Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Jenise » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Dinner tonight: a vegetarian repast of warm rapini salad first course (steamed rapini simply doused with a drizzle of lemon juice, olive oil and salt, followed by spinach fettucine in a sauce made from gift fresh black trumpet mushrooms, garlic, parmesan and cream.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:04 pm

I took out the gas grill last night and made Jamaican jerk chicken.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Take advantage of that great weather whole you can, Paul!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:09 pm

Leftover goose, stuffing, and gravy warming up in the toaster oven, and will soon nuke the leftover braised red cabbage. Looking forward to all.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:29 am

Carl Eppig wrote:Leftover goose, stuffing, and gravy warming up in the toaster oven, and will soon nuke the leftover braised red cabbage. Looking forward to all.

Mmmm!

The only downside of not cooking Christmas dinner at home is not having any leftovers.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:39 am

Winter has finally arrived here in New England. To help keep warm, I made a Thai green curry and threw in a couple of strings of green peppercorns.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:02 pm

Sounds so good, Paul. We went to an Open House but didn't eat much, so dinner was popcorn and champagne when we got home.

Not sure what we're doing tonight, but it might be 'steaks' of rolled and skewered prime rib cap.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:42 am

Finally have enough tomatoes from the garden sosomemake it to the kitchen!
Tonight a beautiful panzanella salad with a side of grilled chicken, mm.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:01 pm

I know some people aren't Bittman fans, but he tends to be quite good with easy no-meat meals. Tonight made his "loaded" miso soup. Starts off pretty standard- steep the kombu, whisk miso (I was using red) in cup of stock add back to bowl. Then add shredded carrots, turnip, and ginger, some shelled edamame, some silk tofu. Top with crisped shiitakes and scallion. Good stuff for meatless Monday on a winter night. Side was leeks Climens (braised in some Sauternes that was sitting around for couple weeks) and rice with furikake and kimchi.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:05 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I know some people aren't Bittman fans ...

A few years ago I was in the not-a-fan category. I felt that he was lazy and careless, and suspected that some of his recipes couldn't possibly have been tested.

But I like his writing on food justice and food politics, and as he has grown in that role, either his cooking has gotten better or I have become more forgiving. :mrgreen:

Anyway, looks like a good recipe, Dale!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:51 pm

In keeping with my status as a gourmand of the highest order, last night's supper was Spam and egg burritos. I'd never actually purchased one of the blue cans before, but we had some that was fried up with eggs for New Year's Day brunch and it was kinda good. So I fried up a few slices last night, put them on top of flour tortillas, added some scrambled eggs, and rolled them up. Really pretty good, although a little Spam goes a long way due to the saltiness.

I don't think this is going to make it into the regular rotation but it was worth doing.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:In keeping with my status as a gourmand of the highest order, last night's supper was Spam and egg burritos. I'd never actually purchased one of the blue cans before, but we had some that was fried up with eggs for New Year's Day brunch and it was kinda good. So I fried up a few slices last night, put them on top of flour tortillas, added some scrambled eggs, and rolled them up. Really pretty good, although a little Spam goes a long way due to the saltiness.

I don't think this is going to make it into the regular rotation but it was worth doing.

Cool! Which Manischewitz did you uncor...open with it?
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Oh that's a Bud Light meal if there ever was one. Not that I'd do that. I'll eat Spam but I have my limits!

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:36 am

Next: spam sushi? There was a club in Anchorage, Alaska, that served several SPAM dishes in honor of Alaska being the second highest consumer of SPAM (next to Hawaii). They all cost $90 each, and each came with a bottle of Dom. I was so tempted....
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:38 pm

I guess I will mention that I bought a "musube maker" (a plastic contraption) so I could try spam musube, one of Barack's favorite dishes when he visits Hawaii. It produces a rectangle of compressed Japanese sushi rice, with a thin slice of fried spam on top, wrapped with nori seaweed. And pretty tasty, but it didn't become a habit with us. Louise looks down on Spam more than I do, I did grow up with it as pretty much a staple when I was young. And I don't mind eating it although to use a wine word, it is pretty clearly "spoofulated" meat, you taste the processing and chemicals more than you taste the meat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:51 pm

Frank Deis wrote: And I don't mind eating it although to use a wine word, it is pretty clearly "spoofulated" meat, you taste the processing and chemicals more than you taste the meat.

True. Personally, if I'm going to eat spoofulated meat, I'm going to eat Slim Jim's. (They're a weakness.)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:52 pm

I love Spam musubi, as does my daughter. One of the families we spend New Year's Eve with always brings several Tupperware containers full of them for eating that evening and more for everyone to take home. I've also had grilled Spam that had been marinated in a teriyaki-type sauce that was very good. The marinade cut the heavy flavor of the processing agents and gave it a bit more of a refined character (not that you could get any less of a refined character than that of Spam).

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:54 pm

My neighborhood wine group is doing a Meet The Winemaker tasting this month, and tonight I've got the winemaker and his wife coming for dinner to get to know each other better and solidify our plan. One of his specialties is zinfandel--there are only two vineyards of it up here and he gets better results from those grapes than anyone. So I decided that a fun dinner would be other California zins and Mexican food to go with them. The menu will be: pork belly and grilled pineapple mini tacos with champagne, a first course of tomato-avocado-scallop ceviche topped with a seared scallop and served up in a martini glass, a main course of chile verde and red chili rice garnished with fried tortilla strips and strips of fresh, marinated pasilla chiles, and a meyer lemon-polenta cake for dessert.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:22 pm

We had a dinner party Fri, the usual "any foods to avoid" led to the usual series of jokes ("I'm on a raw diet" "I'm only eating foods that start with :P",. etc) and of course included at least one spam reference. So I decided Hormal Strikes Back (having read Mike F's comment). So Betsy (for me) made spam musubi for a starter. OK, I admit, I loved this. As did all but one person (I love her, but doesn't really care about food, very ideological) who basically wouldn't try. One can (lower sodium, but that's like a skinny elephant). Betsy and I had for lunch following day,. and I finished with scrambled eggs this AM. Pretty good for a $3 can.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:42 am

Underwood Deviled Ham is next! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:42 pm

Sichuan this past weekend: stir-fried ground pork and hot peppers on Saturday and dry-fried beef and celery on Sunday.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Paul, sounds great as always. I love Chinese dishes that have an intense celery presence--no doubt a holdover from the Cantonese chicken chow mein that was a standard of my childhood.

Tonight we're having a lentil soup, a potage debris of all manner of bits left in the fridge. Ginger, some beef leftover from French dip sandwiches, the last 3-ish ounces of sauvignon blanc leftover from yesterday, carrots that are starting to grow hair, tomatoes too long in the tooth for serving in salads, fennel fronds, three limp green onions...you get the picture. I seasoned it with fennel seed, garlic, black pepper, powdered fennel and ginger, and berbere. I'll serve that with a green salad or baby romaine, cilantro and avocado.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:05 pm

Tonight: a pair of boneless pork roasts, seared, rubbed with a mix of crushed black peppercorns, crushed fennel seeds, salt, and orange zest. Then braised with lots and lots of fennel, a handful of other veggies, and a broth made of juice squeezed from the zested orange, half a cup madeira, sliced fresh ginger, smashed garlic cloves, a cinnamon stick, and enough chicken broth to get it all halfway up the roasts.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Dinner last night was Creole Chicken with Mushroom Dirty Rice.

-Paul W.
PreviousNext