Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What's cooking?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:36 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:... It was delicious! Of course, when you are really hungry, everything tastes so much better, don't you agree?

Karen, it sounds as if we're very much on the same page. And that wisdom about hunger and flavor goes back a long way, to Cervantes' Don Quixote, I believe: "The best sauce in the world is hunger." ("La mejor salsa del mundo es la hambre.")
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Marinated tri-tip on the grill, a stir-fry of broccoli, sugar snap peas, red bell peppers and assorted cherry tomatoes. I will finish it off with a drizzle of lemon juice and walnut oil. I am going to the Flour Mill this morning to buy grains and will make a decision on some sort of grain to make into a cold salad.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Braised oxtails with mustard greens and black-eyed peas. Yummy!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Using up some leftover spinach wraps to make a spicy burrito dinner. 

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Food's been pretty boring here the last few days! Had my teeth whitened on Thursday, and I've been on a bland-colored diet of non-staining foods washed down with white wine and green tea ever since. Will probably break the mold today with a red wine dinner.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Braised oxtails with mustard greens and black-eyed peas. Yummy!

Oh yeah! Yum!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:07 pm

Sort of channeled Robin last night and made an almost vegetarian dinner for myself while Len is out of town.
Sauteed califlower, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and.......slivered Proscuitto. Quite addictive.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Wild Pacific Salmon, marinated for an hour in pineapple juice, lemon juice, then rubbed with a mix of different powders which includes chile powder, cumin, lemon zest, cinnamon, brown sugar, then oven roasted. Fresh green beans steamed, and then tossed with caramelized onions, lemon and a bit of hazelnut oil. I'm trying a baked Arborio rice recipe, which has sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, onion, Romano, and garlic. I have had very good luck with a number of baked rice dishes lately and wanted to find one for Arborio rice. It smells divine and it is not even cooking yet.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Diced roasted beets and crisp cucumbers tossed with Capriole goat cheese to make a delicious summer salad. 

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Robin, last week, I had made some cabbage soup which was pretty good.

Then I had a root canal and the assistant was Ukrainian (I tried out my Russian) who said that in Ukraine, borscht is served hot.

I got hungry for borscht and bought some, ate it cold with my cabbage soup and mmm good.

But I =LOVE= roasted beets especially 1) babies and 2) golden!

I think I recently mentioned Thomas Keller's "cheese course" that involves red and gold beets with goat cheese. VERY similar to what you did!!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Love cooking this time of year. Have been keeping containers of roasted peppers; fried, marinated zucchini slabs; pickled beets; sauteed beet greens; pickled peaches in Indian spices; snap peas to make composed salads or as side veg to a roasted lamb chop or other grilled meat. Very quick and easy dinners this week as I am on call and very busy at work.
Next week I'll have time to do real meal prep. Thinking about ricotta gnocchi with a pea shoot and shelled pea sauce.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:48 pm

On the grill tonight will be Baby Back Pork Ribs with a Mustard-Bourbon Sauce. They were well rubbed yesterday with a home made spice concoction and rested in the fridge overnight.

Sides will be Israeli Couscous topped with oven roasted eggplant, colorful bell peppers, chunked red onions, then
drizzled with lemon vinaigrette.
Fresh corn, avocado, red onion and cherry tomato salad, with fresh basil and a champagne vinaigrette. Corn will be charred on the grill first, of course.

Dessert is Spumoni ice cream, with fresh blackberries.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Slow roasted a brisket yesterday for today's buffet (12 hrs -- it came out perfect). Today I've got a pork butt on the grill to make pulled pork later, along with my homemade barbequed chorizo and a grilled steelhead (requested by my sister). I'm trying to decide on sides. I would prefer a Mexican inspired rice salad, but my family is traditional and would prefer potato salad. If I make potato salad, I prefer sour cream potato salad, with chunks of celery, red onions and capers or dill pickles (or both). My family prefers the traditional mustard and boiled egg potato salad. Decisions, decisions!! Got carrot cake and caramel and chocolate chip brownies for dessert. My husband is already on his way to the grocery to pick up a half-gallon of vanilla ice cream. We will all over indulge!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Jo Ann, I would SOOOO eat that!
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Played a decent round of golf this morning then came home and fired up the smoker. Four racks of baby backs are in there. Will grill some corn as one side. Cole slaw already made as the other. Strawberry pie for dessert. Just need to find a nice Zinfandel now.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:50 pm

This slaw turned out great! I'm giving credit to the fresh green summer cabbage and sweet white onion sliced paper-thin, a little grated carrot and chopped Bubbie's bread-and-butter pickles, flavored with celery seed and light hits of cider vinegar, sugar and Hellman's mayo, kosher salt and fresh-ground Telicherry pepper, then chilled for an hour or so to let the flavors blend. 

no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Grilled a beef tenderloin with a few chilis and cayennes from the garden, along with an onion. Wifey made baked parmesan-crusted potatoes. Opened a zin to go with it.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Robin, that looks so good. We have Bubbie's B & B pickles out here too. I like Trader Joe's better....they are more like what Gene's mom used to make, and what I should make. Getting to lazy! Maybe it is the heat....whew!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:27 am

MikeH wrote:Played a decent round of golf this morning then came home and fired up the smoker. Four racks of baby backs are in there. Will grill some corn as one side. Cole slaw already made as the other. Strawberry pie for dessert. Just need to find a nice Zinfandel now.

Golf and BBQ. No better way to spend a holiday IMO! :)
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:51 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
MikeH wrote:Played a decent round of golf this morning then came home and fired up the smoker. Four racks of baby backs are in there. Will grill some corn as one side. Cole slaw already made as the other. Strawberry pie for dessert. Just need to find a nice Zinfandel now.

Golf and BBQ. No better way to spend a holiday IMO! :)

Agreed! Although could have used a little less heat on the course....90+ is a bit much.

Ribs120704.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:19 pm

MMm instant mouth-water!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:49 pm

We smoked ribs for the Fourth. FORTY POUNDS OF THEM!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Jenise wrote:We smoked ribs for the Fourth. FORTY POUNDS OF THEM!

Your smoker must be bigger than mine.......
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Jenise wrote:We smoked ribs for the Fourth. FORTY POUNDS OF THEM!

Forty pounds of ribs? How many people were you feeding? I so admire your willingness to entertain and cook such large amounts of food. I think my age is beginning to kick in, because the idea of it scares me to death. :oops:
PreviousNext