Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dinner tickets instead of reservations?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Dinner tickets instead of reservations?

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote: And, I am not convinced that $45-75 for a 5-course meal is all you would pay to eat at this restaurant. This is just the admission fee, if it is the spectacle that some believe. The rest of the cost will be presented to you at the conclusion of the meal.

But Mr. Achatz (snip) hopes that people won’t be irritated once they enjoy the convenience of a meal with no decisions to be made and no check to be signed. “There’s no transactions in the restaurant at all,” he said. “So you can literally come in, sit down, start your experience, and when you’re done, you just get up and leave.”

Wine pairings are also prepaid.

I just can't think of anywhere other than restaurants where one party makes a reservation, and doesn't need to put out cash. Wait, I guess car rentals would be only one. Which is why we've all had irritating things like long waits for our reservations, because restaurant overbooked to guard against cancels. That doesn't happen at plays, baseball games, or the opera, because you have a ticket, not a reservation.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote: And, I am not convinced that $45-75 for a 5-course meal is all you would pay to eat at this restaurant. This is just the admission fee, if it is the spectacle that some believe. The rest of the cost will be presented to you at the conclusion of the meal.

But Mr. Achatz (snip) hopes that people won’t be irritated once they enjoy the convenience of a meal with no decisions to be made and no check to be signed. “There’s no transactions in the restaurant at all,” he said. “So you can literally come in, sit down, start your experience, and when you’re done, you just get up and leave.”

If there are no transactions, how is the tip handled?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:40 pm

As Mark noted, service compris
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:02 pm

Dale Williams wrote:As Mark noted, service compris

Really?! All for max $75 -- for an upscale restaurant that people are lined up to get into?! I dunno. If something sounds too good to be true.... :?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mark Hargrove

Rank

Just got here

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:18 pm

by Mark Hargrove » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Rather than believing an article in a provincial publication, perhaps one should go to the source.

http://nextrestaurant.com/faq.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re:

by Jenise » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Mark Hargrove wrote:Rather than believing an article in a provincial publication, perhaps one should go to the source.

Wouldn't exactly call TIME and the NY Times provincial publications, but okay. Good link: the trailer is definitely worth watching.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:As Mark noted, service compris

Really?! All for max $75 -- for an upscale restaurant that people are lined up to get into?! I dunno. If something sounds too good to be true.... :?

I am confused here.....I have not seen any indication that Next Restaurant is actually open yet, just notes that it will be open in 2010.....but I am reading things about folks lined up to get in. Are we confusing Next with Aschatz's other venue, Alinea?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re:

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Mark Hargrove wrote:Rather than believing an article in a provincial publication, perhaps one should go to the source.

Rather than believing marketing hype, perhaps one should read the Paper of Record.
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark Hargrove

Rank

Just got here

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Re: Re:

by Mark Hargrove » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:24 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Rather than believing marketing hype, perhaps one should read the Paper of Record.

Twit.

I believe you have a browser error. This is WLDG, not Wine Disorder.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to my future meals at NEXT. Will my first will be a re-creation of a tasting menu from the Paris Ritz, circa 1900, when Escoffier was in charge of cuisine? Achatz has been inserting creations from this era as courses at Alinea in the past few months...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:27 am

Mark Hargrove wrote:I believe you have a browser error. This is WLDG, not Wine Disorder.

Apologies, Mark. And Jeff, tsk! Mark has it right: We try to be civil around here, and certainly don't favor greeting new arrivals with pejoratives. Welcome, Mark!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:17 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark Hargrove wrote:I believe you have a browser error. This is WLDG, not Wine Disorder.

Apologies, Mark. And Jeff, tsk! Mark has it right: We try to be civil around here, and certainly don't favor greeting new arrivals with pejoratives. Welcome, Mark!

Calling the NYTimes "provincial" is a pejorative.
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:35 am

Mark Hargrove wrote:Achatz has been inserting creations from this era as courses at Alinea in the past few months...

I've had one such. It was one of the least-inspiring things on the menu.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:47 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:No apology. He's entitled to his opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Jeff, it wasn't a request. I insist on a civil forum. Politics to the contrary notwithstanding, and I'm probably even more of a card-carrying liberal than you.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:27 pm

The history is adjusted. I cannot edit the inclusion in his post or yours, of course.

On the next incident, I will add him to my ignore list instead of responding.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The history is adjusted. I cannot edit the inclusion in his post or yours, of course.

On the next incident, I will add him to my ignore list instead of responding.

Thanks, Jeff. That's all I ask. It takes two to make a fight, but it only takes one to end one.
Previous