Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Braised Tuscan Chicken w/Porcini Mushrooms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Braised Tuscan Chicken w/Porcini Mushrooms

by Jenise » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:55 pm

A repost from FDLG Classic:

Date: 04-Nov-2001 17:08
Author: Jenise
Subject: RC: Tuscan Braised Chicken with Porcini Mushrooms

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had been craving this dish for the longest time, but I had been out of porcini mushrooms. I finally bought some yesterday (I think I'll start another thread about that).

This is one of my all-time favorite dishes, rustic and satisfying and so darned simple it would be easy to dismiss it as too much so just on reading the brief ingredients list. This dish is really about the beautiful thing that happens when these particular flavors combine during long, slow cooking.

Do not consider substituting other mushrooms, by the way. No other mushroom has the same flavor of porcini and though other types of mushrooms would produce a tasty dish, it won't be THIS dish without porcini.

I served the chicken on orzo simply dressed with parmesan and butter, but my usual preference is for crispy pan-fried polenta cakes lightly specked with gorgonzola and parsley.

Serves four.

1 chicken, quartered
2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 celery rib, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1/4 c Olive Oil

In a Dutch oven or large saute pan big enough for all four chicken pieces to rest comfortably on the bottom, soften the carrot, celery and onion in olive oil. Remove vegetables and reserve, then add chicken pieces. When the chicken has browned, pour off the chicken fat, then cover the chicken with the cooked vegetables, tomatoes, garlic and mushrooms. Cover and simmer for 1.5 hours. When the chicken is done, remove the chicken from the pan and use an immersion blender to lightly puree the remaining sauce.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Braised Tuscan Chicken w/Porcini Mushrooms

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Was this the one that led you to discover your allergy to raw porcini?

BTW, I can't remember if I've made that one or not but it sounds great.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:58 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Was this the one that led you to discover your allergy to raw porcini?

BTW, I can't remember if I've made that one or not but it sounds great.

Well, just buying porcini did that. Had purchased some, had them in the car with me, nibbled something the size of a baby's finger nail off the edge of one, got VERY sick. Did that again a year or so later, got even sicker. This dish is involved in that it's the reason I know that after long cooking, whatever's so toxic cooks out. Thank god.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Just made this tonight. Actually just finished eating it. :mrgreen:

Made it almost exactly per your recipe. Had a package of thighs I had to use instead of the whole bird.

Damn! I'd say that is OMG good.

Just want to say thanks for the recipe. It's filed away with the keepers.

Also roasted a complete head of cauliflower ala Ruhlman:

http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/roasted-cauliflower/

Unfortunately I didn't have an offset basting spoon. It still came out great. Fancy that.

Also OMG good.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Well just imagine how fantastic that cauliflower would have been if you HAD used an offset basting spoon!

:wink:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:05 pm

I have retreated from dried porcini dishes since the flavor of what I can find is so, well, off. At first I thought my taste buds were off but after trying several different cellophane bagged brands I realized that they just are not like they used to be.
I spent time with Italian relatives in Tuscany this summer who are avid porcini gatherers and came back with long, flat, thin slices of beautiful, smooth, light taupe colored dried porcini with a heavenly nose. The local grocery ones now smell perfectly awful by comparison. My cousin indicates that what I took home would not be considered first quality as they only dry the "seconds".
I'm hoarding them and squeeze the bag under my nose every time I open the cupboard !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:32 am

Christina Georgina wrote:I have retreated from dried porcini dishes since the flavor of what I can find is so, well, off. At first I thought my taste buds were off but after trying several different cellophane bagged brands I realized that they just are not like they used to be.
I spent time with Italian relatives in Tuscany this summer who are avid porcini gatherers and came back with long, flat, thin slices of beautiful, smooth, light taupe colored dried porcini with a heavenly nose. The local grocery ones now smell perfectly awful by comparison. My cousin indicates that what I took home would not be considered first quality as they only dry the "seconds".
I'm hoarding them and squeeze the bag under my nose every time I open the cupboard !

