Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: What's cooking?

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:55 pm

We had our first blustery storm of the season today, so it's soup for supper. Potato soup with a good dose of pimenton, cumin, a little chipotle powder, and lots of corn. Store bought asiago focaccia to go with.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:We just got back from a weekend up in Bangor. On the way up Friday we stopped a Ted's Fried Clams and Bev had a haddock basket and I had a shrimp roll. That night we went to Captain Nick's in Bangor where Bav had a bowl of mussels and salad, and I had a "Mini Seafood Dinner" consisting of fish chower and an overstuffed lobster roll. On Satuday we had a so-so conference lunch, and a nice dinner at the Ground Round next to our motel; we decided to have some meat, so Bev had a Buffalo Chicken salad, and I have a half rack of Baby Backs. On the way home today we stopped at Ted's again (they are closing for the season next Sunday). We split a pint of Maine Shrimp, a pint of fries, and a large cole slaw. It's good to be home. Incidentally breakfast at the Ho-Jo's both mornings was also so-so.

Carl, Ted's sounds great! We are missing that New England seafood already. Sound like you had a great eating weekend!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:50 pm

The gang over at LouisvilleHotBytes.com is going out for dinner for 30 at Peking City Bistro, a relatively new Chinese restaurant with a Taiwanese chef who's famous in the local Chinese community, and they've put together a 10-course authentic Taiwanese banquet for us.

Here's an approximation of the menu, translated from the chef's handwritten Chinese by the hostess for our organizer:

Traditional Taiwanese ten course feast

cold plate-beef tongue,tofu,wine marinated chicken,smoked fish
seafood soup
shell on prawns two ways
tea smoked duck
a lobster and garlic dish
small fish cooked in bamboo steamer
fish and mushroom rolls
special Chinese mushrooms with vegetables
some sort of dim sum
fruit

Should be quite the experience!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:22 pm

chicken asada mixed with sautéed peppers, onions and garlic, on top of warmed olive, garlic and asiago focaccia. A green salad on the side with a vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:43 pm

For our first dinner at home after the weekend we had broiled lamb ribs with hot pepper jelley from a local purveyor; fried Japanese eggplant from the farmers' market, and our own Brandywine tomatoes sliced. Washed it down with Clockspring Amadodor Zin. Simply great!!!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Sambar last night. Hyderabadi fenugreek chicken tonight.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Green peppers from the garden, stuffed with a mix of local Dreamcatcher Farm ground lamb and bulghur.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:40 pm

After a weekend of mostly red meat and carbs in Alaska, I'm wanting something very light and soupy tonight so I'm going to poach (or stew, if you prefer that word, these will be long-cooked) chicken breasts and tons of celery (I love this combination) with herbs. The leg/thigh portions of the whole chicken I'm breaking down will go in a ziploc with half a bottle of tabasco sauce for roasting as tomorrow night's dinner.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 am

Fettuccini in pesto made with just about the last of our basil, Italian sausages, and salad including our own Summer Golds. Washed down with Gritty's Best Brown Ale.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:48 am

Tonight's dinner will be Thai pad kee mao (Drunkard's Noodles).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Smoked baby back ribs in a more savory sauce than summer, half of a Broule, and sliced tomatoes (ours). Washed down with a bottle of Gritty's Best Brown Ale. Yes, we're still smokin and grillin here!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:11 am

Paul and Karl, you're hurting me, you're both talking about flavors I'm craving. Yesterday I wanted spicy Asian and seafood, so I put together a dinner plate that held a salad of watercress, sliced mushrooms, bamboo, fresno chiles and cilantro, three fried shrimp dipped in habanero sauce and five scallops dredged in rice flour seasoned with madras curry (a Ming Tsai idea). I would kill to have more of those shrimp for breakfast, but the scallops were a disappointment (rice flour--not a good idea). So after dinner I looked for something to get out of the freezer (too crowded, must work it down rather than buy anything) and found a ziploc what I thought were two half racks of baby back ribs. This morning, already looking forward to tonight's ribs, I looked more closely at the bag and discovered that it held pork belly. DANG.

