Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:06 pm

Tonight's dinner is gai sai takrai (Thai lemongrass chicken) and jasmine rice.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:12 pm

A new friend and another couple are coming over for dinner tonight. It is sweltering hot here (20+ degrees!) so I will be able to grill outside.

Dinner is grilled heritage pork chops topped with bacon jam. Wine will be an old Williams Selyem Pinot Noir. My friends are taking care of the rest of the food and wine and I suspect there will not be any disappointment.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Tonight we're getting together with the Dorks of York, and the topic is Southern Rhone. This afternoon I'll be making some ground turkey & artichoke meatballs en casserole with a lot of olives and herbs d'Provence to take along.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:36 pm

There was some grilled pork and bacon jam left over from the other evenings festivities and I was tired after working out tonight, so I just stuffed some tortillas with that along with avocado, Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes, queso criollo cheese and a little spritz of fresh lime juice.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:03 pm

This weekend I'm going to make misr wot (Ethiopian red lentil stew) using the Whole Foods berbere.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:03 am

Coulibiac, made with wild salmon and chopped dill, minus the hard-boiled eggs but plus a layer of shrimp, wrapped in puff pastry with layers of sauteed spinach, sauteed mushrooms in wine and cream, chopped fennel and parsnip (parboiled), and a bed of seasoned basmati rice (fennel seed, charnushka, cardamom, juniper, allspice, bay, cinnamon, lemon).

My first one and I'm pleased.

2015-01-18 19.10.29 sm.jpg

2015-01-18 20.42.37 sm.jpg

2015-01-18 19.17.25 sm.jpg

Hard to get it on the plate without it falling apart. But a little sour cream and salmon caviar helps! :wink:

For next time: The root vegetables are in there because there wasn't enough spinach to cover the pan. I'll get 3 or 4 times as much spinach next time. I'd also like a bit more mushrooms and even a bit more shrimp -- they add texture -- but it's pretty good as it stands. Though rumor has it that I should really use kasha instead of rice for greater authenticity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:09 am

Looks great -- we've made it before.

The definitive version uses sturgeon -- I'll probably never get to do that.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Looks great, Jeff, and it sounds like it would be fun to make.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:17 pm

That looks great, Jeff. I want some!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:45 pm

Italian sausage with roasted fennel, onions, carrots and garlic and black beluga lentils.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:10 am

The weather has been typical yucky Sacramento winter-gray-fog the last few days. I had a smoked hamhock in the freezer, so I simmered it up with some vegetables and lentils to make a hearty and healthy-feeling soup for a chilly day. It hit the spot.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:28 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:The weather has been typical yucky Sacramento winter-gray-fog the last few days. I had a smoked hamhock in the freezer, so I simmered it up with some vegetables and lentils to make a hearty and healthy-feeling soup for a chilly day. It hit the spot.

Just bought a couple of ham hocks yesterday and intend to use for the same purpose later this week. Love me some hearty winter soups and stews.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:22 pm

Speaking of Kulebiaka, my first attempt as well. Made for 40 for the Old Russian New Year celebration last weekend. Puff pastry wrapping 9 layers of blini, rice, mushrooms, egg, salmon then egg, mushroom, rice, blini. Terribly cramped with the oven space. Not happy with blotchy appearance of the puff pastry because it got dried out while assembling 4 of these monsters. Served with dilled sour cream. Have to say it was better as the flavors melded. Will do again for a large group
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:34 pm

Those look great, Christina! Did you work from a traditional recipe?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:48 am

Jeez. the two of you are killin' me here!

That looks great, Christina. Are those capers in the top photo?

