Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

IOTM: Fresh Wild Mushrooms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: IOTM: Fresh Wild Mushrooms

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Anaphylactic shock. A severe allergic reaction.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:35 pm

That's the dude.

Btw, until I had to know, I'd have never considered mushroom poisoning an allergy. Allergies were what made me sniffle around dogs and hay. Mushroom-related deaths were for stupid people who ate Death Caps. But it's all one and the same.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Jenise,

Two very different factors at work.

Toxic mushrooms such as death angel and fly agaric contain nasty chemical compounds that are toxic to the human liver, nervous system, or other vital parts of the body. They affect everyone--nobody is safe.

Your reaction to Botelus is an extreme allergic reaction, in the same class as allergies to peanuts, shellfish, or bee stings. For most folks, raw porcinis are perfectly safe to eat.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Per my doctor, in my case it may not entirely be two different factors. That is, I have this rare mushroom allergy, and so far as we know it's only to one species. But because my symptoms are identical to those described for mushroom poisoning and not those commonly associated with food allergy (runny nose, itchy eyes, respiratory complications), the name you call it by is immaterial. It's toxic--instantaneous, severe, and could lead to respiratory, liver and cardiovascular failure. How she put it: for everyone, Death Caps are poison. For me, porcinis are too, just perhaps less so. I have yet to eat more than two bites, so we don't know what it would take.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous