Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wheat germ- good stuff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Wheat germ- good stuff

by Ed Draves » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:11 am

I bought a bag of wheat germ for a bread machine recipe. The recipe only required a couple of tablespoons and that barely dented the bag. The side of the bag reccomended it as a yogert topping- I tried it and loved it. I tried it on a tuna sandwich (have no idea why) and loved it. I'm now a germ maniac with it (I want to try it on pizza). Anyone have any recipes or uses for it? Any drawbacks to it? I love the flavor!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Wheat germ- good stuff

by Larry Greenly » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:14 am

I frequently add wheat germ to my bread recipes. I use the raw type; the toasted wheat germ can go rancid more quickly. So use it up asap and store in refrigerator.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:35 am

Thanks for the quick reply- I guess I should not be afraid to experement, if I have to use it up quick anyway. I plan on making a loaf of white bread tonite- perhaps I'll subtract a couple of tblsps of flour and add some germ then see how I like it.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:14 pm

Yogurt, wheat germ a little honey. Mmmmmmm
One of my favorite quick breakfasts.

We also use it a lot in breads. My wife's grandmother, who lived to 102, by the way, swore it was the cure for anything.
Howard