Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Tom NJ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:01 pm

Yeah, but it's not as FUN as kitchen/dining behavior mods. So screw dat!

I'm sure we both remember fondly the old MTV credo: "Too much is never enough." So no - keep 'em coming!

Although....I guess I should have specified I'm more interested in playing around with savory concoctions. Banana pancakes, in wontons of various nationalities, etc., are all great (with special mention of your Black Forest suggestion - that sounds like a winner :idea: ), but not for her so much. (Lol...maybe the banana liquor would be an exception.)

I recall reading "Clinging to the Wreckage" by John Mortimer some years ago, and in it he describes his pre-war dinners frequently featured "that old staple, beef-and-bananas" (may not be exactly verbatim, but that was the gist). I've never seen it mentioned since, so it's rather shock to see you dredge it up here. I've always been curious, so now I'll go search it out. Thanks!

(BTW, there was a fantastic passage in "Clinging" where Mortimer recounts a train ride across England just post-war. In the dining car he opens the menu and under "Desserts" is listed ice cream. Just ice cream, with no further description. He calls the waiter over. The following is as I remember it being written: "What flavor is the ice cream" I asked. "Oh, no flavor sir." And he was correct.)

:lol:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:50 am

The problem with savory concoctions is that the banana is fundamentally sweet. Switching to plantains might open more savory doors.

Make Major Grey's chutney with banana (or plantain) instead of mango.

Maybe some old school recipes will spark a thought: https://whatscookinvt.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/banana_6.jpg
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:56 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The problem with savory concoctions is that the banana is fundamentally sweet. Switching to plantains might open more savory doors.

Make Major Grey's chutney with banana (or plantain) instead of mango.

Maybe some old school recipes will spark a thought: https://whatscookinvt.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/banana_6.jpg

Wow, that IS old school. Thanks for digging that up, Jeff. It was a hoot to read! Good call on the chutney, too.

Personally, I don't consider sweet ingredients to be an outlier in savory dishes. Think fruit heavy curries of the Caribbean and elsewhere, sweet Thai chili sauce, even some classic European dishes (like one of my favorites: Chicken Veronique).

Anyway, all great idea and they're much appreciated. Thanks again!

:D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:32 pm

I just spent ten days in Costa Rica (a vacation I'll never forget if for no other reason than a sprained ankle caused a lesser recurrence of the horrendous leg infection I had earlier this year and which has required hospital time since returning home and a grossly inconvenient need to keep my left foot higher than my heart for the foreseeable future) where bananas grow wild in abundance. All kinds of bananas, big and tiny, long and short, sweet and savory, bunches of which hang in kitchens so often do they use them. Since we opted for 'tico' cuisine whenever possible, we ate a lot of them while there. My favorite prep? A savory banana, somewhat plantain-like in texture but shorter, fatter and pinker in the flesh, that was slit down the long way, filled with cheese and a bit of cinnamon, then lightly rolled in sugar and baked until the sugar formed a shatterable little crust. OH MY GOSH. SO good. That was served with the classic Costa Rican breakfast of gallo pinto (rice and beans). A regular plantain would do this job quite well. Also, in the Carribean, I once had thin plantain chips which were fried then dusted with salt and some kind of chili powder for liberally garnishing curries. This can be done earlier in the day and then oven-baked to crisp up just before serving.

Just two ideas and I don't have any others, but both are interesting preparations though not as inventive as what you came up with. I love the banana arancini!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:11 pm

Jenise wrote:A savory banana, somewhat plantain-like in texture but shorter, fatter and pinker in the flesh, that was slit down the long way, filled with cheese and a bit of cinnamon, then lightly rolled in sugar and baked until the sugar formed a shatterable little crust. OH MY GOSH. SO good.

Ok, THIS is something that is definitely going on the menu. Thanks Jenise!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:18 pm

Tom NJ wrote:Wow, that IS old school. Thanks for digging that up, Jeff. It was a hoot to read! Good call on the chutney, too.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Tom NJ wrote:
Jenise wrote:A savory banana, somewhat plantain-like in texture but shorter, fatter and pinker in the flesh, that was slit down the long way, filled with cheese and a bit of cinnamon, then lightly rolled in sugar and baked until the sugar formed a shatterable little crust. OH MY GOSH. SO good.

Ok, THIS is something that is definitely going on the menu. Thanks Jenise!

