Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Coffee makers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Coffee makers?

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:20 am

Howard wrote:I know the coffee doesn't stay hot for more than a half hour but you cannot get a better cup of coffee.

Try what we do, Howard: Buy a decent Thermos. Make your coffee in the French press. Decant immediately into the Thermos. Enjoy!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:23 am

Thomas wrote:I agree, coffee through a press is the next best thing to espresso.

A man after my own heart. We use an espresso maker (Krups) 90 percent of the time, and a French press the other 10 percent. We don't have any other coffee maker in the house and don't want one. Mostly it's espresso, and it's mighty nice to be able to make espresso (and lattes and such) at home. More often than not, if my wife wants a "cup of coffee," she'll go with an Americano (single espresso in a small cup of steaming espresso water) instead.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:04 am

Randy R wrote: We also used a piston press for years (I think you call it French press, but in France...)

Sort of like not calling a New York steak a New York steak when in New York..........

:D
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:I agree, coffee through a press is the next best thing to espresso.

A man after my own heart. We use an espresso maker (Krups) 90 percent of the time, and a French press the other 10 percent. We don't have any other coffee maker in the house and don't want one. Mostly it's espresso, and it's mighty nice to be able to make espresso (and lattes and such) at home. More often than not, if my wife wants a "cup of coffee," she'll go with an Americano (single espresso in a small cup of steaming espresso water) instead.

Robin,

We hosted my wife's 86 year-old mother over Thanksgiving for four days. She said the coffee I served made her want to fly--without the help of an airplane...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:53 am

Doug Surplus wrote:My faitfhul Mr Coffee died this week. In spite of the myriad of choices for fancy coffee makers, over the years, I've always used a Mr Coffee drip maker. Theyt had a simple design that worked and never leaked. My coffee was always hot and tasty (provided I used good coffee to start with).

Now they apparently have changed and not for the better. I've read user reviews of flimsy plastic, breaking parts - swing out baskets and the mid-brew shutoff are the usual suspects) and leaks. Unfortunately, these flaws seem to plague ALL the brands of coffee makers, from the $15 basic machine to the $150 with bells and whistles.

I've found a basic Delonghi ($40) that looks good but it only has one review. I also found a commercial Mr Coffee that apprarently is the same design as my defunct machine, without the timer function.

But, I'd thought I'd ask the experts on this forum what they use and why. What you've had that didn't work, likes and dislikes, etc.

Braun has been a stalwart for me.

Inexpensive and sturdy...it gets the job done, day in and day out.
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:12 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I was given a Cuisinart Grind and Brew Thermal for Christmas last year and I love it.

Cynthia - I was reading reviews of this product at amazon and many people complained about the basket popping out. Have you had that experience? I'm guessing no, since I didn't read any complaints, but just wondered.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:13 pm

Well we're now the proud owners of a Gaggia Baby Class (odd name for a coffee maker :? ).

It certainly gets more oomph out of the same coffee we'd been using in a stove-top espresso maker. Nice Crema as well, though we've not tried the frother out yet.

Now to find a suitable grinder...

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:55 pm

Laura Brand-Bauer wrote:Cynthia - I was reading reviews of this product at amazon and many people complained about the basket popping out.

Nope, I've had nothing but joy with it.

The friend who gave it to me has one and so does his other best friend. None of us have any complaints.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:39 am

Well, since I had a Capresso grinder already, I went ahead and bought the Cuisinsart Brew Station last week. It is making wonderful coffee for me. I seem to be getting fuller flavor, but a smoother feel. I'm quite happy, or would be except that I came across the same machine for $30 less at Costco. <Sigh>
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:50 am

Well, since I had a Capresso grinder already, I went ahead and bought the Cuisinsart Brew Station last week. It is making wonderful coffee for me. I seem to be getting fuller flavor, but a smoother feel. I'm quite happy, or would be except that I came across the same machine for $30 less at Costco. <Sigh>
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Alise Oliver

Rank

Just got here

Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:38 pm

by Alise Oliver » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:40 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Laura Brand-Bauer wrote:Cynthia - I was reading reviews of this product at amazon and many people complained about the basket popping out.

