Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Redwinger » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Tom-
I could eat that.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Redwinger wrote:Tom-
I could eat that.

I got leftovers. Just sayin'.

:mrgreen:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:50 am

Wow, pass me a slice!

Dinner last night was 'country style' ribs, which I had a completely different plan for until I realized I had collard greens in the crisper and some inexpensive zinfandels to test for an upcoming event. So I roasted them for almost three hours with a whole sliced up onion and some homemade barbecue sauce, and served the fall-apart tender meat over the chopped collard greens accompanied by a thinly sliced cucumber salad and some grilled green onions. Homey, and perfect zin food.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Jenise wrote:Wow, pass me a slice!

Dinner last night was 'country style' ribs, which I had a completely different plan for until I realized I had collard greens in the crisper and some inexpensive zinfandels to test for an upcoming event. So I roasted them for almost three hours with a whole sliced up onion and some homemade barbecue sauce, and served the fall-apart tender meat over the chopped collard greens accompanied by a thinly sliced cucumber salad and some grilled green onions. Homey, and perfect zin food.

I'll trade you for some of yours!!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Spicy home-style Sichuan veggies and tofu (with plant-based "beefless crumbles").

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Last night:

IMG_5680.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Tonight: bulgogi. Maybe with cabbage slaw to keep it cold and green and lo-carb.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Jenise wrote:Tonight: bulgogi. Maybe with cabbage slaw to keep it cold and green and lo-carb.

Probably a stupid question, but: do you make your own bulgogi sauce, Jenise?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Farmers' market and garden dinner: Bhindi masala, Indian-style okra with onions, garlic, ginger and tomatoes, served with basmati rice.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Fresh limas poached in Parma butter and olive oil with garlic and fresh sage, low and slow until the beans are creamy and take up the aromatics. Can I get a "Yum"?

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Molto Yum Robin. There is nothing like FRESH limas and they take to your method perfectly. Indeed, a meal unto itself.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:53 pm

I made a couple of items from "Chef on Fire" tonight in honor of the ailing Chef Carey - Sole Meuniere and Spinach and Goat Cheese Timbales. Both came out really well. The sole was a little undersauced, but the lemon-butter-parsley flavors still came out nicely with the sauteed fish. The timbales were just great. I sub'd in Swiss chard for the spinach (so that my daughter would eat them) and added some parmigiano. I had to hold myself back from eating two or three of them. Served it all with an '06 Cedarville Viognier, which is a rich and leesy take on viognier. It complemented the food quite well.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:32 am

Robin Garr wrote:Can I get a "Yum"?

YUM!!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:04 am

I made hong shao ji (red-cooked chicken) last night.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Grilled Italian-style "sausage" (LightLife "Smart Sausages® Italian Style") with sauteed peppers and onions over polenta, mmm.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Spicy Cajun okra jambalaya with plant-based LightLife Smart Sausages™ Italian-style.

no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Spicy Cajun okra jambalaya with plant-based LightLife Smart Sausages™ Italian-style.

Looks great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMVvS_mmqE
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I made a couple of items from "Chef on Fire" tonight in honor of the ailing Chef Carey - Sole Meuniere and Spinach and Goat Cheese Timbales. Both came out really well. The sole was a little undersauced, but the lemon-butter-parsley flavors still came out nicely with the sauteed fish. The timbales were just great. I sub'd in Swiss chard for the spinach (so that my daughter would eat them) and added some parmigiano. I had to hold myself back from eating two or three of them. Served it all with an '06 Cedarville Viognier, which is a rich and leesy take on viognier. It complemented the food quite well.

Mike, I was taken with that timbale recipe, too. Glad to know your results were so good--I'll copy!

No idea what we're having tonight. I spent all day making tamales here with a friend--we made 102, to be exact--which was more tiring than I'd have guessed. No idea what we're having for dinner--BUT IT WON'T BE MEXICAN. :)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:52 am

Jenise wrote:
Mike, I was taken with that timbale recipe, too. Glad to know your results were so good--I'll copy!

No idea what we're having tonight. I spent all day making tamales here with a friend--we made 102, to be exact--which was more tiring than I'd have guessed. No idea what we're having for dinner--BUT IT WON'T BE MEXICAN. :)

The timbales really were wonderful. I was thinking that they'd work well in mini-muffin tins and in the book it's pointed out that they hold well when made in advance. They'd make very nice appetizers for a crowd.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:34 am

Jenise wrote:No idea what we're having tonight. I spent all day making tamales here with a friend--we made 102, to be exact--which was more tiring than I'd have guessed. No idea what we're having for dinner--BUT IT WON'T BE MEXICAN. :)

Funny.

You remind me of an incident many years ago: I was helping a friend prepare for a very large picnic. We set up two huge kettles of water and we par-boiled 104 chicken quarters (so that they would grill quickly and evenly the next day on this enormous fire-pit). It was a very long day and I distinctly remember not wanting anything to do with chicken for a while after.

Though I was interested in the boiling solution because it had developed a strong chicken flavor with several inches of chicken fat floating on top!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Schmaltz! It's in your blood. Similarly, after tasting and seasoning the meat mixture all day as I worked with it, on an empty stomach, (two chickens roasted and five pounds of pork simmered a long time with garlic and guajillo chiles), I ended up not desiring any meat at all. Dinner was a veggie trio of toasted fresh corn, rappini, and tomato-onion salad. With a Clos du Val chardonnay.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:09 am

Jenise wrote:Schmaltz! It's in your blood..

That's what the Lipitor is for! :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:25 pm

No idea what we're having for dinner tonight. I thawed a chunk of filet mignon leftover from some event I used the rest for and have been waiting all day for some bolt of lightning or surge of appetite to suggest the best way to turn that into a satisfying dinner, but a midday onset of the blahs seems to have smothered the usual spikes of creativity that normally arise late afternoon and now it's 4:00 with nary a clever plan in sight.

Shit, I hate when this happens.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Tonite was a hearty vegetable soup utilizing garden fresh tomatoes, zukes, eggplant, onions,along with store bought potatoes. Made it in the crock pot and the veggies were not mushy at all, :P
As we've reaped the garden bounty this summer, I've noticed that we have just evolved into meat free days two or three times per week. Rest easy, I'm not about to go vegetarian and I'm sure we'll do fewer meat free days as the availability of super-fresh produce diminishes and our freezer empties.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
PreviousNext