Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Robin Garr » Tue May 31, 2016 5:29 pm

Tom NJ wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Thai-style red curry with cauliflower and tofu.

Is it the camera? My monitor? Why does that look like Thai yellow curry to me? My red curries are vibrant red.

Because I didn't have any tomatoes? :oops: It's red-curry seasonings, though.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue May 31, 2016 7:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Because I didn't have any tomatoes? :oops: It's red-curry seasonings, though.

Huh. I don't know that I've ever used tomatoes, just (red) chilis. Go figger. Sure yours was excellent...for a pale red curry :mrgreen:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:25 am

Thai green curry for dinner last night.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:35 pm

We had zucchini blossoms stuffed with herbed ricotta earlier in week, had more blossoms and wanted to do something different. Found a pasta recipe- saute onion/celery/carrot, add quartered blossoms and saffron, then add a lot of chicken broth (incrementally, like risotto) so it reduces to more of a glaze. Temper an egg with pasta water, sauce goes over pappardelle. Quite delicious, though not as visually beautiful as full blossoms (especially with my photography)
pappardelle w squash blossoms and saffron.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Dale, that sounds really interesting. I have no access to squash blossoms anymore (I think) but, when I did, all I ever knew to do with them was stuff them.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:51 am

So we were on our way to the farmer's market this morning to get a well brought up chook, amongst other things, when himself executed an unexpected u-turn and pulled over. Huh? Then I saw why.

So tonight we are having wild mushrooms (saffron milk caps) cooked in the oven with EVOO, garlic, parsley and Parmesan with toasted wood fired spelt sourdough. And maybe a garnish of crispy bacon, our home cured and smoked. Not cursed bacon as predictive text would have it!

If I could figure out how to reduce the size of the photos I took on my iPad (new toy) I could show them off.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:36 am

Barb Downunder wrote:If I could figure out how to reduce the size of the photos I took on my iPad (new toy) I could show them off.

I have an iPad, Barb. I'll dig it out later and try to come up with an easy solution for you. :)
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:44 am

I don't know why I never thought of this before.

Every year around this time, when you can get half a dozen ears of corn for a buck, I always load up. Aside from the kernels, one of my favorite things to make is gallons of corn stock from the cobs, a few leaves, and some silk. I freeze a lot of it and dole it out throughout the year to enhance anything from sorbets to chili to bread, and lots in between.

Last night I was rooting around in my cupboard trying to figure out what to make for dinner when I spotted a neglected half bag of course ground corn meal in the back, and it was like a lightning bolt hit me. My god - why had I never thought to make polenta with corn stock?? D'oh!

So I did, and man oh man. Talk about upping the CQ (corn quotient)! I can't believe this obvious pairing escaped me all these years.

Anyway, it came out great. Normally I finish polenta with some grated parm or romano, but I skipped it this time so the pure sweet corn flavors wouldn't be muted. I set out a pan of Shrimp Oreganata on the side, rather than spooning it over the top, too. The combo was excellent.

Lol...I was determined to save some to be made into fried polenta with maple syrup the next morning, but....

* burrrrrrp *

Oh well. Maybe next time :oops:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:45 am

Tom NJ wrote:...Last night I was rooting around in my cupboard trying to figure out what to make for dinner when I spotted a neglected half bag of course ground corn meal in the back, and it was like a lightning bolt hit me. My god - why had I never thought to make polenta with corn stock?? D'oh!
So I did, and man oh man. Talk about upping the CQ (corn quotient)! I can't believe this obvious pairing escaped me all these years....
Not similar, I realize, but I've been upping the CQ for many years. I substitute a can of creamed corn for the milk when mixing Jiffy Corn bread. Then, I spoon it on top of a cast iron skillet of chili and bake until browned and serve wedges of the "corny" bread with the chili.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:10 am

Howie Hart wrote:]Not similar, I realize, but I've been upping the CQ for many years. I substitute a can of creamed corn for the milk when mixing Jiffy Corn bread. Then, I spoon it on top of a cast iron skillet of chili and bake until browned and serve wedges of the "corny" bread with the chili.

I have to admit, it's been many years since I've used either a can of corn or a box of cornbread mix (in fact, I'm not sure if I've ever even tried the latter at all). Are they any good, Howie? Are they high enough quality now that I'm wasting my time making both by hand?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:So we were on our way to the farmer's market this morning to get a well brought up chook, amongst other things, when himself executed an unexpected u-turn and pulled over. Huh? Then I saw why.

So tonight we are having wild mushrooms (saffron milk caps) cooked in the oven with EVOO, garlic, parsley and Parmesan with toasted wood fired spelt sourdough. And maybe a garnish of crispy bacon, our home cured and smoked. Not cursed bacon as predictive text would have it!

If I could figure out how to reduce the size of the photos I took on my iPad (new toy) I could show them off.

Good eyesight on that man!

One thing that I know will shrink pictures is to email them to myself. My Android phone asks me if I want to send the picture full size, or reduced to 70% or 50%.