Too bad we can't get all kinds of neat bananas here like they have there. I got to taste one of the bananas my tiny hotel kitchen used in the above, because our room was right next to the kitchen and I was laid up there all afternoon after the accident which gave me the opportunity to watch wildlife come to my window, including these adorable raccoon-like creatures called coattimundi and some small white-faced monkeys. The kitchen gave me the bananas to feed them, so I took a taste. To most people they'd lack sweetness, but that's only because of the expectation of sweetness where all things banana are concerned. I thought they were delicious!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:38 pm

I can find several kinds at the Mexican groceries here but I don't know one plantain from another.

I wonder how to find that out?

I'm sure that we don't have anywhere near the variety of C.R.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:03 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I can find several kinds at the Mexican groceries here but I don't know one plantain from another.

I wonder how to find that out?

I'm sure that we don't have anywhere near the variety of C.R.

No, down there they have hundreds--it's probably comparable to apples in America, of which there are some 2500 varieties. But most grocers who carry a variety of bananas probably would be able to advise which are cooking bananas and which are table bananas.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Venison pot pie tonight. Very pretty meat from New Zealand, three kinds of mushrooms and a bunch of root vegetables, Rioja and broth, lingonberries and grated dark chocolate. A hearty, earthy gravy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:58 pm

Jeff, that sounds AMAZING. Certainly beats the Trader Joe's chicken pot pie we're going to have! But hey, I'm a cripple. Might serve a Bordeaux with it to up the elegance a bit.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Pork chops, seared and baked in a gratin with potatoes, onions and green chiles. Still crippled, so not doing anything fancy.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Sichuan stir-fried ground pork with hot peppers.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Last night, it was quesadillas made with sliced roast beef, horseradish creme fraiche, Danish fontina, and arugula. These scored high on the wife appreciation-o-meter.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Last night, it was quesadillas made with sliced roast beef, horseradish creme fraiche, Danish fontina, and arugula. These scored high on the wife appreciation-o-meter.

Quite the transcultural quesadilla!

Nice that you can think outside the box.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Last night, it was quesadillas made with sliced roast beef, horseradish creme fraiche, Danish fontina, and arugula. These scored high on the wife appreciation-o-meter.

Quite the transcultural quesadilla!

Nice that you can think outside the box.

I've found some flour tortillas made by MIchaela's that I just love. They're thicker than usual and the puff up nicely under the broiler. I've been making more traditional quesadillas pretty frequently because of this but figured I'd best get a little more creative or there'd be a revolt from the rest of the family.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Tonight's the neighborhood wine group's annual Christmas party. Our biggest and most ambitious ever with 80 guests. As usual, I'm both event manager and head chef/kitchen manager. I've hired a caterer to do the paellas (theme is Feliz Navidad), and I have a staff of 39 others who are handling everything from the music playlist to emceeing to decorations, graphics, set up, load in, wine pouring--you name it. I personally, with three helpers, made all the hors d'ouvres plus the peach gazpacho (recipe's been posted here). Another team made all the desserts.

Big day!!!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:34 pm

Jenise wrote:\Big day!!!

I should say so! Break a leg, or break a plate, or whatever the appropriate wish is ... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:51 pm

Jenise wrote:Big day!!!

Make a timpano so it can be a Big Night, too!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Tonight's the neighborhood wine group's annual Christmas party. Our biggest and most ambitious ever with 80 guests. As usual, I'm both event manager and head chef/kitchen manager. I've hired a caterer to do the paellas (theme is Feliz Navidad), and I have a staff of 39 others who are handling everything from the music playlist to emceeing to decorations, graphics, set up, load in, wine pouring--you name it. I personally, with three helpers, made all the hors d'ouvres plus the peach gazpacho (recipe's been posted here). Another team made all the desserts.

Big day!!!

Do you have PMP training? I know certified Project Managers who can't handle a team of 39.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:01 pm

I made French onion soup last night.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:34 pm

I also made soup last night, but mine was a variant on Portuguese kale-sausage soup, with kale, chard, and Spanish Chorizo.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:36 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Do you have PMP training? I know certified Project Managers who can't handle a team of 39.

Like border collies are born to herd, I was born to administrate. A career in cost and scheduling industrial mega-projects at Fluor gave me the tools for forecasting, and I've honed the leadership skills needed to manage volunteers on the job.

But I'm exhausted. Today the only volunteer I want to manage has four paws and whiskers.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:41 pm

Tonight: braised lamb shank.
PreviousNext