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:09 am

Jeff, never occurred to me to alter the shape. Your execution would have been much easier. It was almost impossible to lift trays in/out of the oven each having 2 kuliebaka . It took 13# salmon, 3 cups rice 4# mushrooms, 18 eggs. I like the green in your combo.
Yes, I followed recipes from Russian cookbooks by Anya von Bremzen and Darra Goldstein. Labor intensive but not difficult.
One change I will make is to leave the poached fish whole. The recipes said to flake the fish after poaching and this created a mess when mounding. The classic Russian recipes call for blini encasing the layers top and bottom. This is necessary to keep the puff pastry from getting soggy which it did not even the next day. All in all a lot of fun for an appreciative audience of Russian expats.
Mike, those were peas with almonds, tarragon, shallots
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Christina and Jeff--your work is to be envied. Gorgeous results, both. I've never made one of those. :oops: And here I am surrounded by salmon--nuts, isn't it.

Made paella last night for dinner guests (who became my friends about 15 or so years ago when they read a post of mine on WLDG and contacted me to see about attending a party I mentioned planning). They now live in Florida and had brought some Floridian chorizo and I happened to have made two quarts of strong shellfish stock last week, so we couldn't NOT have paella, could we?

Tonight: spaghetti Bolognese with homemade pasta.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Bandh Gobi, Northern Indian cabbage curry with onions, tomato, garlic, ginger and aromatic spices. This one came out really well!

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:06 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Jeff, never occurred to me to alter the shape. Your execution would have been much easier. It was almost impossible to lift trays in/out of the oven each having 2 kuliebaka . It took 13# salmon, 3 cups rice 4# mushrooms, 18 eggs. I like the green in your combo.

Yikes! That's a lot of salmon.

I did what I usually do: read a whole bunch of recipes then put it together the way I like. I got my rice from one recipe, the spinach from another, and the shrimp layer was an adaptation of somebody's pureed whitefish layer. :D

Yes, I followed recipes from Russian cookbooks by Anya von Bremzen and Darra Goldstein. Labor intensive but not difficult.
One change I will make is to leave the poached fish whole. The recipes said to flake the fish after poaching and this created a mess when mounding. The classic Russian recipes call for blini encasing the layers top and bottom. This is necessary to keep the puff pastry from getting soggy which it did not even the next day. All in all a lot of fun for an appreciative audience of Russian expats.

Yes, I saw the blini and acknowledge that it's a good idea but I'm way too lazy to do it.

I also saw the poach-and-flake scheme but my head is still ringing with that Daniel Boulud piece in which the salmon overcooked so I was determined to keep it whole -- and refrigerated -- till the last moment.

My puff pastry did lose a little something to the cream-wine-mushroom layer directly under it. I might consider a thin layer of something to block that next time.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:13 am

Jeff, I think we must have read some of the same books. Balthazar's recipe had whole filets and uncooked spinach. Julia Child had a fish mousse, white fish filets and mushrooms wrapped in a single large crepe. After consulting many sources, like many "traditional" recipes no two were alike. As it turns out the salmon in puff pastry is the French version and the generic Russian is usually filled with meat or cabbage.
I made the crepes the day ahead and the rest went together quite quickly. The creps allow you to keep the filling quite moist so it does not dry out in the baking. I am able to get the all butter DuFour puff pastry so did not have to make my own.
Will also make again tweaking the contents.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Tonight we're comparing syrahs with our house guests, a plan decided over coffee about an hour ago and a change from the coq au vin and pinots I'd been planning. So the chicken is now in a brine with fresh rosemary, fresh bay leaf, wine and a big fat chipotle (dried, not the adobo kind, which I don't care for), and we'll just roast that later. Not a combination I've tried before but big herbs and a little smokey background essence sounds just perfect to me for the wines. .
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:05 am

Today, I'll try my hand at persimmon pudding made with pulp from locally grown American persimmons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:26 pm

We're going to a dinner party tonight, but will have leftover wot for lunch. Yum!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:22 pm

Dinner tonight: purchased lots of mushrooms last week for something that never happened. Shitake, crimini and m---take, the name escapes me but I'm sure of that much--and was thinking of doing sautéed mushrooms that I'd serve over a cast iron skillet of layered and crisp roasted potato slices. Came here to say as much and saw Christina and Jeff's photos and now I'm thinking pot pie or strudel. Damn, don't know what to do!
PreviousNext