Nope, I've had nothing but joy with it.

The friend who gave it to me has one and so does his other best friend. None of us have any complaints.

I just received a Grind and Brew for a christmas present. It is quite time-consuming to clean the multiple parts, but my biggest peeve is that the grinder doesn't accommodate enough beans to make my preferred strength of brew...I'm checking into some other beans to see if that'll make a difference.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:15 am

I just did a search on Coffee Makers in here because I want to replace my almost brand new Cuisinart Grind and Brew (that I bought from Costco.) I'm kinda bummed because it looks really nice with my brushed stainless appliances.... Anyway, I had remembered this thread, so thought I'd come back to glean a little info. I hate to disagree with Cynthia, but the Grind and Brew is the worst coffee maker I have ever used. The compartment that the beans go into is right next to the water reservoir, and therefore condensation seeps in and gets the beans all wet. They subsequently stick inside the compartment so it needs to be cleaned every single time you use it, but worse, they don't get used toward the pot of coffee you are making. That, combined with the flat basket make for incredibly weak coffee (and I'm someone who thinks that Starbucks coffee is too strong). I can't wait to get rid of this thing. Still researching. I like my Capresso machine in California, so I may go that route.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:30 am

Carrie L. wrote:I hate to disagree with Cynthia

Huh. I am starting to wonder if I got the only good one out there, although my 2 friends that have them love them too. I drink my coffee strong, and have no trouble getting it the way I like it... but perhaps I use a different roast of beans or something.

The cleaning of the parts doesn't bother me. I used to have to clean my stand-alone grinder too, so I just clean a grinder in a different place now.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:12 am

My MIL Bought some coffee from Gevalia to get their coffee maker free, then my wife decided she wanted one too, and so we surplused out the Black & Decker drip machine at our recent garage sale. So far the wife likes the Gevalia. I'm just getting into the coffee habit - I love the smell but hate the taste - but I find myself needing the caffeine...
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:23 am

My wife got the same machine. It's nice.

The coffee we got was so bad I thought there might have been a chemical taint in the coffeemaker. We ran hot water through it two more times, made some coffee from my usual brand, and that tasted OK. I ran a pot of the Gevalia coffee and I got that same chemical smell.

To be clear, I don't think this IS a chemical taint, it's just the way this coffee (it's got a name something like "proctoscope") smells. Is it natural or is it an additive? I have no idea.

Anyway, the coffeemaker is nice.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:10 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I just did a search on Coffee Makers in here because I want to replace my almost brand new Cuisinart Grind and Brew (that I bought from Costco.) I'm kinda bummed because it looks really nice with my brushed stainless appliances.... Anyway, I had remembered this thread, so thought I'd come back to glean a little info. I hate to disagree with Cynthia, but the Grind and Brew is the worst coffee maker I have ever used. The compartment that the beans go into is right next to the water reservoir, and therefore condensation seeps in and gets the beans all wet. They subsequently stick inside the compartment so it needs to be cleaned every single time you use it, but worse, they don't get used toward the pot of coffee you are making. That, combined with the flat basket make for incredibly weak coffee (and I'm someone who thinks that Starbucks coffee is too strong). I can't wait to get rid of this thing. Still researching. I like my Capresso machine in California, so I may go that route.

Wow, Carrie, that's unacceptable service. Hate to hear bad stuff about Cuisinart--for awhile it seemed like Cuisinart was going to be THE new good appliance maker, the one with the smartest, most forward thinking and reliable equipment. It's not really turning out that way. I guess the good news is that since you bought it at Costco vs. a conventional department store, you're assured of a refund.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:19 am

Cynthia, maybe you did get a better version of the coffee maker. I guess it's possible that they changed manufacturers for the same design and the newer ones are cr#p. I'm glad yours works so well for you. :)

Jenise, I'm not sure about Costco, actually. I should call them. I bought the coffee maker last October here in NC, and a few weeks later we left for the desert and were there up until about a week ago. I didn't save the box, so I may be out of luck... I'm actually surprised Costco sold these. They are ususally very particular about the quality of items they sell. (The bad thing is that our Costco out here is about 2 hours away. I'll have to wait until I REALLY need something from there.)