Paul, your dish. It's called 'drunkard' why?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:58 am

"Drunkards noodles" is the literal translation of the dish's Thai name "kee mao" (pad means "stir-fried"). The etymology seems to be obscure. To quote the late Ian Khuntilanont-Philpott on the subject:

There are a number of line of thought about ki mao dishes in Thailand.
They are widely served as bar snacks, in much the same way that Spanish
bars serve tapas (and serve to make you thirsty, when used for this
purpose). Other dishes described in this way are eaten as a stomach
liner before embarking on a serious nights drinking. Other such dishes
are served by the patient wife of the wandering husband who cralws back
hung over in the middle of the night only to realise that he has to get
up for work before 5 the following morning!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Last night at Ted's Clams till March. We had lobster rolls, fries, and cole slaw. Sigh!
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:33 pm

Spaghetti and meatballs.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:21 am

Picked up this beautiful 4 lb Red Snapper yesterday at Costco and am going to grill somehow tonight....Recipe anyone?

Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Drew Hall wrote:Picked up this beautiful 4 lb Red Snapper yesterday at Costco and am going to grill somehow tonight....Recipe anyone?

Drew

Wow, whole fish at Costco? I suppose I've seen salmon that way there but never any other fish. Interestingly different options in different parts of the country, aren't there?

I've never cooked red snapper, and most of what I've eaten has been raw at sushi restaurants, so I don't have any immediate reccomendations for you, but from afar I've gathered that it's a good blank canvas of a fish that adapts well to a variety of lively sauces/toppings. I once had it in Mexico topped with a saute of tomatoes and olives. Very nice!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Local grass-fed Dreamcatcher Farm lamb burgers and fresh broccoli. Wine: Whole Foods "365" branded Chianti ... curious what quality of generic Chianti they've put in the bottle.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Plenty this weekend.

Duck confit, bacon-wrapped jerk marinated tenderloin, wild boar roast, potatoes roasted in duck fat and saffron/cardamom infused flan on Thursday night.
Pheasant (pan seared with a little brown sugar, black pepper and thyme, then finished in the oven) on Friday.
Stir fried plantains and kidney bean curry tonight.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Beef stew in the slow cooker, made with chuck roast (1" dice, floured and browned), Yukon Gold taters, onion, crimini shrooms, tri-color bell peppers, beef stock and red wine. Just trying to decide which wine to have with it.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:33 pm

We were going to grill tonight, but there was some moisture of some sort coming down. So we broiled the tenderloin steaks in rasher, heaped them with nuked onions in EVOO; and enjoyed them with baked Delacata squash, and sliced Brandywine tomato that had ripened inside. Washed it all down with Knapp Merlot.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Tonight we are having a vegetable soup. Onions, garlic, celery, rainbow swiss chard, carrots, zucchini, sweet peppers, fire roasted tomatoes, home made chicken stock, parmesan rinds (for extra flavor) sweet basil, parsley, pearl barley, served over lightly toasted and garlic rubbed rustic bread, and shaved parmesan Yum!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Tonight we are having a vegetable soup. Onions, garlic, celery, rainbow swiss chard, carrots, zucchini, sweet peppers, fire roasted tomatoes, home made chicken stock, parmesan rinds (for extra flavor) sweet basil, parsley, pearl barley, served over lightly toasted and garlic rubbed rustic bread, and shaved parmesan Yum!

Boy does that sound like just what I'm hungry for. Alas, hubby's out so I'm gnoshing on leftovers.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:51 am

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Tonight we are having a vegetable soup. Onions, garlic, celery, rainbow swiss chard, carrots, zucchini, sweet peppers, fire roasted tomatoes, home made chicken stock, parmesan rinds (for extra flavor) sweet basil, parsley, pearl barley, served over lightly toasted and garlic rubbed rustic bread, and shaved parmesan Yum!

Boy does that sound like just what I'm hungry for. Alas, hubby's out so I'm gnoshing on leftovers.

Sounds great! So I'm making pasta fazool for tonight's meal.

Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PreviousNext