Pasta con le Sarde

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Pasta con le Sarde

Postby Howie Hart » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Tuesday night, I went to a St. Josephs Day dinner with my lady friend (she's Italian) at a friend's house. Last night on Chat, I was chatting about it, the special St. Josephs Day bread etc., and I mentioned how much I liked the Pasta con le Sarde and what was in it. One of the chatters, who had never heard of St. Josephs Day, that the thought of a pasta dish that contained sardines, raisins, pine nuts and tomatoes was making her gag. She suggested that I post about it here, because she couldn't believe someone would actually eat this. So here is a link to a recipe that seems similar to what we had on Tuesday:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sicilian-Style-Pasta-with-Sardines-106272
Does anyone else like this?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Re: Pasta con le Sarde

Postby Frank Deis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Howie, I don't know the dish but from reading the recipe I am 100% sure I would like it.

Then again, I'm one of the converted, who went from "no anchovies" to a real enjoyment of anchovies...

There is a "green sauce" from Piemonte that is basically half parsley and half anchovies. Yum...
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Postby Dale Williams » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 pm

I saw that recipe from Gourmet last weekend while I was helping Betsy "trim" the recipe files. Very good, we haven't done in ages.
We also liked this one, which we've done for a quick weekedn lunch a couple of times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/dinin ... ref=dining
I love sardines as an occasional treat (I think I would tire if I ate more than once every month or two), even the pedestrian ones are good, but the better Spanish/Portugese ones seem to be several steps above the average Polish/Moroccan/Canadian.

Now fresh sardines, they could be on my table every 2 weeks.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:54 pm

I've seen some recipes for Pasta con le Sarde using fresh sardines and have been on the lookout for them for just that purpose. Unfortunately, they're difficult to find around here. I'll have to try the one you've linked to, Howie. It sounds good.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Dale Williams » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:12 pm

OK, Betsy pointed out I was wrong, it wasn't the Gourmet recipe we've done,but a similar one from NYT (besides the more recent one with capers)
http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/11696/Pa ... Sarde.html
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Postby Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 am

I have two or three copies of this recipe saved from different sources. It is my go to dish for late nights when I'm hungry and want something quick but satisfying. I have a similar one that uses tuna. I use a good quality canned tuna for this dish. Both are great and soul satisfying.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
Jo Ann Henderson
Mealtime Maven

Postby Drew Hall » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:31 am

I'll be the lone bad guy here and say that I would eat the recipe using fresh sardines but would also gag using the canned version.
Drew Hall
Wine guru

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:02 am

A wonderful dish. I recall a little place near my old apartment that served it as a house specialty.

It's all of Sicily on one plate: http://www.weareneverfull.com/pasta-con-le-sarde-sicily-on-a-plate/
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Frank Deis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:09 am

I don't know whether this helps -- but I have 3 or 4 Asian supermarkets nearby (Chinese and Korean) and that's a really good place to find fresh sardines. The selection of fish tends to be very good at Asian markets, try 'em if you have one locally.
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Postby Howie Hart » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:35 am

The recipe I posted uses canned sardines. Mario Batali's recipe calls for fresh. Pasta with Sardines
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Frank -

I've tried a couple of the local Asian markets, but the best I found was frozen/thawed sardines. They didn't look good enough for this.

Back in the day, Monterey (not far from here) was a big sardine processing town, so one would think that fresh ones would be around. Maybe I just haven't hit on the right store at the right time.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Mike Bowlin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:25 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Frank -

I've tried a couple of the local Asian markets, but the best I found was frozen/thawed sardines. They didn't look good enough for this.

Back in the day, Monterey (not far from here) was a big sardine processing town, so one would think that fresh ones would be around. Maybe I just haven't hit on the right store at the right time.

The restaurants around the Monterey Plaza still have fresh sardines on the menu. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike Bowlin
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Like the dish but not that stoked about the inclusion of raisins.
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Postby Jenise » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 am

This topic reminded me of a piece I saw on CBS' Sunday Morning just a few years ago about the closing of the last Sardine plant in the U.S. I couldn't find the video reportage, but did find a print article that's very informative.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-6394365.html
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 am

Brings a tear to my eye.
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Return to The Forum Kitchen