All we really have in the way of places to buy small appliances is Bed Bath and Beyond and a department store callled Belks. I ended up getting a Krups (FME 4--whatever that means) at BBB, and made my first pot this morning. It's good! No grinder, but I want to get one separately anyway. Don't want to take any more chances with condensation in my beans. The only burr grinder BBB had was a Cuisinart. Yikes! Think I'll get something online. Anyone have a good grinder recommendation? (I do like my Capresso grinder in CA, but I'm not married to it.) Also, I didn't go with the thermal carafe. I've actually been missing "seeing" my coffee in the carafe. I drink it quickly enough that it doesn't stay on the burner too long.

Stuart, I used to drink Gevalia coffee and it was always very good. Rich and complex. I didn't detect anything odd about it. But again, this was about 15 years ago, so it's probably changed some... Is the coffee maker they offer 10 or 12 cup?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:23 am

It's a 12 cup unit, cone filters.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:37 am

Hmmm. I should have ordered some Gevalia coffee then! Maybe I'll get it as a spare.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:29 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Cynthia, maybe you did get a better version of the coffee maker. I guess it's possible that they changed manufacturers for the same design and the newer ones are cr#p. I'm glad yours works so well for you. :)

Jenise, I'm not sure about Costco, actually. I should call them. I bought the coffee maker last October here in NC, and a few weeks later we left for the desert and were there up until about a week ago. I didn't save the box, so I may be out of luck... I'm actually surprised Costco sold these. They are ususally very particular about the quality of items they sell. (The bad thing is that our Costco out here is about 2 hours away. I'll have to wait until I REALLY need something from there.)

All we really have in the way of places to buy small appliances is Bed Bath and Beyond and a department store callled Belks. I ended up getting a Krups (FME 4--whatever that means) at BBB, and made my first pot this morning. It's good! No grinder, but I want to get one separately anyway. Don't want to take any more chances with condensation in my beans. The only burr grinder BBB had was a Cuisinart. Yikes! Think I'll get something online. Anyone have a good grinder recommendation? (I do like my Capresso grinder in CA, but I'm not married to it.) Also, I didn't go with the thermal carafe. I've actually been missing "seeing" my coffee in the carafe. I drink it quickly enough that it doesn't stay on the burner too long.

Stuart, I used to drink Gevalia coffee and it was always very good. Rich and complex. I didn't detect anything odd about it. But again, this was about 15 years ago, so it's probably changed some... Is the coffee maker they offer 10 or 12 cup?

Carrie -

Our Krups FME2 has been a very solid unit for us and makes great-tasting coffee (or did until I shattered the carafe - I'm on the hunt for a replacement now).

For grinders, I'd check out http://www.coffeegeek.com - they have lots of recommendations and strong opinions on this stuff. One thing to consider is what you need from the grinder. If it will be used strictly for brewed coffee, then you can get away with a relatively cheap model. If you're going to use it for an espresso machine then you'll need to pay some more to get a really good one that will give a really consistent grind. We have an old Krups burr grinder that's great for brewed coffee but not usable for espresso.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Carrie,

I know a lot of people who have returned things at Costco months later, even up to a year, and without the box. I've not done anything as extreme, but the few items I've returned have always been a "yes, ma'am" no hassle situation. You're entitled to a refund for something as bad as you describe. But separately, I use a Cuisinart burr grinder and I love it. Maybe the grinder alone is just fine?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:42 pm

Probably "Procope", named for the cafe in Paris.

Not among their better blends.

Jeff [ ...who uses Melitta cones! ]
Previous