthier flavor I preferred the chioggas.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Last night, it was roast chicken flavored with a little ras-el-hanout served with mashed potatoes and a roasted trio of cauliflower, fennel wedges, and onion wedges. The veggies were done as per an Epicurious recipe in which they get sauteed in a hot pan for a few minutes prior to going into the oven. They came out beautifully, with a nice caramelization to them. I'll be doing that again.

Tonight, we had a little Oscar party with a friend and her daughter. I made the Upscale Tuna Noodle Casserole and we served that with sauteed chard with lemon. The food was great. The Oscars would have been better had the DVR not stopped recording right before they announced Best Picture!

Love that tuna casserole!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:59 am

Had an old wine business friend of Stuart's over this evening. Simple menu since it was a weeknight. Mixed green salad with vinaigrette with homemade red wine vinegar, and homemade ciabatta; the balsamic glazed Brussels sprouts with pecans; mushroom risotto; fresh fruit. Wines were 2008 (I think) Cedric Bouchard In Florescence and 1991 Ogier Cote Rotie. None of it sucked. :D
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:18 pm

He must have bought a ton of that Ogier originally!
PreviousNext