Home-cursed, indeed, tell the &%^$# device to *&#$% and **#%!@ in its %$&&@#.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:One thing that I know will shrink pictures is to email them to myself. My Android phone asks me if I want to send the picture full size, or reduced to 70% or 50%.

Yes! iOS does something similar. Maybe four size options - Original, Large, Medium, Small, but same idea. Worth a try, Barb.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Tom NJ wrote:I have to admit, it's been many years since I've used either a can of corn or a box of cornbread mix (in fact, I'm not sure if I've ever even tried the latter at all). Are they any good, Howie? Are they high enough quality now that I'm wasting my time making both by hand?
This dish is the only thing I buy either for. It makes for a quick and simple comfort food. Try the cornbread! It's only 79 cents a box. If you don't like it, no big deal. And a can of creamed corn is even less. I made this frequently when the kids were young and living here. I know there are corn bred purists who would look down their noses at me. On occasion I will buy frozen, whole kernel corn, but one of my weaknesses is fresh corn-on-the-cob from the stand up the road from me. I was hoping to get some for a BBQ I'm hosting on Fathers' Day, but I just found out they won't have any until early July. So, I'll have get it from the supermarket, shipped in from out of state. :(
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:12 pm

Howie, I gotta ask... corn bread sweetened or not?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Howie, I gotta ask... corn bread sweetened or not?
Just what's in the mix - contains sugar.
http://www.jiffymix.com/product.php/12/Corn_Muffin_Mix
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Howie Hart wrote:This dish is the only thing I buy either for. It makes for a quick and simple comfort food. Try the cornbread! It's only 79 cents a box. If you don't like it, no big deal. And a can of creamed corn is even less. I made this frequently when the kids were young and living here. I know there are corn bred purists who would look down their noses at me. On occasion I will buy frozen, whole kernel corn, but one of my weaknesses is fresh corn-on-the-cob from the stand up the road from me. I was hoping to get some for a BBQ I'm hosting on Fathers' Day, but I just found out they won't have any until early July. So, I'll have get it from the supermarket, shipped in from out of state. :(

Thanks Howie, I'll give it a shot! I hope your "shipped in" corn works well for you. Good luck :D
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Thai mahogany fire noodles tonight.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:15 pm

Sunday dinner:

#MarriedTheIrishGirl
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Tom NJ wrote:Sunday dinner:

Glad to see you're filling up with green leafy veggies and unrefined grains. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Tom NJ wrote:Sunday dinner:

Glad to see you're filling up with green leafy veggies and unrefined grains. :mrgreen:

:lol:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:57 pm

For a spectacularly over-achieving NYC-area potluck jeebus I assigned myself to the Vegetable Patrol. (Folks who were able to confirm their attendance early had already said they were bringing copious meats and breads.)

So, Friday night I got into the kitchen and made:
  • Cucumber and Coconut Salad - sounds like a weird savory offshoot of ambrosia but this was tremendously popular: crunchy, cool, just a touch sweet and a touch tangy
  • Korean Cucumber Pickle - the usual flavor palette of rice wine, sesame oil, and soy sauce, I punched it up with a few toasted Sichuan peppercorns... and it was still blah
  • Creamy Baked Onions - I laid my hands on real Vidalia onions for this, simmered in water then baked in cream with bay leaves, I thought it was interesting but only a few people even tried it
  • Creamy Chanterelle Sauce -- can't go wrong with mushrooms cooked in cream and cognac, I used half morels and half hedgehogs, I was amazed that there were leftovers!
  • Carrot Confit - the other big favorite, heirloom carrot sticks flavored with garlic, thyme, and lots of lemon, simmered on low heat for 2.5 hours in duck fat, mmm
  • Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Tomato and Olive - when all is said and done, a lot like little pizzas, which is fine but I was somehow expecting something more "brunch"

And, tonight, with the leftover mushroom sauce, I made "Jeebus Tartiflette": warmed up the sauce and poured it over pan-roasted Yukon Gold smashies. My arteries may never unclog but I'm gambling on the health benefits of the chianti I drank with it to pull me through.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:38 am

Leftover morels? Surely not.

The carrot confit sounds like an amazing idea. Might do that next week - low on duck fat, but Betsy is doing breast with grapes over purslane tomorrow which will yield a bit, and I have some olive oil/duck fat from confitting when I was low on fat. Hopefully we'll have some cool nights like last few- I hate long cooking if AC going.

I was happy with a "use up what is in fridge" Thai-ish curry last night. Sweated onions, lemongrass, birdseye with turmeric and ginger, sauteed pressed tofu with curry powder, added zucchini, green beans, tomato, (steamed) kohlrabi, red pepper, then added end of jars of both green and red chili paste, and coconut milk.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:42 am

Dale Williams wrote:The carrot confit sounds like an amazing idea. Might do that next week - low on duck fat ...

I'm all over that idea, too, Dale, and I'm thinking that either olive oil or ghee ought to work as an animal-free alternative.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:43 am

Robin Garr wrote:olive oil or ghee ought to work as an animal-free alternative.

PS: Yeah, I know. Butter comes from cows. But if it's good enough for Hindus, it's good enough for me. :mrgreen:
PreviousNext