I got mine at Whole Foods from a bulk bin at the cheese counter and was assured they were from the USA, unlike the pre-bagged ones which were from China. I can't imagine hand carrying the real deal home from Tuscany!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Fred, thanks for the report! Glad you enjoyed it--and that you got good mushrooms. Wish I could find some like the ones I used to buy--I'm with Christina, I've not been happy. The Italian ones I used to get were almost black (unsulfured) and enormously intense. Just a few little squiggly pieces would make a huge difference. Now, a handful of the best I've been able to buy only contributes a percentage of that porcini taste. I don't understand the difference, other than the sulfur used to preserve color. Does that also take away flavor? If it does, believe me, the trade's so not worth it.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:11 am

With your name in the by-line, Jenise, I just e-mailed this RCP to Liz and look forward to trying it.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Sounds delicious....have Porcini powder on hand......will make it next week..................Bettylu Kessler
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:00 am

Jenise, that dish sounds divine. I will try it soon. To me, a pile of soft polenta with parmesan cheese and a hint of cream sounds like a good base.
I/we love porcini and I use them a lot. I agree with Christina too. The quality has been sub par lately. The pieces once they are rehydrated don't even look like mushrooms. Lots of the chunks are woody, so I'm thinking they are using mostly stems. Coincidentally, I just returned from Italy where I bought a package of them for a foodie friend I was visiting the following week. (I was putting a hostess basket together for her.) Now I wish I had gotten a few extra packages for us! (Luggage space would have been a problem though!)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Sounds delicious....have Porcini powder on hand......will make it next week..................Bettylu Kessler

Bettylu, what is your take on using mushroom powder in lieu of dried mushrooms? I can see that the powder is easy storage, but then dried is fairly easy too. I am thinking that the powder is probably cheaper than either the fresh or the dried shrooms. Do you use powder often? if so, what is your rule regarding measuring the powder? Is one teaspoon equal to perhaps one average dried shroom? I am directing these questions to you but anyone on the board with an answer I hope will chime in. Thanks all.

BTW, we don't see enough of you around here!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Well, you found me out.............I get on line under Lou's name. Anyway, I use the powder to enhance the flavors. but will also use either the dried and/or fresh porchini in this recipe. The powder I'll start with about a Tbls, and taste, and repeat until it tastes right......Bl Kessler
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Good plan, BettyLu, as the porcinis we get nowadays don't have the power of what I was using when I wrote this recipe--as you've no doubt concluded from Christina and me grousing about it. :)
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Looks great.

Foraged and Found Edibles is a pretty good source of domestic dried porcinis. I think that they are currently out of stock, but give them a month or a little more and they should be available. Mushroom season is just getting underway here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Lee, you reccomended them before? I checked with them then, and they were out then too. I'd be very interested in trying a local version, though perhaps oddly I'm not hopeful of getting the intensity of the Italian imports I am moaning the loss of.
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

WA USA

by Lee Short » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Jenise wrote:Lee, you reccomended them before? I checked with them then, and they were out then too. I'd be very interested in trying a local version, though perhaps oddly I'm not hopeful of getting the intensity of the Italian imports I am moaning the loss of.

Could easily be that I recommended them before. I'd be happy to grab some for you when I see them, if you'd like.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:39 am

That would be great, Lee, thanks!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:54 am

I made this last night. It is delicious, and so easy to prepare. This one goes in the regular meal rotation.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:47 pm

I've used dried mushrooms very litte, but I have always had to hydrate them prior to using. I'm assuming that the 90 minutes cooking time takes care of this step?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Yes--the 90 minute simmer gives the mushrooms plenty of time to rehydrate. No need to soak them first.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Yes--the 90 minute simmer gives the mushrooms plenty of time to rehydrate. No need to soak them first.

-Paul W.

Thanks
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:35 pm

This sounds wonderfully easy and flavorful! One of the reasons I soak dried porcini is to be able to remove the grit from the mushrooms. By not pre-soaking and directly cooking them in the sauce, has anyone come across a bit of grit in their dish as a result? That might be one of the advantages of using porcini powder (or porcini boullion cubes), possibly? cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

WA USA

by Lee Short » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:04 pm

I take it there's no pre-soak of the mushrooms for this recipe?
Next